Was UK right to give Salman Rushdie a knighthood?

Did the Queen of England show bad judgement in knighting Salman Rushdie at this time?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BagAngel

Louis Vuitton Addict
O.G.
Oct 30, 2006
I think at this particular time with tensions running so high that whoever advised the Queen to do this just didn't have a brain! How many lives will be lost now because of this act of madness? What do you think?

It terrifies me, I am going to London with my children late August I am really thinking of cancelling. Last few bombs may have failed but these people will succeed at some point I have no doubt.

Al Qaeda threatens 'response' to Rushdie knighthood

Al Qaeda threat: Salman Rushdie (Getty Images: Sean Gallup)

Al Qaeda second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahiri says the group is reparing a "precise response" to Britain's decision to bestow a knighthood on author Salman Rushdie.
"I say to [Britain's Queen] Elizabeth and [former British Prime Minister Tony] Blair that your message has reached us and we are in the process of preparing for you a precise response," Zawahiri said in an audio recording posted on an Internet website often used by Islamic militants.
Rushdie was knighted by the Queen last month in her birthday honours list, bringing condemnation from a number of Muslim countries and organisations.
The author is accused by some Muslims of blaspheming Islam in his novel The Satanic Verses" which triggered an international furore when it was first published in 1988.
The Indian-born Rushdie, 59, was forced to go into hiding for a decade after then Iranian supreme leader Aytatollah Khomeini issued a 1989 death sentence over the book.
Khomeini's successor, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said in January 2005 he still believed the British novelist was an apostate whose killing would be authorised by Islam.
Following Rushdie's knighting, Iran said the death sentence still stands.
In the audio message entitled "Malicious Britain and its Indian Slaves", Zawahiri said Britain was hypocritical for giving Rushdie the knighthood under the banner of freedom of speech.
"Why don't they honour the British historian David Irving? The Queen of Britain ... did not honour him because she cannot rebel against the Jews, who are her masters," he said.
Mr Irving spent 13 months in jail in Austria following a conviction there for Holocaust denial.
Zawahiri also warned Britain's new prime minister, Gordon Brown, to alter his state's foreign policy.
"The policy of your predecessor [Blair] has brought tragedy and defeat upon you. Not only in Afghanistan and Iraq but also in the centre of London. If you do not understand this lesson, then we are prepared to repeat it to you," he said.
Four Al Qaeda-inspired British nationals blew themselves up on the London transit system on July 7, 2005, killing themselves and 52 commuters.
On Monday, a British court found four men guilty over a failed Islamist plot to set off bombs in London two weeks after the 2005 bombing.
At the end of June, just two days after Mr Brown took over from Mr Blair, two car bombs were discovered in central London. A flaming Jeep Cherokee slammed into Glasgow airport's main terminal the following day.
On Sunday, newly appointed security and counter-terrorism minister Sir Alan West said Britain faced a 15-year battle against Islamist extremism.

The Queen has the right to do what ever she wants, but I think this move will bring some major problems to the UK. Sooner or later the terrorists will do something major and to me what has happed this past month is leading up to it.

^^^^^

I totally agree Gillianna, I think for the sake of her subjects she could have exercised more discretion.

I think the British Government should apologise immediately to avert a huge catastrophe but I am sure they are happy to sacrifice whatever people die in the coming attacks for their "principles", this has made me so angry!

The problems with extremism in the UK have been brewing way longer than the problems with Rushdie have existed. The extremists will find some reason to hate, no matter what, so I don't think it really matters at this point. I feel bad that everyone in the UK are going through this stuff. It really sucks. :sad:

The problems with extremism in the UK have been brewing way longer than the problems with Rushdie have existed. The extremists will find some reason to hate, no matter what, so I don't think it really matters at this point. I feel bad that everyone in the UK are going through this stuff. It really sucks. :sad:
I totally agree Roo, I just think it is foolish to do anything at the minute to inflame the situation, basically give them an excuse to attack & put lives at risk & this has done exactly that.

I've never read The Satanic Verses but he's a good author and maybe he does deserve a knighthood, but it's difficult, because on the one hand the Queen feels he deserves to be knighted and Britian shouldn't spend their lives living in fear. On the other hand, there were voiced threats of consequences if he were knighted.

(I just find it interesting that Al Quaeda is going to retaliate against him in the name of his blasphemy against Islam when they're the ones manipulating the words of the Koran to suit their own agenda.)

the definaition of terrorist
ˈterrorist noun

a person who tries to frighten people or governments into doing what he/she wants by using or threatening violence

If the decision was made to award the knighthood and then changed (even before the announcement) the terrorists win, you don't have to trigger a bomb to be a terrorist you just have to say you will.

It's a difficult call, but to me it's seems bad timing clearly cells are trying to do an attack in the UK provoking them doesn't seem like the wisest choice

I totally agree Roo, I just think it is foolish to do anything at the minute to inflame the situation, basically give them an excuse to attack & put lives at risk & this has done exactly that.

The thing is, they'll find ANOTHER excuse... the extremists hate the West so the fact that the West exists at all is enough of an excuse.

ayman al-sucky should get a life. Talk about holding a grudge against a man, he talks about "the Jews" being the Queen's master, well hell, he's a slave to his own pathetic hatred. I hope his filthy cave gets napalmed. argh this stuff makes me so mad.
I can't even continue with an intelligent cohesive response...
I have to agree that this isn't the best time, however I don't think it'll ever be a good time to make him a knight. Better to continue on with pride I suppose.

the definaition of terrorist
ˈterrorist noun

a person who tries to frighten people or governments into doing what he/she wants by using or threatening violence

If the decision was made to award the knighthood and then changed (even before the announcement) the terrorists win, you don't have to trigger a bomb to be a terrorist you just have to say you will.

It's a difficult call, but to me it's seems bad timing clearly cells are trying to do an attack in the UK provoking them doesn't seem like the wisest choice
ITA Claire

The thing is, they'll find ANOTHER excuse... the extremists hate the West so the fact that the West exists at all is enough of an excuse.
You are right of course Roo but still say that to blatantly antagonise them was lunacy. The feelings against Rushdie have been well documented, in fact I am surprised that he has escaped the assassins.
However, not only has this decision put the British people at risk, it has also renewed the campaign to "take him out". The knighthood really didn't do him any favours.

^^^^

Yes Roo, I am a great believer in "When you have your hand in the dog's mouth, take it out easy"
This really seems like waving a red rag to a bull & unfortunately many people will die because of it. I have no doubt that Al Quaeda can pull off a 9/11 in UK!

i think the terrorists will find any reason to hate the west.

but i don't believe the queen was showing good judgement in this decision, i can't believe that her advisors didn't dissuade her from it.

He deserves a knighthood because he's a good writer, but to give him that title now (so close to the two year anniversary of the London Bombings) is the wrong thing to do.

The timing is really unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.