Durable like Clemence, but smooth like Swift recommendation

Vache Liegee is a nice leather. If you do a search in the forum, there are comparison of Vache Liegee and other such as Clemence. My preference is really Vache natural or Barenia. They both aged with character. I used my barenia b intensely that she has to take a break in spa now. Vache shows marks but the patina is unique. Docride has very creative works on VN bags. You may want to search for her posts as well. Happy hunting!
Thank you very much, allywchu1! I will look them up to make sure it’s not too grainy. Barenia is on the top of my list, but I’m tired of my everyday bag and black is a very easy grab and go color for me.

There you go pg28 has all the answers
Alternatively you may consider secondary market for those limited colors
My biggest fear with that is ending up with a fake. Hopefully if I go that route, I’ll find it from a reputable seller, well known around here. Thanks again for the help, bagidiotic.

Thank you, disappeared.
Just looked it up and realized Evercolor is the colored version of Evergrain.
I dont believe evercolor is the “colored version” of evergrain. I have evercolor bags and they are slightly grainier than swift but quite scratch resistant and low maintenance. Maybe the experts can chime in on the difference of evercolor and evergrain?

Hi guys,

I’m on the hunt for an everyday black B30 (or maybe 25) to substitute my small Valentino Rockstud.

I would like your advice on which smooth leathers are the most durable? (needs the least babying? Also, if ot starts raining and a couple of drops hit it, I’ll have time to cover it without permanent damage?).
I love Swift, Box, Sombrero, etc, which are not known to be the workhorses that Togo and Clemence are, unfortunately I’m not crazy about either...).
P.S. I’m happy to hunt down a bag in a leather no longer in production, so feel free to go vintage on me

Thank you in advance and looking forward to your suggestions!

I don't think Swift requires babying but full disclosure I don't baby anything and in some circles of tPF I would be labeled a bag abuser but this is my swift B30 which is almost two years old, used in regular rotation and still looks lovely. I use a Rue Paradis insert when in use, store it with just air pillows and on it's back. I think it's a great leather, light and great in a light rain.

Swift in black was a special order when I asked for it so my store surprised me by getting it made for me. I don't know if they are doing larger than 25 in it these days. I love smooth leathers and as Box and black Barenia were not an option, I went with swift and couldn't be happier. Unless a box or barenia black magically appears, I'm going to save and save till a black matte exotic finds me!

614DE85F-2481-408C-9F46-C55473917441.jpeg

I don't think Swift requires babying but full disclosure I don't baby anything and in some circles of tPF I would be labeled a bag abuser but this is my swift B30 which is almost two years old, used in regular rotation and still looks lovely. I use a Rue Paradis insert when in use, store it with just air pillows and on it's back. I think it's a great leather, light and great in a light rain.

Swift in black was a special order when I asked for it so my store surprised me by getting it made for me. I don't know if they are doing larger than 25 in it these days. I love smooth leathers and as Box and black Barenia were not an option, I went with swift and couldn't be happier. Unless a box or barenia black magically appears, I'm going to save and save till a black matte exotic finds me!

View attachment 4218612
I love your bag! How great of them to SO it and surprise you with it.
My Swift B25 is Etoupe and I treat her a bit with kid gloves, I admit; it’s the reason I’ve been hesitant to make her my everyday bag until I get a black one, only to find out now that Swift is not the ‘rose petal’ I thought it was. My only wonder is, will Etoupe Swift ‘age nicely’ (get a ‘patina’) or will get dirty and look worn?
Someday I would love to come home with a matte exotic as well!

Reactions: MSO13
I think Swift is quite tough. I have a Swift Toolbox that has not been babied in the LEAST and looks wonderful, it's about 4 years old now. It has a few very very faint scratches (can't be seen in normal light) - but those were caused by an actual puppy paw (facepalm) when I left something yummy in the bag (facepalm #2). So, unless your dog decides to play with your bags, Swift is probably a good bet!

Vache Liegee is a nice leather. If you do a search in the forum, there are comparison of Vache Liegee and other such as Clemence. My preference is really Vache natural or Barenia. They both aged with character. I used my barenia b intensely that she has to take a break in spa now. Vache shows marks but the patina is unique. Docride has very creative works on VN bags. You may want to search for her posts as well. Happy hunting!

You would do well to study all DocRide's postings in the reference section.
They will help you make a well-informed choice.
You will also know where to look once you have your bag and want the best advice on general care and weatherproofing.

p.s. Traditional Barenia is the obvious choice that comes to mind, but you might need to search the pre-loved route.
(not Barenia Faubourg as that has not yet built up a long-term reputation, nor is it smooth)

Last edited:
I think Swift is quite tough. I have a Swift Toolbox that has not been babied in the LEAST and looks wonderful, it's about 4 years old now. It has a few very very faint scratches (can't be seen in normal light) - but those were caused by an actual puppy paw (facepalm) when I left something yummy in the bag (facepalm #2). So, unless your dog decides to play with your bags, Swift is probably a good bet!
That’s great to know, QuelleFromage. The more I hear about Swift, the more I’m getting encouraged about using my Etoupe bag more often. What color is your bag?