Durable like Clemence, but smooth like Swift recommendation

You would do well to study all DocRide's postings in the reference section.
They will help you make a well-informed choice.
You will also know where to look once you have your bag and want the best advice on general care and weatherproofing.

p.s. Traditional Barenia is the obvious choice that comes to mind, but you might need to search the pre-loved route.
(not Barenia Faubourg as that has not yet built up a long-term reputation, nor is it smooth)
Thank you, PJW581. I have been there before but not lately.
From the leathers currently under production, I’m really liking the look of Evercalf. If Black Barenia was that easy to find (not even sure if they made it B 25s or 30s), could be would be worth pursuing, as it’s a gorgeous leather.
Fauve Barenia is another on my wish list, but Barenia Faubourg is not really...

Another positive review for swift. My ultraviolet swift toolbox is a number of years old (I forget when ultraviolet came out) and the corners are perfect and no scratches.
Thank you, lulilu. I think because Etoupe is not that dark, my biggest concern was that instead of aging gracefully and ‘darken’ in. nice way like some leathers develop a patina, it would just look dirty and worn.

Reactions: lulilu
Another vote for swift. I has her for more than two years, and she looks amazing. Love the sheen on her, and dare I say, she looks better now than the day I bought her
Thank you, starprism_7!
She does look amazing! The more I hear and now see your gorgeous bag, the happier I am about my Swift bag and the more likely I am to buy a black one in Swift again. I don’t know why people made me think it was such a delicate leather.
It’s such a delicious, gorgeous leather. It has a sheen in some lights, it’s matte in others. It’s sublime. I love it!

Thank you, starprism_7!
She does look amazing! The more I hear and now see your gorgeous bag, the happier I am about my Swift bag and the more likely I am to buy a black one in Swift again. I don’t know why people made me think it was such a delicate leather.
It’s such a delicious, gorgeous leather. It has a sheen in some lights, it’s matte in others. It’s sublime. I love it!

ITA but misinformation was posted early on and unfortunately it's stuck. Even the Ode to Swift is the sorriest ode I've ever read and mostly populated by people who don't have and never had Swift.

In my time on the forum Box and Barenia have gone from 'never touch' to obsession status. Perhaps if H made Swift virtually impossible to buy it's rep may turnaround ;)

I never thought of black Swift (although I was offered one). I suppose it's because the leather takes colour so well. After seeing black Swift on this thread consider my mind changed although admittedly I already own too many black bags and already 2 large Swift (which are everyday bags for me)

My thoughts (if it will help) is that greys and browns age most gracefully, even if not a mid to dark shade so try not to worry too much about your Etoupe. It's the mid to light brights and pastels that are slightly more prone.

ITA but misinformation was posted early on and unfortunately it's stuck. Even the Ode to Swift is the sorriest ode I've ever read and mostly populated by people who don't have and never had Swift.

In my time on the forum Box and Barenia have gone from 'never touch' to obsession status. Perhaps if H made Swift virtually impossible to buy it's rep may turnaround ;)

I never thought of black Swift (although I was offered one). I suppose it's because the leather takes colour so well. After seeing black Swift on this thread consider my mind changed although admittedly I already own too many black bags and already 2 large Swift (which are everyday bags for me)

My thoughts (if it will help) is that greys and browns age most gracefully, even if not a mid to dark shade so try not to worry too much about your Etoupe. It's the mid to light brights and pastels that are slightly more prone.

Thank you so much for your post, Papertiger. This really puts my mind at ease :smile:
I hate to have such a beautiful bag and not be able to enjoy it for the fear it get ruined in no time. It’s such a relief to hear my fears are unfounded and I can enjoy my bag and maybe hopefully get another one in black someday.

I truly appreciate yours and everyone’s feedback as I LOVE smooth leathers, not just Swift and you can never know enough when it comes to H.

Last edited:
Reactions: papertiger
@blondissima777 You are most welcome! TBH, i was scared to reading all the scary stories about swift. Many says its very easy to scratch and hard to maintain. But the moment I see her in person, I cant say no to the her. I think your etoupe in swift is amazing!

Lightweight, water resistance, light scratches can be buffed, takes color amazingly. Im personally impressed with swift. Corner & handle darkening is expected from usage of any leather.

Another option for smooth leathers would be novillo and evercolor perhaps. Its my dream too to own a black barenia one day :heart: but i take black swift any day!

@blondissima777 You are most welcome! TBH, i was scared to reading all the scary stories about swift. Many says its very easy to scratch and hard to maintain. But the moment I see her in person, I cant say no to the her. I think your etoupe in swift is amazing!

Lightweight, water resistance, light scratches can be buffed, takes color amazingly. Im personally impressed with swift. Corner & handle darkening is expected from usage of any leather.

Another option for smooth leathers would be novillo and evercolor perhaps. Its my dream too to own a black barenia one day :heart: but i take black swift any day!
Thank you, starprism. Swift is sublime, Black Barenia would be a dream.
Evercalf looks very nice, too. Looks even smoother than Novillo and Evercolor (probably more high maintenance, too?)

I would love to see a black side to side Swift and Evercalf, if someone have something in both. Thanks in advance!