Need advice for a Marc Jacobs Stam and sticky handles!

windy

O.G.
Sep 30, 2006
I could really use some help on a purchase I just made through eBay. I received a 2005 Marc Jacobs Stam that was still new with tags on eBay. I paid $250.00 for the bag, plus shipping of $15.00. It has the icy leather and of course the wonderful suede lining. It is obvious it has never been used, but unfortunately has the sticky handle problem. If it did not have this problem it would be prefect. Unfortunately, I truly hate the feel of the handles!! I have wanted this bag for a long time and finding it in new condition seems rare 13 years later. I don't really want to send it back.

It was purchased by the seller from a estate sale. He is a nice man and is willing to work with me about compensation. He would like me to say what I feel is fair, but am totally confused. He did not know about the problem or would have listed it as an issue. What are your thoughts on compensation for this very unfortunate problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I could really use some help on a purchase I just made through eBay. I received a 2005 Marc Jacobs Stam that was still new with tags on eBay. I paid $250.00 for the bag, plus shipping of $15.00. It has the icy leather and of course the wonderful suede lining. It is obvious it has never been used, but unfortunately has the sticky handle problem. If it did not have this problem it would be prefect. Unfortunately, I truly hate the feel of the handles!! I have wanted this bag for a long time and finding it in new condition seems rare 13 years later. I don't really want to send it back.

It was purchased by the seller from a estate sale. He is a nice man and is willing to work with me about compensation. He would like me to say what I feel is fair, but am totally confused. He did not know about the problem or would have listed it as an issue. What are your thoughts on compensation for this very unfortunate problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hmm. The only sticky handle problem with a stam that I've experienced is when it was stored in a box in a room that was too humid. I left it out and a few weeks later the handles were no longer sticky.

Is only the sealant sticky or the entire handle? I would bring it to a leather repair place and see if they can give you a quote to fix it. Being refunded the cost to repair it is fair.

However, this is the only recent listing I can find for an icy stam that matches the details you provided
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MARC-JACOB...vip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

If this is what you purchased, it is not authentic.

I just checked the bag again. The zippers underneath are stamped with Lampo in the correct signature. I also double checked the style number listed on the tag of C352065. In an old purse forum discussion they stated the style number of C352065 should match the tag of F05 610 which is what the tag states inside this bag's interior pocket. All hardware is marked with Marc Jacobs name. I am confused as to what I am missing. If anyone knows why it is not authentic, please let me know. Thanks so much!

@windy The font, as @Antigone noted, is incorrect. As is the overall look of the bag. I don't know what the season tag on yours looks like (that's the one that says F05 610) but I'm sure they didn't get the look of that right, either.

Here is a link to an authentic Fall 2005 Icy Taupe
https://www.yoogiscloset.com/handba...lassic-quilted-calfskin-leather-stam-bag.html

an authentic name plate (the grommet is from a store and irrelevant)
mj0722a__7_2.jpg

and the plate on yours. The most obvious tell is that the leg of the R is curved when it should be straight.
s-l1600.jpg

Sorry. Hopefully the seller will make the return process easy for you.

Thank you so much for your input! I am disapointed that it is counterfeit, but thankful I found out from this forum. I have taken pictures of the bag today to show other markings. I want to make sure all has been covered prior to contacting the seller. Please verify that the pictures further verify the fact that the bag is a fake. Thank you!fullsizeoutput_10.jpegfullsizeoutput_11.jpegDSC04083.JPG fullsizeoutput_f.jpeg

The seller refunded me for the bag. He was great to work with to resolve the matter. He is not a seller of handbags and did not know he was selling a counterfeit bag.

Thanks again for all the help!

The seller refunded me for the bag. He was great to work with to resolve the matter. He is not a seller of handbags and did not know he was selling a counterfeit bag.

Thanks again for all the help!

Glad to hear the seller was easy to work with. Hope you’re able to find another (authentic) one :smile:

I believe the problem is that Marc Jacobs chose the least expensive way to finish their patent leather. I have a small bag from 2009-ish and recently discovered that the whole thing is so slimy, it's not usable. I'm hoping I can find a cure.