Have you noticed people get jealous of your bags?

Last time I went to Vegas, I went to a LV store with DH. It was not overly busy but I was not greeted and pretty much ignored. I walked out and hubby wondered why we were in and out of the store and I was not talking much..he knows my shopping habits:giggle: I told him I got upset. When I walk inside a store especially high end, I want to be acknowledged and assisted. This experience stung a bit. I was carrying a LV bag and part of me was proud to walk in there with my newest bag and show my appreciation for the brand. Needless to say I used hubby as my own shield. I'm filipino chinese..more chinese looking though and hubby is caucasian. People also often mistake me for a kid as I am petite and look a lot younger than my age. I dressed fashionably casual but I looked like I put some effort into it. So I don't know what it was about my profile that triggered them to not assist me. We went back to LV and hubby spoke with someone and now got assisted by the store director. Went to another LV down at the other part of the strip and was waited on by a very nice SA right when we entered. Night and day experience.
I do believe we can use our expensive designer brands to our advantage from time to time. It should not be the scale to which it measures our worth but sometimes other people do.
Part of me can relate to the book crazy rich asians. I grew up middle class in Manila. How you dress and the brands you wear matters to how other people treat you. If you look lousy you will definitely hear and feel it, especially relatives.

Last edited:
LOVE the response! I don’t think it was over the top, she was overly rude!!!

One time I was returning back to the US from a Caribbean vacation and the TSA agent asked me who paid for my trip...I was sooo offended! That is DEFINITELY not a security question! I wanted to say that my pimp did but I just wanted to get home [emoji23][/QUOTE

I honestly thought that I was the only person in the world that this happened to! My jaw hit the floor reading your post.
I was in Orlando airport and got pulled for the additional screening by tsa. He asked me who paid for my trip! I was so shocked that I fumbled to even answer him.
Finally I said that I paid for it because I was just so ready to go. I was humiliated. I was dressed nice so couldn't figure out why he assumed someone else paid my way. Maybe I wasn't dressed as nice as I thought? Who knows .

LOVE the response! I don’t think it was over the top, she was overly rude!!!

One time I was returning back to the US from a Caribbean vacation and the TSA agent asked me who paid for my trip...I was sooo offended! That is DEFINITELY not a security question! I wanted to say that my pimp did but I just wanted to get home [emoji23]

Lol!!! I understand. Usually when someone throws shade they are unable to accept it. But that should not stop you from keeping a couple of snappy comebacks in your designer bag.

I honestly thought that I was the only person in the world that this happened to! My jaw hit the floor reading your post.
I was in Orlando airport and got pulled for the additional screening by tsa. He asked me who paid for my trip! I was so shocked that I fumbled to even answer him.
Finally I said that I paid for it because I was just so ready to go. I was humiliated. I was dressed nice so couldn't figure out why he assumed someone else paid my way. Maybe I wasn't dressed as nice as I thought? Who knows .

It is unfortunate that you were asked that question. A close friend was asked the same question by TSA and a passenger :sad:.

After reading this thread word for word, I'm now scared that people will mistake my compliments as jealously! Lol!
I really hope that I'm not coming across as jealous by complimenting a bad that belongs
It is unfortunate that you were asked that question. A close friend was asked the same question by TSA and a passenger :sad:.
I'm beginning to wonder if they have some reason to ask it being that several of us have had this experience? I can't think of why it would matter who paid for the trip though .I was taken back by it and got upset. I wish I would've came up with a snarky response. Lol

I'm beginning to wonder if they have some reason to ask it being that several of us have had this experience? I can't think of why it would matter who paid for the trip though .I was taken back by it and got upset. I wish I would've came up with a snarky response. Lol

ETA: My thought is this has nothing to do with being reviewed as financially capable or deserving based on appearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaBish
The TSA question is usually aimed at identifying human trafficking.
If you were a young woman carrying luxury brands and appeared nervous at all you could have been mistakenly identified as a victim of human trafficking.
In real cases of human trafficking that occurs frequently in airports, traffickers will lure young women and girls in with expensive gifts and promises of acting or modeling jobs (usually), buy them a one-way plane ticket and send them off. The women are then trapped when they get off the plane into a life of sexual favors and performances with the promise that they'll one day "earn" their freedom when they "pay back" the money given to them in the form of luxury gifts and the airline ticket and whatever else they can leverage.

One of the best ways personnel have been successful at stopping human trafficking in their tracks has been to ask potential victims questions like "who bought your plane ticket" and "are you flying with anyone today" and "when are you returning".

Oprah was snubbed not once but twice at Hermes stores (as any quick google search will show). It doesn't take an expert to see she faced what MANY people of color face when walking into any store. I think its totally relevant to the discussion for people to share their experiences of being denied proper service or having been on he receiving end of microaggresions for the perception that they cannot afford or are not worthy of designer wares.
I think nearly every woman has been the victim of some kind of stereotyping, whether microagressions based on racial bias, or other misdirected prejudices stemming from sexism, size-ism, age-ism, socioeconomic differences, homophobia or good ole' gender stereotypes. I always enjoy when others think that because I look a certain way, everything in my life must have just showed up on a silver platter. Or when an SA (or many times other women) says that my husband must be such a generous man to afford me all of these amazing bags, what does he do for a living (?). It's a battle to defend that I've worked for every dollar, and that I support my husband, not vice versa!

Unfortunately we live in a world where far too many people compare their insides to other people's outsides, and social media has only fanned the flames of you must have this or look like this or act like this or you are not 'ok', instead of judging who we are based on intrinsic qualities, principles and values.

If you were a young woman carrying luxury brands and appeared nervous at all you could have been mistakenly identified as a victim of human trafficking.
In real cases of human trafficking that occurs frequently in airports, traffickers will lure young women and girls in with expensive gifts and promises of acting or modeling jobs (usually), buy them a one-way plane ticket and send them off. The women are then trapped when they get off the plane into a life of sexual favors and performances with the promise that they'll one day "earn" their freedom when they "pay back" the money given to them in the form of luxury gifts and the airline ticket and whatever else they can leverage.

One of the best ways personnel have been successful at stopping human trafficking in their tracks has been to ask potential victims questions like "who bought your plane ticket" and "are you flying with anyone today" and "when are you returning".
THIS ^^^
I just didn't want to offend, further, by expressing incorrectly.

Yes! I was thinking the same thing. Very nicely put!

Oprah was snubbed not once but twice at Hermes stores (as any quick google search will show). It doesn't take an expert to see she faced what MANY people of color face when walking into any store. I think its totally relevant to the discussion for people to share their experiences of being denied proper service or having been on he receiving end of microaggresions for the perception that they cannot afford or are not worthy of designer wares.

I totally agree with you. There was a tinge of some type of discrimination with Oprah's experience. It is unfortunate but it happens. It is a far reach for some to understand but once you have one of these experiences it will change you.

Reactions: Lemonmint
I think nearly every woman has been the victim of some kind of stereotyping, whether microagressions based on racial bias, or other misdirected prejudices stemming from sexism, size-ism, age-ism, socioeconomic differences, homophobia or good ole' gender stereotypes..

I've heard from my female co-worker aged 25 or something like that that sugar daddy (=my husband who's 20 years older than me and who once only bought me a small Gucci bag making a lot of fuss about it :P) funded my Chanel bags. We are both highly educated, promoted to a management position at the same time and yet the fact that i spent my payrise and higher bonus this way bothered her. At the time I was upset, now I wear my bags with honour and am not shy about buying nice things from my own salary-typically when somebody is trying to be a smart ass I ask- would you ask me if i were a man?

While I was shopping in Goodwill today, a young woman (carrying a really cheap-looking white Chanel knock-off, ironically) bumped into my brand new Coach Chelsea bag. She also gave me a dirty look. About a minute later, in another part of the store, something told me to look at my bag, because it happened to me before with a Coach signature bag. An older woman bumped into the bag and then I found a pink pen mark on it (I don't own a pink pen). Anyway, sure enough, there was a dark mark on the side of my Chelsea, the side she bumped into. I immediately got it off with spit (gross, but hey, I had to act quickly, lol) and my shirt as a "rag". Luckily, the mark came off fairly easily, so I think it was makeup, and not pen this time. Oh, and I noticed her bag was open, so she could easily access what ever she hit my bag with.

So yeah, I think some people are jealous of others, and stuff like this happens a lot. Keying someone's car is a perfect example.

Last edited:
Reactions: missconvy