Have you noticed people get jealous of your bags?

The TSA question is usually aimed at identifying human trafficking.
If you were a young woman carrying luxury brands and appeared nervous at all you could have been mistakenly identified as a victim of human trafficking.
In real cases of human trafficking that occurs frequently in airports, traffickers will lure young women and girls in with expensive gifts and promises of acting or modeling jobs (usually), buy them a one-way plane ticket and send them off. The women are then trapped when they get off the plane into a life of sexual favors and performances with the promise that they'll one day "earn" their freedom when they "pay back" the money given to them in the form of luxury gifts and the airline ticket and whatever else they can leverage.

One of the best ways personnel have been successful at stopping human trafficking in their tracks has been to ask potential victims questions like "who bought your plane ticket" and "are you flying with anyone today" and "when are you returning".
Thanks for sharing this, interesting insight.

Thank you to all who have shared their various and at times, harrowing experiences. I will share some experiences and people can decide which one is racially motivated and which is due to lack of manners (but may be due to discrimination based on other factors):

1. I was at the Paris LV flagship store in 2016 and having a browse with a friendly sales associate nearby giving advice and suggestions. It was about 11ish in the morning and suddenly a large number of tourists came in. My previously chatty and friendly sales associate rolled her eyes and said to me, “Oh, the Chinese are here.”
2. Being lectured loudly (open space office) by a colleague that I spend “far too much on bags” and that this is irresponsible behaviour when the same colleague would spend the equivalent, if not more, on sports and hiking equipment.
3. My partner (we are from different racial backgrounds - he is Pakeha/Caucasian and I am Asian and “young” looking) and I were in an antique store. I enquired about a vase, to which the owner quoted an impossibly inflated figure and upon seeing my facial expression, said: “Well darling HE will pay anything for you.” We promptly left the store. I was carrying a LV monogram canvas, so maybe I had asked for it? (Not!)

There are other instances but the most hurtful are the ones where some white folks, thinking because I have a localised accent and mannerism, would try to collude me into a racist dialogue about “other” Asians. Why the f*** should I feel special about being a so-called honorary white?! But I try to focus on the positives, such as being in a rainbow spectrum of volunteers in my local community, united against intolerance of any kind.

The TSA question is usually aimed at identifying human trafficking.
If you were a young woman carrying luxury brands and appeared nervous at all you could have been mistakenly identified as a victim of human trafficking.
In real cases of human trafficking that occurs frequently in airports, traffickers will lure young women and girls in with expensive gifts and promises of acting or modeling jobs (usually), buy them a one-way plane ticket and send them off. The women are then trapped when they get off the plane into a life of sexual favors and performances with the promise that they'll one day "earn" their freedom when they "pay back" the money given to them in the form of luxury gifts and the airline ticket and whatever else they can leverage.

One of the best ways personnel have been successful at stopping human trafficking in their tracks has been to ask potential victims questions like "who bought your plane ticket" and "are you flying with anyone today" and "when are you returning".
Thanks for saying this! I know there had to be something I was missing here since it happened to several of us .I really thought that I was the only one until reading this thread.

Reactions: 2manychins
While I was shopping in Goodwill today, a young woman (carrying a really cheap-looking white Chanel knock-off, ironically) bumped into my brand new Coach Chelsea bag. She also gave me a dirty look. About a minute later, in another part of the store, something told me to look at my bag, because it happened to me before with a Coach signature bag. An older woman bumped into the bag and then I found a pink pen mark on it (I don't own a pink pen). Anyway, sure enough, there was a dark mark on the side of my Chelsea, the side she bumped into. I immediately got it off with spit (gross, but hey, I had to act quickly, lol) and my shirt as a "rag". Luckily, the mark came off fairly easily, so I think it was makeup, and not pen this time. Oh, and I noticed her bag was open, so she could easily access what ever she hit my bag with.

So yeah, I think some people are jealous of others, and stuff like this happens a lot. Keying someone's car is a perfect example.

I'd be more worried that she would have tried to pick pocket you. The bump would be the distraction.

Thanks for saying this! I know there had to be something I was missing here since it happened to several of us .I really thought that I was the only one until reading this thread.

The human trafficking comment make sense for some situation, but the people that I know this happen too were more mature confident women.

Reactions: Tykhe
The human trafficking comment make sense for some situation, but the people that I know this happen too were more mature confident women.
Human trafficking has no face. I guess they just really do it at random. However it is interesting that they do this check and at the same time makes me feel glad they look out for possible victims. If you have seen the show Queen of the South.. it shows different types of women being used to do crimes.

Hi,

I just wanted to ask whether you have experienced any jealousy from other people if they see you have expensive things?

I have had someone run over my foot with their luggage at the subway. It just so happened that I had just been shopping at Louboutin and Chanel and was carrying large boutique bags.

I have also coincidentally had a work colleague spill a drink on my lambskin classic flap which had been sat right next to me and you’d probably have to be aiming for it realistically.

Maybe I’m being paranoid but I feel unfortunately many women get quite jealous if they see another women who has more than them. It’s such a shame as I know personally I never show off nor do i judge others if they don’t have the things I do in any way.

I know I am very blessed to be where I am today. I enjoy my nice things and an fortunate enough to be able to afford them. I am quite surprised though at the reactions it can bring out in other people though.

Would love to hear everyone’s opinions and experiences...

I don’t have any particularly flashy premium designer bags, but I have a nice collection. I have noticed my friends and parents notice my new Coach (my dad actually very noticeably bent over to see what brand it was—we’re lower middle class from the suburbs so Coach is a big deal).

I have a friend that always notices if I have a new bag, which is slightly annoying because I have been constantly buying, selling and trading recently, so it’s quite often I have a bag she has not seen before. She also seems taken aback whenever I wear my Prada sunglasses and asks me when I got THOSE, acting as if she has never seen them before. She has done this 3 times now.

I have purposely curated a nice, professional-looking, but not too flashy collection of mostly sub-$200 bags, so as not to attract unwanted attention. I’m still pretty junior at my job and don’t want to raise eyebrows and get denied raises/promotions because I don’t look like I “need it.”

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...nd-practical-collection-by-diva_k3000.990749/

Reactions: Nancy in VA
I have, over the years, sadly found that many people will be jealous of anything they want that you have, be it a Chanel bag or a happy relationship.

It is a rare trait to not feel jealous over someone else’s wins in life.

Jennifer Stano has a recent quote that I find true: “I have never received a negative comment from a person whose life I wish I had.”

Hi,

I just wanted to ask whether you have experienced any jealousy from other people if they see you have expensive things?

I have had someone run over my foot with their luggage at the subway. It just so happened that I had just been shopping at Louboutin and Chanel and was carrying large boutique bags.

I have also coincidentally had a work colleague spill a drink on my lambskin classic flap which had been sat right next to me and you’d probably have to be aiming for it realistically.

Maybe I’m being paranoid but I feel unfortunately many women get quite jealous if they see another women who has more than them. It’s such a shame as I know personally I never show off nor do i judge others if they don’t have the things I do in any way.

I know I am very blessed to be where I am today. I enjoy my nice things and an fortunate enough to be able to afford them. I am quite surprised though at the reactions it can bring out in other people though.

Would love to hear everyone’s opinions and experiences...
My friend suggested I should do charity work instead of buying bags. Ouch.

Reactions: Hine
I have always been happy and proud to see other women with whatever handbags they could afford, even when I could not afford one. I have several Gucci bags and I usually get compliments on them. I have never paid retail price for one...always 20-50% off. Still, I have had people tell me I'm foolish to spend so much on a bag. I haven't had many problems with strangers. I usually see people coming and move my bag accordingly. I'm quite sure I don't come across as someone to play with. Expensive or not, I will beat a person down...with the bag.

A lot of times DH will tell me who has been googly eyed over my bag when we are out and about. I know he is just especially proud that he is able to support my obsession:blush:

Lol! My DH is exactly like this.

Thankfully, I have no direct experience on my purses etc getting ruined by somebody else. I have a sister in law though, who, almost everytime we see each other, either asks or confirms the brand of shoes, jewelry, and bags that I have on and most of the time how much those were - I find this quite uncomfortable.

Hahha I have not read the answers in this thread, but about the "run over feets"-thing, posted by the OP, this ALWAYS happens to my boyfriend, like every time we are somewhere in public. I don't know if it is because he has long feet or why it's always him that gets run over.

He also gets "bumped into" all the time. I don't get it. He is quite tall so it's not like people doesn't see him. And he certaily doesn't carry anything fancy. The opposit in fact, he always has his 20year old backpack with him wherever he goes (refuses to wear his newer ones), if I did not know for sure that that backpack does not have flees or anything I'd for sure try to stay as far away from him as possible...:doh:

Last edited: