LV Wear and Tear examples and questions (newly bought items)

TheMoon

O.G.
May 15, 2010
Hello, dear LVoers.

I've been thinking recently about LV wear and tear (especially reading about multiple issues with the PM and few other items). I've been looking through my small collection and found out, i do have noticeable changes to some of my items. And what's weird - all of them are relatively new.

Here's what i noticed:
1. Pallas clutch. I own it since October 2017. Once a week, sometimes more. Not very often.
It's zipper lock base almost faded away its gold color.
1OzoL-lgZ4c.jpg

I checked all of my other items, that are same age or older - they look much better.

Also, the corners of it lost the monogram print colour. Looks like it's been erased.
OZuCO__KQVo.jpg

This has happened to all the corners. And again, my oldest piece in monogram doesn't have such wear.

2. Pochette Kirigami (bought in February 2018) and Card holder (bought in January 2018) both have some weird canvas peeling. I don't know hot to describe, it's like some clear layer is peeling off. Once i scratch this, it looks fine again, leaving no signs of peeling. I don't know what it is, and didn't see such issues on tPF before.
I could picture 2 cases, but had more before.

This is on the smallest piece, look at the edge:
B22QfZldD44.jpg

And this is on a largest (at the bottom leaf of the LV flower), same happened to the card holder but i didn't picture:
EMAGlm7VRd8.jpg

To be honest, i am not bothered too much, especially for the second issue, as it's not noticeable for the moment. I just wonder whether you guys have similar observations.
Overall, i am very satisfied with all pieces i own. My 10-year-old speedy looks almost like new. My super-old mini-pochette only shows wear on the vachetta part. My cosmetic pouch went through all my beach bags and is still gorgeous. My new Tournelle PM (bought together with the pallas clutch) is doing very well, though i wear it almost non-stop.

So, apart from the PM bag, do you experience some wear-and-tear or quality issues with you newly purchased items?
Do you think i shall complain about mine?

I think the quality of the canvas has gone downhill recently. Whenever I look at vintage bags, of which myself and my mom have several of, the canvas just seems more rugged and sturdy. The canvas now seems more supple and soft. It also seems like certain styles have a softer canvas being used. But that could be my imagination or have something to do with how the bag is lined. I’m really liking the micro suede lining and wish more bags had that.

I think the quality of the canvas has gone downhill recently. Whenever I look at vintage bags, of which myself and my mom have several of, the canvas just seems more rugged and sturdy. The canvas now seems more supple and soft. It also seems like certain styles have a softer canvas being used. But that could be my imagination or have something to do with how the bag is lined. I’m really liking the micro suede lining and wish more bags had that.
There are different kinds of canvases used. Some softer and some stiffer. Different thicknesses depending on the item.

Can you share a picture?

Here is an example of fading monogram print on the corners of a one-year-old Palm Springs MM backpack that was since exchanged for cracking canvas as well. The last picture is not very clear but it had all faded along the front-pocket zipper as well.
65464C14-C7DE-4B80-BEEB-FED49BD65AD7.jpeg 955B1ADA-4BF2-48BF-B60E-508CE9293306.jpeg 55F7C40A-C8AD-4403-A239-45859D9635B6.jpeg

Attachments

• E830CE5C-AC48-4B3B-83FA-D7B420B6DF48.jpeg
    E830CE5C-AC48-4B3B-83FA-D7B420B6DF48.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 3,041
  • 06E6F194-13A3-4E1E-809D-B1749E8506C7.jpeg
    06E6F194-13A3-4E1E-809D-B1749E8506C7.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 2,996
Last edited:
Reactions: epeLV
Reactions: PrincessAsya
Here is an example of fading monogram print on the corners of a one-year-old Palm Springs MM backpack that was since exchanged for cracking canvas as well.
I see what you mean. How the monogram print is not longer bright and solid, and that you can see the grain of the canvas in the worn off monogram pattern. Even vintage bags I own don’t show this type of grainy wear. The monogram isn’t as bright, and its still worn in high wear areas like corners, but it doesn’t show the texture like your photos show.

Hello, dear LVoers.

I've been thinking recently about LV wear and tear (especially reading about multiple issues with the PM and few other items). I've been looking through my small collection and found out, i do have noticeable changes to some of my items. And what's weird - all of them are relatively new.

Here's what i noticed:
1. Pallas clutch. I own it since October 2017. Once a week, sometimes more. Not very often.
1OzoL-lgZ4c.jpg

I checked all of my other items, that are same age or older - they look much better.

Also, the corners of it lost the monogram print colour. Looks like it's been erased.
OZuCO__KQVo.jpg

This has happened to all the corners. And again, my oldest piece in monogram doesn't have such wear.

2. Pochette Kirigami (bought in February 2018) and Card holder (bought in January 2018) both have some weird canvas peeling. I don't know hot to describe, it's like some clear layer is peeling off. Once i scratch this, it looks fine again, leaving no signs of peeling. I don't know what it is, and didn't see such issues on tPF before.

B22QfZldD44.jpg

And this is on a largest (at the bottom leaf of the LV flower), same happened to the card holder but i didn't picture:
EMAGlm7VRd8.jpg

To be honest, i am not bothered too much, especially for the second issue, as it's not noticeable for the moment. I just wonder whether you guys have similar observations.
Overall, i am very satisfied with all pieces i own. My 10-year-old speedy looks almost like new. My super-old mini-pochette only shows wear on the vachetta part. My cosmetic pouch went through all my beach bags and is still gorgeous. My new Tournelle PM (bought together with the pallas clutch) is doing very well, though i wear it almost non-stop.

So, apart from the PM bag, do you experience some wear-and-tear or quality issues with you newly purchased items?

I had this issue on a multiple wallet in Damier cobalt I bought my son in January. The whole wallet was peeling on first use. I contacted my SA at the flagship store in New York who advised that we gently wash it with a damp clean washcloth. He worked on it and now the peeling is almost gone but occasionally a white area appears. I would contact LV about it. I also have a kirigami set purchased from the same flagship store and have not had a problem. I have a lot of LV canvas products. This is the first problem we have had with LV. It is so weird.

Reactions: TheMoon
Hello, dear LVoers.

Here's what i noticed:
1OzoL-lgZ4c.jpg

OZuCO__KQVo.jpg

B22QfZldD44.jpg

EMAGlm7VRd8.jpg

I also have the Pallas clutch in noir and have the exact same issues. The zipper has started to loose its gold color and the corners are definitely faded.

I am bothered by the zipper fading. I have 2 speedys that I purchased over 15 years ago and the hardware looks perfect. I also have some luggage pieces and again, no issue with the hardware.

I have used the Pallas quite a bit since I purchased it almost 1 year ago. I use it for travel as my everyday bag and use it 3-4 times/week as my everyday bag.

I would usually bring it in and show it to my associate at my local LV, but I purchased this pre-loved on eBay. It was pretty much a new bag, and I had it authenticated by 2 different sources. But I’m really not sure what to tell my associate should I bring it in.

Reactions: TheMoon
I also have the Pallas clutch in noir and have the exact same issues. The zipper has started to loose its gold color and the corners are definitely faded.

I am bothered by the zipper fading. I have 2 speedys that I purchased over 15 years ago and the hardware looks perfect. I also have some luggage pieces and again, no issue with the hardware.

I have used the Pallas quite a bit since I purchased it almost 1 year ago. I use it for travel as my everyday bag and use it 3-4 times/week as my everyday bag.

I would usually bring it in and show it to my associate at my local LV, but I purchased this pre-loved on eBay. It was pretty much a new bag, and I had it authenticated by 2 different sources. But I’m really not sure what to tell my associate should I bring it in.
I am just no too bothered with this fading, and pretty sure at the boutique they will say it's normal wear and tear. Maybe i will try, i don't know. Still, this is a bit upsetting (especially comparing to older pieces).

Hello, dear LVoers.

Here's what i noticed:
1OzoL-lgZ4c.jpg

OZuCO__KQVo.jpg

B22QfZldD44.jpg

EMAGlm7VRd8.jpg

Hi How's your pallas clutch peeling? Didi it get worse or still the same? I bought the same bag 1week ago in Cerise color, i open it today and i am so shock to see some peeling around the corner of the bag already. I heard that this bag is hard to find nowadays and im afraid i cant get the same bag if they are willing to exchange it. And im on Holiday so after a month ill be out of the country. I love the bag and i feel like i can get over the peeling but i am worried if it will get worse as time goes by.