Dream closets......minimalist to maximalist

Before you go clearing out half the colors in your wardrobe :biggrin: , most of the pics in this thread described as minimalist are in clothing boutiques, not really in homes. I could see doing a small rack as a "valet" for upcoming outfits but I don't think anyone is really using those images as their closet. Some of the bloggers have display racks for their latest pieces but for more long term storage, I don't think a 3ft rack is really a closet. Boutiques that merchandise with just 1 of everything out generally have vast stock rooms to keep the size ranges in.
Your point of view is definitely valid. When I’m not on tpf, and I want to read online, I cruise minimalist blogs. There seems to be a lot of minimalists with “capsule wardrobes” of about 33 pieces. It’s called Project 333. I find it interesting but, in reality, I have no expectation of accomplishing it....or anything close. I think it appeals to a specific segment of the population, but I still find it intriguing....like an adventure of some sort. As a matter of fact, I already failed today, as I bought both another dress and a tunic. :facepalm: I love how you've used your converted attic space. :tup: And if I had room for a rack to hold selected pieces for a short time, I’d try that.

Before you go clearing out half the colors in your wardrobe :biggrin: , most of the pics in this thread described as minimalist are in clothing boutiques, not really in homes. I could see doing a small rack as a "valet" for upcoming outfits but I don't think anyone is really using those images as their closet. Some of the bloggers have display racks for their latest pieces but for more long term storage, I don't think a 3ft rack is really a closet. Boutiques that merchandise with just 1 of everything out generally have vast stock rooms to keep the size ranges in.

My master suite is in a converted attic with dormers. Our closets are strictly for hanging garments and workout clothes. They are odd spaces so we did Elfa from Container Store as the cabinet units would eat up too much space. We did built in cabinets for my bags, accessories and as "dressers" for each of us. I had shared these photos on another wardrobe thread. The doors are lacquer white with simple finger pulls. The finish is done like auto body paint, very crisp and durable. Trendy in Italian kitchen cabinets these days. We used our cabinet guy who did our kitchen and bath vanities as well. We've been renovating our 1920s house for 5 years and it's nice to see this room finally finished.

View attachment 3975051
View attachment 3975054
View attachment 3975053
View attachment 3975052
totally true about many of these being shop displays!

however, I see you store your kellys flat. Is that better? I just wonder because i store mine standing up, in fact I made a point of taking them out of boxes to store upright. Now that I see yours though, I wonder if I did the right thing...

totally true about many of these being shop displays!

however, I see you store your kellys flat. Is that better? I just wonder because i store mine standing up, in fact I made a point of taking them out of boxes to store upright. Now that I see yours though, I wonder if I did the right thing...

I don’t know if there’s right or wrong, I did it this way for space. I would have to remove a shelf to stand them up but I could get 4 or 5 across. I like to lay down my Togo 35 because it slouches if upright for a long time. Same for my swift B30 so for now I went with this plan. I think we all have to experiment with what works for our spaces. I am so happy to have them out of boxes, I’m rotating a lot more because I can see what I have.

I don’t know if there’s right or wrong, I did it this way for space. I would have to remove a shelf to stand them up but I could get 4 or 5 across. I like to lay down my Togo 35 because it slouches if upright for a long time. Same for my swift B30 so for now I went with this plan. I think we all have to experiment with what works for our spaces. I am so happy to have them out of boxes, I’m rotating a lot more because I can see what I have.
Well, in the box they are packaged flat just like you have them, and Hermes people are generally very particular about how to keep them. Abusing an Hermes bag s like a capital offence.:biggrin:

Reactions: MSO13
Has anyone here experimented by arranging your clothing solely by color? Right now I have things grouped by category (tunics, dresses, etc). Wondering if arranging only by color would work....or be confusing.....

I have done that and I am really liking it. Mind you, I think this works with a small wardrobe but would get more confusing than helpful with a lot of stuff. I have gone through a period of purging my wardrobe and I am now finally close to where I want to be. I have got rid of lots of things, try to be more mindful in my spending, and have on display only the stuff I am using and wearing.

The way I have it organized is: I have a double body rack with tops (including: blazers, shirts, t-shirts) lined up by color: black --> blue --> pink --> white. In another rack I have dresses and light coats. All the hangers are white as is the wardrobe, and there is plenty of space between hangers, nothing is stuffed. It makes me happy to get dressed it the morning and see it all looking nice and clean and visually pleasing. Makes choosing what to wear much easier, but also encourages me to plan better for the seasons.

I have done that and I am really liking it. Mind you, I think this works with a small wardrobe but would get more confusing than helpful with a lot of stuff. I have gone through a period of purging my wardrobe and I am now finally close to where I want to be. I have got rid of lots of things, try to be more mindful in my spending, and have on display only the stuff I am using and wearing.

The way I have it organized is: I have a double body rack with tops (including: blazers, shirts, t-shirts) lined up by color: black --> blue --> pink --> white. In another rack I have dresses and light coats. All the hangers are white as is the wardrobe, and there is plenty of space between hangers, nothing is stuffed. It makes me happy to get dressed it the morning and see it all looking nice and clean and visually pleasing. Makes choosing what to wear much easier, but also encourages me to plan better for the seasons.

It sounds lovely!

Wondering how I can accomplish a capsule wardrobe in weather so hot that there are days where I might need to change 2-3 times.....
View attachment 3970853

View attachment 3970854

View attachment 3970855

I was looking at clothing racks at John Lewis^ and saw this one you've posted from Ikea it's an eighth of the price! It's good to see how many clothes it can store. The ones with wheels are less aesthetically pleasing but more affordable and easy to move. I change this space a lot.

Some people have commented that the majority of rails here are from stores that's true but how many clothes in their closet does one really wear? For me I haven't looked in my closet for at least 6 months so I'm going to donate whatever clothes are there and hope that using a rail and seeing the clothes will prompt me to wear other clothes. I don't have a lot of space (or bags!) but will lose some width to the rail for the cause

I was looking at clothing racks at John Lewis^ and saw this one you've posted from Ikea it's an eighth of the price! It's good to see how many clothes it can store. The ones with wheels are less aesthetically pleasing but more affordable and easy to move. I change this space a lot.

Some people have commented that the majority of rails here are from stores that's true but how many clothes in their closet does one really wear? For me I haven't looked in my closet for at least 6 months so I'm going to donate whatever clothes are there and hope that using a rail and seeing the clothes will prompt me to wear other clothes. I don't have a lot of space (or bags!) but will lose some width to the rail for the cause

Please post photos of the end result! I am eager to see what you do with this!

Reactions: prepster
Every closet in my house would fit into this one closet....with room to spare!
FA3D3A23-0D54-4958-8CEF-4488CA691573.jpeg

The photo below is basically what my closet looked like before California Closets worked their magic for me. I sometimes wish I had drawers installed also, but there really wasn’t room for both drawers and shelves. I’m currently getting ready to let go of more clothing......
734CF221-CCB1-4265-B8FF-78BFC26A22DE.jpeg

The Pottery Barn shelving/hanging rod arrived - just the box is gigantic, way bigger than I'd visualized, and I don't have the patience to put this thing together. I decided to schedule a return and invest that money into proper in-closet shelving instead.

Reactions: diane278