Need help for my first bag -Evelyne -Color

Nivahra

O.G.
Aug 6, 2012
Dear TPF-Friends,

I'm in love with the Hermès Evelyne, this should be my first Hermès bag and the last for a long time because of other priorities next year. I love this bag for the lightweight and for it's practicality.
I own a few (11-12) LV bags and a Chanel WOC. Now I want to add the Evie and we're in a store a few weeks ago. That day I bought this bag from LV because of a store credit:
IMG_1513034362.671698.jpg

This is the Babylone Chain BB in Noir. After my purchase we went to Hermès and I saw the black Evie in PM. This would be one of my first choices because it's so carefree in black and easy to combine with nearly everything in clothes. But the day I had bought the Babylone and thought: No-you can't do 2 black bags in nearly the same size and function" and let her there. I took a look at all the different colors they showed me and decided to go on the wishlist for a graphite one. Graphite looks really nice, I don't own a grey bag and it would also be carefree. I'm afraid of color transfer because it's a bag which will rub against the body every time, so I want a dark color.

The SA told me, that Graphite is not very often in the store and it could be possible that I have to wait a long time (don't know how long that will mean).

After that I stalked the website and had second thoughts: black-graphite-black-graphite. Last week the black one was in the online store and I pulled the trigger:
IMG_1513034736.196019.jpgIMG_1513034749.363824.jpg

Now I'm in trouble and ask what you would do:

Should I keep the black one because it's so carefree for such an expensive bag and looks great and I don't know when or if a Graphite one will ever be available for me-although I have the black Babylone

or

should I send it back and wait for a Graphite one because I don't own a grey bag and have the Babylone in black and the Graphite looks more soft than black although it could be possible that I can never get my hands on this bag?

Or

Should I keep the black, stay on the hunt for the Graphite one and decide what I like more, when I get the call and can see it IRL (maybe keep both then?!)?

I don't have a relationship to an SA and it was hard to come on the Wishlist (they were kind of rude to me), so I don't know if they would really call me when Grahite arrives and I don't know, if the Onlineshop will get one in.

Sorry for the long story! Every thought is appreciate!!
Thank you all very much [emoji5]

I have been actively trying to diversify away from black bags although I do love them. It's fun to have other options to go with outfits and it's fun pushing for more creative options and colors...as a recovering black bag addict...go for the graphite!!! The graphite would likely be a great contrast to the blacks and dark blues in the above outfits for example.

As someone who wears a lot of black, I have loved having my bags stand out a bit more from my outfits.

Reactions: Nivahra
I have been actively trying to diversify away from black bags although I do love them. It's fun to have other options to go with outfits and it's fun pushing for more creative options and colors...as a recovering black bag addict...go for the graphite!!! The graphite would likely be a great contrast to the blacks and dark blues in the above outfits for example.

As someone who wears a lot of black, I have loved having my bags stand out a bit more from my outfits.

Thank you for your opinion [emoji2]
What colors do you have, how did you diversify your collection?

I own different colors: Fuchsia (Alma BB), Indigo (Alma BB), Magnolia (Also: Alma BB, Babylone Chain BB), a watercolor Speedy, a Tahitienne Neverfull, Damier Ebene bags (3 of them)... in Black I own the WOC, an Alma PM (classic forever) and the Babylone Chain BB. And I wear a lot of blue, grey, soft pink, less brown and the last weeks more black.

Do you think I have to wait more than a half year for Graphite? Does it make sense ask 2 Shops for putting me on the Wishlist? I'm not very patient when I fell in love with a bag [emoji15]

I would take it back and wait for the graphite! Finding the color of your dreams is worth the wait, and it's not like you have a functional gap in your bag wardrobe in the mean time.

Thank you very much!! I think you're right, there is no hole in my collection. That's a good point!!!

But I'm still not sure if Graphite is my dreamcolor, because I never saw an Evie in this color IRL. It's kind of ...rationally to say: You have a black one-get the grey! But it's kind of the same with black: it is carefree and the bag will look like new for a long time. Both colors are beautiful, I love both. First world problems, I know [emoji17]

Nivahra, the black Evie looks great on you! I think you should keep it, and if you find that you are really loving the style, maybe go for another color in the future. Believe it or not, black is not a color that's always available in the Evie. In my local store, they rarely get black in, and when they do, it sells out immediately.

Nivahra, the black Evie looks great on you! I think you should keep it, and if you find that you are really loving the style, maybe go for another color in the future. Believe it or not, black is not a color that's always available in the Evie. In my local store, they rarely get black in, and when they do, it sells out immediately.

Thank you for answering to my post and your lovely words!! [emoji5] oh, that is interesting, I thought black would be one of the colors which comes the most into the stores! I didn't know this it is hard to get....hm...maybe I should really keep the black one and when the grey one comes in I can decide if I want to have this one, too [emoji848] [emoji2]

Reactions: smallfry
Thank you very much!! I think you're right, there is no hole in my collection. That's a good point!!!

But I'm still not sure if Graphite is my dreamcolor, because I never saw an Evie in this color IRL. It's kind of ...rationally to say: You have a black one-get the grey! But it's kind of the same with black: it is carefree and the bag will look like new for a long time. Both colors are beautiful, I love both. First world problems, I know [emoji17]

This is something you should be thinking carefully about! It’s a lot of money to spend. H makes so many colors that could pass as neutral. Wonderful blues, dark reds, many shades of gray and beige. I recommend doing your research on here and on H.com to get a better idea of the colors offered. It is by no means a binary choice between black and graphite. I also wouldn’t make a decision based on how difficult a color is to find or how rare it is. I would base it on what color speaks to you and works best with your wardrobe and existing collection.

I would keep the black and then check out the graphite when it comes in and make a decision about it then. Thoughts:
1. I agree with @smallfry - black Evies are not that common, and the leather of the Evie I think offers a nice contrast to the babylone.
2. One thing that is unique about Evies- the color of the fabric strap can make a big difference in how the bag looks when on the body. In many instances the color winds up looking lighter or brighter than the bag color, because the fabric reflects light differently than the leather of the bag. Also: as you know, the Evie strap is thick- much thicker than the Kelly strap, for instance. The color of the strap then becomes a rather dominant aspect re: how it looks on you. I was convinced I wanted a blue hydra Evie until I saw how the strap looked on me and then I had to pass. I'm not sure what the graphite strap looks like, but it is definitely something worth considering.
3. The Evie is one of H's most casual bags, but in black it takes on a more elegant, dressy persona. I feel that a black Evie has some stylistic versatility that is unique, compared to other colors, even other dark colors. I personally think your black Evie is gorgeous, and, while it is easy to have lots of black bags (I love black bags), this is a must-keep.

What about a neutral blue? You stated you where a lot of blue so I'm sure it would look great in your closet. My Bleu Thalassa Epsom Evelyne is one of my most favorite bags and looks great with everything in my wardrobe.

I feel like, at least for me, one black bag is enough (my black lambskin Boy). I have owned 8 different Evelyne's over the course of building my handbag collection and none of them were black. I sold 6 of them but kept my Bleu Thalassa and Rose Tyrian because I love them so much. They are dark enough that there is no color transfer, and I wear black pants a lot.

If you like blue, have a look at some darker blue Evelyne's. Hermes has so many wonderful blues that you couldn't go wrong choosing one of them.

Good luck.

What about a neutral blue? You stated you where a lot of blue so I'm sure it would look great in your closet. My Bleu Thalassa Epsom Evelyne is one of my most favorite bags and looks great with everything in my wardrobe.

I feel like, at least for me, one black bag is enough (my black lambskin Boy). I have owned 8 different Evelyne's over the course of building my handbag collection and none of them were black. I sold 6 of them but kept my Bleu Thalassa and Rose Tyrian because I love them so much. They are dark enough that there is no color transfer, and I wear black pants a lot.

If you like blue, have a look at some darker blue Evelyne's. Hermes has so many wonderful blues that you couldn't go wrong choosing one of them.

Good luck.
This is a great suggestion. I have a bleu agate Evie and it is the perfect neutral, but can also serve as a pop of color. I get a ton of compliments on it. Bleu sapphire would also be a great option.

Dear TPF-Friends,

I'm in love with the Hermès Evelyne, this should be my first Hermès bag and the last for a long time because of other priorities next year. I love this bag for the lightweight and for it's practicality.
I own a few (11-12) LV bags and a Chanel WOC. Now I want to add the Evie and we're in a store a few weeks ago. That day I bought this bag from LV because of a store credit:
View attachment 3905299

This is the Babylone Chain BB in Noir. After my purchase we went to Hermès and I saw the black Evie in PM. This would be one of my first choices because it's so carefree in black and easy to combine with nearly everything in clothes. But the day I had bought the Babylone and thought: No-you can't do 2 black bags in nearly the same size and function" and let her there. I took a look at all the different colors they showed me and decided to go on the wishlist for a graphite one. Graphite looks really nice, I don't own a grey bag and it would also be carefree. I'm afraid of color transfer because it's a bag which will rub against the body every time, so I want a dark color.

The SA told me, that Graphite is not very often in the store and it could be possible that I have to wait a long time (don't know how long that will mean).

After that I stalked the website and had second thoughts: black-graphite-black-graphite. Last week the black one was in the online store and I pulled the trigger:
View attachment 3905305View attachment 3905306

Now I'm in trouble and ask what you would do:

Should I keep the black one because it's so carefree for such an expensive bag and looks great and I don't know when or if a Graphite one will ever be available for me-although I have the black Babylone

or

should I send it back and wait for a Graphite one because I don't own a grey bag and have the Babylone in black and the Graphite looks more soft than black although it could be possible that I can never get my hands on this bag?

Or

Should I keep the black, stay on the hunt for the Graphite one and decide what I like more, when I get the call and can see it IRL (maybe keep both then?!)?

I don't have a relationship to an SA and it was hard to come on the Wishlist (they were kind of rude to me), so I don't know if they would really call me when Grahite arrives and I don't know, if the Onlineshop will get one in.

Sorry for the long story! Every thought is appreciate!!
Thank you all very much [emoji5]
Congrats ! Your bag is perfect and suits you very well.
I wouldn't exchange it for another color.
If you want some pop of color, buy a Calvi or a Bastia.