Saint Laurent Sac De Jour Souple

In love with the new SDJ souple. Decided on the medium in black. The leather feels and smells beautiful, the suede lining is gorgeous and the bag has a beautiful balanced shape. It is semi-structured, the grained leather is soft but not too slouchy. I wouldn't say it's as light as some of the latest unlined small SDJ but it's not too heavy.

For those who haven't noticed, the souple has no feet, it's got matching reinforcement leather strips instead.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
In love with the new SDJ souple. Decided on the medium in black. The leather feels and smells beautiful, the suede lining is gorgeous and the bag has a beautiful balanced shape. It is semi-structured, the grained leather is soft but not too slouchy. I wouldn't say it's as light as some of the latest unlined small SDJ but it's not too heavy.

For those who haven't noticed, the souple has no feet, it's got matching reinforcement leather strips instead.

And I just fell in love with the more structured one. Are there advantages to getting the new souple one? Some of my concerns:
No feet on bottom of bag for it I have to place on floor of restaurants. (Don't like to anyway)
Softer leather that may not hold up over time and I do like the structure of the bag. I'm interested in baby size.
Do strap rings show when bag is used over shoulder or crossbody?

Haven't seen it yet, so I'll have to try and see one. THX

And I just fell in love with the more structured one. Are there advantages to getting the new souple one? Some of my concerns:
No feet on bottom of bag for it I have to place on floor of restaurants. (Don't like to anyway)
Softer leather that may not hold up over time and I do like the structure of the bag. I'm interested in baby size.
Do strap rings show when bag is used over shoulder or crossbody?

Haven't seen it yet, so I'll have to try and see one. THX

I went for the souple in the end because I originally wanted the grained leather version with suede lining and preferably the D rings on the sides of the bag. I believe this was the original version. Later version of the classic have fabric lining or no lining and didn't feel quite as luxe to me. It was also quite heavy. I could never find the old version new and wasn't sure about pre-loved.

When the updated design came out I was so set on the old one that I didn't take to it. Then I saw the souple range in the flesh and the leather was just so beautiful and finally the suede lining was back. Since my other dilemma had always been the size (small a bit too small and large a bit too big and no strap), the availability of a medium size with a strap and suede lining in the souple tipped the balance.

If you're after the baby, the smaller size definitely gives it more structure, but it's not as sturdy as the classic. If you haven't got a structured sturdy bag in your collection, you should probably stick to the classic. Since I already own the LV City Steamer which is very structured and sturdy, I was easily swayed!

Reactions: Luvnlife
Thanks so much for you thorough opinion. I really appreciate it. I'm new to these bags. I usually go for LV but have not found one I really like in leather. I did love the city steamer, but it's just too big for me. I'm 5'3" and about 112 pounds. I'm also on the older side and think a large bag looks like it wears me! I do not have a structured bag, as most of mine are slouchy and I love using the speedy 25 in the coated vinyl LV, but don't like the LV Speedy in leather. I'm going to stick with looking at the SDJ baby in the older grained leather style. Thank you so much for you opinion. Greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for you thorough opinion. I really appreciate it. I'm new to these bags. I usually go for LV but have not found one I really like in leather. I did love the city steamer, but it's just too big for me. I'm 5'3" and about 112 pounds. I'm also on the older side and think a large bag looks like it wears me! I do not have a structured bag, as most of mine are slouchy and I love using the speedy 25 in the coated vinyl LV, but don't like the LV Speedy in leather. I'm going to stick with looking at the SDJ baby in the older grained leather style. Thank you so much for you opinion. Greatly appreciated.

Did you know the city steamer comes in a mini and EW version? The EW is shorter so doesn't look quite as big. I love the mini, there are lots of beautiful color combinations. I went for the EW.

It's hard making a decision when you can't compare the bags directly. Do let us know what you decide!

I must say, I like the baby classic SDJ, I must try it on when I get the opportunity.

I had not seen the smaller versions of the city steamer, but when looking online, the prices are more than I'm looking to spend. I'm really loving the look of the saint laurent baby. I'm going to Paris and Florence next month and if for some reason don't see it there, then I will purchase here. I've already fallen in love with it and would like something other than an LV. Have a few of those (not in leather) and like them but want a change. THX so much! Enjoy your city steamer. It's beautiful.

Reactions: tjyost70
I had not seen the smaller versions of the city steamer, but when looking online, the prices are more than I'm looking to spend. I'm really loving the look of the saint laurent baby. I'm going to Paris and Florence next month and if for some reason don't see it there, then I will purchase here. I've already fallen in love with it and would like something other than an LV. Have a few of those (not in leather) and like them but want a change. THX so much! Enjoy your city steamer. It's beautiful.

Have a lovely holiday and I can't wait to see what you settle on!!!

Thanks! I'll be sure to let you know!
I just had the opportunity it's to see the new souple version in baby size black grained leather and loved it. I actually like that the feet were not visible on the bottom, but covered with black leather. Now I'm totally confused on if I should get the bag in the souple or just regular version. How does the shoulder strap placement effect wearing the bag. On the souple, it's on the sides and the regular version it's close to the handles. I'm going to use it handheld or crossbody. Anyone know which bag is lighter in weight? So confused now. Planning on getting it in Paris in July and hopefully I'll find it there. Just not sure which to get and don't want to make a mistake. Any suggestions/opinions appreciated

Thanks so much!

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
I just had the opportunity it's to see the new souple version in baby size black grained leather and loved it. I actually like that the feet were not visible on the bottom, but covered with black leather. Now I'm totally confused on if I should get the bag in the souple or just regular version. How does the shoulder strap placement effect wearing the bag. On the souple, it's on the sides and the regular version it's close to the handles. I'm going to use it handheld or crossbody. Anyone know which bag is lighter in weight? So confused now. Planning on getting it in Paris in July and hopefully I'll find it there. Just not sure which to get and don't want to make a mistake. Any suggestions/opinions appreciated

Thanks so much!

If you're able to try both at the same time, then that would be ideal.

I think the souple may be heavier but I never tried both at the same time so can't be sure. Again, the baby is smaller so the difference might not matter much.

Finally I should add that in the end, I also ordered the classic (in a different finish). I was still torn after I got the souple... #addictedtobags