Old bag new strap (Somerset shoulder bag)

MissDee

O.G.
Aug 8, 2006
Hi all,

Way before the Somerset satchel Mulberry did the Somerset shoulder bag, which I bought a Bicester about 8 years ago.

The bag only had a "shoulder strap" in a cotton like canvas.

Because the strap was so short the bag started to get more and more overlooked.

I recently bought an adjustable strap from eBay for about £6 and I'm really pleased with the quality (for the price) and the colour. As the bag never had a leather strap I feel it looks nice.

MissDee x

Attachments

• IMG_3299.JPG
    IMG_3299.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 335
Hi all,

Way before the Somerset satchel Mulberry did the Somerset shoulder bag, which I bought a Bicester about 8 years ago.

I recently bought an adjustable strap from eBay for about £6 and I'm really pleased with the quality (for the price) and the colour. As the bag never had a leather strap I feel it looks nice.

MissDee x
new strap looks GREAT! Love the color of your bag...hope you enjoy using her lots now!:flowers:

Reactions: MissDee
Hi all,

MissDee x

What a fantastic idea and great looking replacement strap, dear Miss Dee! (much nicer than the one I got for my Seth which was about the same price and looks totally naff in comparison with yours. Must look yours up.) Well done, you! I love your enduring love for this gorgeous little Somerset bag in a perfect rich chocolatey shade. Looks the ideal size for purse/wallet and essentials. Just what one wants when heading out the door. Hope you are enjoying her more now, as Kendie says.
( I must confess to a sin here. Carried one of my beloved Roxys today and got somewhat cross with her total inability to do anything but sit regally perched in the crook of my arm. Could not sling her over the shoulder as I'd my winter jacket on, so forget that, and had hands somewhat full with items, agenda, phone, etc., as the son and I dashed through appointments whilst he is home from university on winter break. Shiny and sassy Ms. Roxy could not have been more faffy with her straps here, there and &*$@%$:P everywhere! Not a good look when trying to unload a shopping trolley in a busy checkout. I felt a bit annoyed with her, if I'm honest. She may get bagged for the rest of his break as Seth takes over. If I had a small Antony, he'd be subbing for the next while--sorry, Seth :giggle: )

Reactions: MissDee
:flowers:
Hi all,

MissDee x
Hi Miss Deee

Was this strap from a business seller please ? If so , could you please share the link ? Thank you

What a fantastic idea and great looking replacement strap, dear Miss Dee! (much nicer than the one I got for my Seth which was about the same price and looks totally naff in comparison with yours. Must look yours up.) Well done, you! I love your enduring love for this gorgeous little Somerset bag in a perfect rich chocolatey shade. Looks the ideal size for purse/wallet and essentials. Just what one wants when heading out the door. Hope you are enjoying her more now, as Kendie says.
( I must confess to a sin here. Carried one of my beloved Roxys today and got somewhat cross with her total inability to do anything but sit regally perched in the crook of my arm. Could not sling her over the shoulder as I'd my winter jacket on, so forget that, and had hands somewhat full with items, agenda, phone, etc., as the son and I dashed through appointments whilst he is home from university on winter break. Shiny and sassy Ms. Roxy could not have been more faffy with her straps here, there and &*$@%$:P everywhere! Not a good look when trying to unload a shopping trolley in a busy checkout. I felt a bit annoyed with her, if I'm honest. She may get bagged for the rest of his break as Seth takes over. If I had a small Antony, he'd be subbing for the next while--sorry, Seth :giggle: )

Awww thank you for such a sweet reply, I've been fortunate to have some lovely older bags and despite my craving for newness I need to be sensible (ok I've just bought a regular lily) the Somerset is such a darling little work horse. I've got my old Ledbury out (in my avatar) it has no side straps like some models and so is pretty plain but she is a cute little bag who deserves to go out even if it's only to work!

Poor you and darling Roxy! she sounds like she is made to be beautiful not actually do some "work" I did have a little chuckle!

I have put the link for my strap in my reply to slowhand in case you wanted to see it (I am not linked to or affiliated with the seller at all)

MissDee

Reactions: MulberryMermaid
Awww thank you for such a sweet reply, I've been fortunate to have some lovely older bags and despite my craving for newness I need to be sensible (ok I've just bought a regular lily) the Somerset is such a darling little work horse. I've got my old Ledbury out (in my avatar) it has no side straps like some models and so is pretty plain but she is a cute little bag who deserves to go out even if it's only to work!

Poor you and darling Roxy! she sounds like she is made to be beautiful not actually do some "work" I did have a little chuckle!

I have put the link for my strap in my reply to slowhand in case you wanted to see it (I am not linked to or affiliated with the seller at all)

MissDee

You sound very like me on the nice older bags vs. craving for newness (and I'm working even as we speak on a nice pre-owned Lily, fingers crossed--they are going for buckets of cash here at the moment, everyone seems Lily Mad.) Your Ledbury is absolutely lovely --is she Oak or Conker or Oxblood? sorry as I'm squinting and cannot make out the color--my avatar looks quite dark too, come to think of it--well, it's a big snowstorm here and dusk to boot, so that doesn't help. Put on some lights, Mrs!:facepalm: That's better.
Thanks for the link--just checked and they do not seem to post to the Colonies, so onward with my search. I bought mine from Amazon and it looked to be a reputable co and pics looked good, but it wasn't nice at all when it arrived. I need a black strap like your Somerset one, to go with my Seth. Will keep looking as he's not best pleased with the one I got him:annoyed:

Had the same problem with Ms Metallic Roxy today again, as was too rushed this morning to switch bags, in spite of my kvetch yesterday. I did have to leave her in the car at one point covered up which I never do, just because I couldn't cope with her and my arms full--grabbed my wallet out of her and abandoned her for a bit--I did hear a bit of grumbling and grousing from her in the back, sprinkled with a few v. unladylike expletives :giggle:
I'm feeling her back in the Pursery this evening.;)

I still have a soft spot for the old Somerset Shoulder and wore my oak one with my Martha's strap at New Year. I had bought a tan leather messenger strap some years ago, but it changed colour! Lovely bag - prefer the Choc colour of the lot :smile: