How to undo bad pet behavior?

I've come to a bit of an impass with my cat :Push: She's got a few bad habits that are driving me crazy, but I know ultimately that I'm the reason that she has them!! Her worst habit is running out the door every time it opens (worst because it's the most dangerous habit). I come home after work or after an evening out and as soon as I open the door she runs out as fast as she can go (she's waiting by the door), usually trips me, and just takes off. I have to chase her down every time. I do let her go outside on the porch (I'm in a 2nd story apartment) whenever she likes, so I think that she just assumes that going out any door is ok now. How do I teach her that the porch is ok but the apartment door is never ok? Do I have to just keep her in all the time?

Oh, that must be frightening for you. I don't have an anwswer, but I hope someone else does. Of course you must be so worried and concerned for your kitty.

I am sorry, how scary.

Maybe try these ideas?

Carry or keep a small spray bottle with water and start spritzing kitty when you enter the door. Kitty should hate it and perhaps learn he will get spritzed with water at the front door as opposed to te patio door.

Carry a small jar of coins and shake them as you start to open the door. Cats will not like that, could be a deterent away from front door...

Most embarrassing ideas are to make scary cat sounds/hiss, or bark like a dog, LOL!!!!

Best of luck!

(I am assuming kitty is spayed or neutered? If not, get it done right away!)

"Carry or keep a small spray bottle with water and start spritzing kitty when you enter the door. Kitty should hate it and perhaps learn he will get spritzed with water at the front door as opposed to te patio door."

I think this might work the best if your quick enough to squirt kitty before he gets out!! :biggrin:

The spray bottle is super effective! I used it to train a cat to quit climbing all over the window screens. I only had to spray the cat twice. It even worked to train my naughty doxie to stop barking when he's in the house.

I'll try the spray bottle idea, though I've heard you're not supposed to hit them in the face with it, just the back or spray it near them. Good suggestions, thanks so much!

I'll try the spray bottle idea, though I've heard you're not supposed to hit them in the face with it, just the back or spray it near them. Good suggestions, thanks so much!

When you say "hit", you are referring to "spray", correct? Just clarifying.

If it is a wide spritz-like spray, it doesn't matter where the water is sprayed, imho. I wouldn't rec'd a strong blaster spray bottle though! Good luck, keep us posted with your progress!

I got this from Animal Planet's website:

Try to get him away from the door by distracting him with a food treat followed by a play session. For some time he will probably keep trying to make a mad dash out the door whenever you open it to enter or leave. Be prepared by keeping treats by the door. If he's persistent, drop your keys when you are entering to make a noise. If he does get past you, never mind; keep trying. Never punish him when he comes back, though, as he will then have a bad association with returning home. Because he probably will occasionally defeat your best efforts and get out, make sure he is properly identified at all times.

My cat Willie used to try to escape. As soon as I came through the door I would jingle and then throw my keys inside the house. When he investigated the keys, I closed the door.