I purchased eBay item, sent without insurance, now it is missing, what do I do?

Absolutely, whether it's $40, or $400, injustice stinks. You've already put so much time into this case, don't give up now. Whether it's the seller, or a dishonest employee, you shouldn't give them the satisfaction of stealing your hard earned money like that.

Agree here.. It is the principle now.. A buyer bought an item in good faith, paid for it & now look at the problem at hand
Some of us are able to absorb the loss for others not so easy...
OP keep us updated & sorry that you have to go through all of this

I agree. I don't think it's not the post office. My belief is that it's the seller but not because the bracelet is fake. Call it intuition but the seller has given me a bad vibe from the beginning.

I don't find that tracking unusual at all. I live in the area and have seen similar tracking.

The seller might work in Boston and use a post office that insists that origins show the zip where mailed. (Apparently the post office in the "sending" zip gets some kind of credit for handling the package and in fact, I had an experience where a clerk in Nashua wouldn't take my package because the return address zip was in suburban Boston so she wouldn't get "credit.") As for passing through Nashua, most of my priority shipments go to Nashua even though I'm closer to Boston. I think I can count on one hand the number of times my items have gone through Shrewsbury.

I've never been able to figure out the rhyme or reason mail takes the route it takes but the tracking doesn't raise any red flags.

Thanks everyone, good to hear that you agree it's still worth fighting this. I am planning to go to the post office tomorrow and get what AmEx needs in writing, so wish me luck. I will update!
BB I did not know you live in the Boston area, thanks for the feedback about the postal locations there (it is a good thing I don't live nearby at this point!)

Reactions: BeenBurned
Thanks everyone, good to hear that you agree it's still worth fighting this. I am planning to go to the post office tomorrow and get what AmEx needs in writing, so wish me luck. I will update!
BB I did not know you live in the Boston area, thanks for the feedback about the postal locations there (it is a good thing I don't live nearby at this point!)

I might suggest speaking with a supervisor at Amex & explain further these circumstances as they might not be
seeing the total "picture here"...
. Amex may need to re-review their decision
Good luck

Last edited:
I might suggest speaking with a supervisor at Amex & explain further these circumstances as they might not be
seeing the total "picture here"...
. Amex may need to re-review their decision
Good luck

Thank you, I can do that, what would you tell the supervisor? I guess they just need proof that the item was actually never with me?

Thank you, I can do that, what would you tell the supervisor? I guess they just need proof that the item was actually never with me?

I'd re-review the information from the post office with Amex& reinforce postal negligence
as it does happen..
Did they not send a formal letter with the decision to you in the mail as well that you can respond to?

I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed by Amex. I had always heard they were the absolute best credit card for purchase protection and charge backs. I use Discover Card for everything online, and they have been wonderful with disputes, siding with me 100% of the time, even in ridiculous situations.

I have never had to file a dispute for any EBay transaction, but I have bought items from online stores where I have had issues. I had an online merchant send me the wrong item, that was significantly less valuable than the item I paid for. The merchant had a phone number that went to voicemail 100% of the time and they never returned my calls. I emailed them about returning the item and they kept promising a return label but they never came through. Finally I filed a charge back, thinking they would want their item back. I got my money back, and they never sent me a label or asked for the item. I still have it (it was a jewelry box, $200 range). That was years ago...

Hopefully they will reverse their decision with more documentation!

I'd re-review the information from the post office with Amex& reinforce postal negligence
as it does happen..
Did they not send a formal letter with the decision to you in the mail as well that you can respond to?

Yes, they initially send me a letter stating they would credit my account for the $435, but that they reserved the right to re-charge me for that amount if their investigation showed that I should owe it. Then they sent me this new letter yesterday.

The documentation they reference is the page that I posted last night on this thread, it basically shows the tracking information of where the box was over time and a note that the seller says that they got back an empty box.

This is the first page of the letter they sent yesterday.

IMG_1472251817.174957.jpg

I have not asked them, should I?
I was also advised by Amex that I can ask the post office for a record of the weight of the package when it was sent back by the post office to the seller.

Though if the seller printed a shipping label from home they could have put a different weight on the label to begin with, who knows!

I guess I am thinking what's the point of asking the seller for a photo because they could have removed the item themself and then taken a photo or video since they are obviously pretty committed to their current course.

I guess I am thinking what's the point of asking the seller for a photo because they could have removed the item themself and then taken a photo or video since they are obviously pretty committed to their current course.

It is proof one way or the other...& yes they could have done that
If you are dealing with a seller that is honest, why not send a picture of the box that was received empty?
Did the box appear to be tampered with? That seems to be a reasonable question
There should be nothing to hide...

It is proof one way or the other...& yes they could have done that
If you are dealing with a seller that is honest, why not send a picture of the box that was received empty?
Did the box appear to be tampered with? That seems to be a reasonable question
There should be nothing to hide...

True, I have nothing to lose I suppose!

I got it!!

1. Written documentation from USPS with GPS coordinates from showing that the item was scanned as delivered when not at my house.
2. ORIGIONAL weight of the item when the seller created the label is 0 pounds 3 ounces!