I purchased eBay item, sent without insurance, now it is missing, what do I do?

Thank you! The scammer is making me work for my money also with all of their new strategies, but it is about the principle now and I will do what it takes. Currently, AmEx has issued me a credit for the amount and sent me a letter saying that the seller did not respond to them when they reached out about the new documents I sent in showing the weight of the package when sent and the proof that the item was not delivered to my house in the first place. They said that the decision will not be final until early October, so once that date arrives, I will officially be able to cross this off the list of concerns in the back of my mind.

Would not think the seller would be cooperative with either you or Amex.
And agree here, it is about the principle. How the seller can claim they received an empty box with no backup
is clearly questionnable...

Would not think the seller would be cooperative with either you or Amex.
And agree here, it is about the principle. How the seller can claim they received an empty box with no backup
is clearly questionnable...

I was a bit worried they would come up with a new scheme though, because when Amex initially investigated and took back their money, the seller came back with the claim saying that they had been shipped back an empty box! Especially since I never heard about their claim until Amex sent me that letter saying that they were withdrawing the funds from my account again unless I wanted to reopen the dispute with more documentation. This person is wily, I will not be totally at ease until the time limit has passed for them.

Reactions: PikaboICU
You need to go back to the post office, get some kind of printout or documentation that the package was scanned prior to delivery, never delivered and RTS without your ever having seen it. Explain that it would follow that if the seller received back an empty box, that would have been how she'd sent it.

Reactions: PikaboICU
I was a bit worried they would come up with a new scheme though, because when Amex initially investigated and took back their money, the seller came back with the claim saying that they had been shipped back an empty box! Especially since I never heard about their claim until Amex sent me that letter saying that they were withdrawing the funds from my account again unless I wanted to reopen the dispute with more documentation. This person is wily, I will not be totally at ease until the time limit has passed for them.

This seller may get just get caught in their own tangled web... The shipping weight is going to be crucial here
& if USPS will offer up any documentation that will also help (previous post you may have indicated that)

You need to go back to the post office, get some kind of printout or documentation that the package was scanned prior to delivery, never delivered and RTS without your ever having seen it. Explain that it would follow that if the seller received back an empty box, that would have been how she'd sent it.

Yes, I did get that document from the post office. Amex required that to reopen my case and so far they are siding with me!

This is the post where you mention you "got it"...

Yes, I sent all of this to Amex, so luckily they are now siding with me. I just meant that I hope the seller does not think up some other angle to try next. Hopefully the truth always wins in the end, and even if they do think of something else to try to "win" the case, I will be able to show that they are lying once again.

Yes, I sent all of this to Amex, so luckily they are now siding with me. I just meant that I hope the seller does not think up some other angle to try next. Hopefully the truth always wins in the end, and even if they do think of something else to try to "win" the case, I will be able to show that they are lying once again.
Please keep us updated!

WOW!! This is by far one of the most interesting ebay stories I have ever read. Nicole, I am so sorry that this has happened to you!! I have faith that the truth will prevail in the end and all of your effort will be worth it. The seller may learn she can't scam after this failed attempt. She is definitely shady...the fake bracelet, the low shipping weight, the "follow up" message that failed to mention that she received it back and the lie to AMEX that the envelope arrived empty.

I do see some posters saying that the seller (while in this case definitely a scammer) should have purchased insurance. Insurance for the seller would not have worked in this case, unless it was a lenient insurance company. Insurance is to protect the seller, not the buyer. Once delivered, it is the buyer's responsibility and theft should be covered under their renter’s or homeowner’s policy.

I did have a buyer earlier this year claim a package was missing and it was marked as delivered. I told her I would try to file with my shipping insurance company and to my surprise, they allowed the claim and paid out. She was incredibly impatient and filed an ebay INR claim even though I explained very nicely that the only hope we had was her renter’s insurance or my shipping insurance, as they item was marked as delivered. When I won the ebay one, she filed one in paypal. I won that one and she filed a chargeback against me with her credit card. Technically I wasn’t responsible and I went above and beyond for her because I would want someone to do that for me, but she was very difficult to work with. It took a lot of effort on my part calling the post office, ebay, paypal, my insurance and my vendor for the item she ordered to try to get her another one. Ultimately I was upset with her because I really was trying to help from the very beginning and she just wouldn’t wait a few days to hear back from the insurance claim. I (professionally) let her know I was disappointed in how she handled her interaction with me and blocked her.

Reactions: JenW
WOW!! This is by far one of the most interesting ebay stories I have ever read. Nicole, I am so sorry that this has happened to you!! I have faith that the truth will prevail in the end and all of your effort will be worth it. The seller may learn she can't scam after this failed attempt. She is definitely shady...the fake bracelet, the low shipping weight, the "follow up" message that failed to mention that she received it back and the lie to AMEX that the envelope arrived empty.

I do see some posters saying that the seller (while in this case definitely a scammer) should have purchased insurance. Insurance for the seller would not have worked in this case, unless it was a lenient insurance company. Insurance is to protect the seller, not the buyer. Once delivered, it is the buyer's responsibility and theft should be covered under their renter’s or homeowner’s policy.

I did have a buyer earlier this year claim a package was missing and it was marked as delivered. I told her I would try to file with my shipping insurance company and to my surprise, they allowed the claim and paid out. She was incredibly impatient and filed an ebay INR claim even though I explained very nicely that the only hope we had was her renter’s insurance or my shipping insurance, as they item was marked as delivered. When I won the ebay one, she filed one in paypal. I won that one and she filed a chargeback against me with her credit card. Technically I wasn’t responsible and I went above and beyond for her because I would want someone to do that for me, but she was very difficult to work with. It took a lot of effort on my part calling the post office, ebay, paypal, my insurance and my vendor for the item she ordered to try to get her another one. Ultimately I was upset with her because I really was trying to help from the very beginning and she just wouldn’t wait a few days to hear back from the insurance claim. I (professionally) let her know I was disappointed in how she handled her interaction with me and blocked her.

Thank you so much, in about 2 weeks the case will be closed in my favor - fingers crossed. I am so sorry that you had to deal with a similar experience with a very difficult and impatient buyer. It's good that it was resolved in your favor in the end, but so frustrating when we spend so much time and stress about buying/selling issues when we have personally done nothing wrong. I guess that is the price of making a little money and/or trying to get a good deal.