Canadian buying from a US Consignment Website.

marciaxo

Jul 19, 2016
So I live in Canada and I was wondering if any of you have experience ordering a bag from a US consignment website. How crazy is the customs fee and is it even worth it?

Thanks!

I find it a hit and miss when buying stuff outside of Canada and the item is shipped via regular postal service. If the seller is shipping using one of the couriers (Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc) then the duty, taxes AND brokerage fees will be inevitable. Here's an online duty calculator for you to see if it is worth it for you.

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator
Make sure that the seller declare the correct amount. I found that sometimes sellers declared the MSRP instead of the price I paid.

Can confirm that if they're using a courier like DHL, Fedex, etc you WILL be hit with a hefty fee - usually around 20%. IMO it's not worth it. Try to look for Canadian consignment sites.

I find it a hit and miss when buying stuff outside of Canada and the item is shipped via regular postal service. If the seller is shipping using one of the couriers (Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc) then the duty, taxes AND brokerage fees will be inevitable. Here's an online duty calculator for you to see if it is worth it for you.

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/calculators/canadian-duty-calculator
Make sure that the seller declare the correct amount. I found that sometimes sellers declared the MSRP instead of the price I paid.
Can confirm that if they're using a courier like DHL, Fedex, etc you WILL be hit with a hefty fee - usually around 20%. IMO it's not worth it. Try to look for Canadian consignment sites.

Thanks for your comments. This is the bag that I was looking at. The site was asking for $2,595 USD. Would this be worth it considering this is a pretty good deal? OR should I just stick to buying a bag at a Chanel store/consignment stores in Canada
Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 4.48.36 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 4.48.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 4.48.36 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 184
It's a pretty bag. I can't say whether or not it's worth paying $2595 usd plus any possible duty and taxes. It really depends on the overall condition of the bag and how much you really want it.

If the total is 90% of the buying new from the boutique, then I would rather buy new. No chance of getting a fake and you can fully inspect the bag before paying.

Try to find one within Canada first before looking at buying one out of country. Remember that the Cdn dollar is quite weak right now compared to the USD.

It's a pretty bag. I can't say whether or not it's worth paying $2595 usd plus any possible duty and taxes. It really depends on the overall condition of the bag and how much you really want it. If the total is 90% of the buying new from the boutique, then I would rather buy new. No chance of getting a fake and you can fully inspect the bag before paying.
Try to find one within Canada first before looking at buying one out of country. Remember that the Cdn dollar is quite weak right now compared to the USD.

That is true! I do go to school in Calgary and tax is relatively cheap there so it may just be worth it for me to buy a new bag :hrmm: Thanks for all your help :biggrin:

It's a pretty bag. I can't say whether or not it's worth paying $2595 usd plus any possible duty and taxes. It really depends on the overall condition of the bag and how much you really want it.

If the total is 90% of the buying new from the boutique, then I would rather buy new. No chance of getting a fake and you can fully inspect the bag before paying.

Yes. But it doesnt matter with chanel prices. Still compared to US prices they are just the same. Im on a hunt for brand new right?

If you buy from a US consignment site.. if there's anything wrong with the product... it's a pain to ship it back for a refund. I'm speaking from personal experience - dealing with one of these situations right now...