And this is why I rarely sell on eBay... advice needed please!

So sorry for the back-to-back messages. I'm posting from my laptop now and when logged into eBay just now to copy the photo the buyer sent me, it was gone. Not sure if it was removed by eBay or the buyer. Good thing I snapped a screen shot on my phone! I will post it just a few moments. Some of the spines (not all of them) originally had some fraying and tearing, now most of them have been significantly torn. If you look at the photo in my listing, you'll see they were not like this at all. That kind of damaged would have been obvious from my photo. Should I tell the buyer that I suspect he/she intentionally did this to the books to help his return case?

I spoke to 3 different eBay reps today. The second one gave me some hope and said it was obvious that my description was accurate and encouraged me to offer a refund minus the shipping costs. Later, when I saw that the buyer had damaged my books, I called back and got a rep who was encouraging me to offer a partial refund and let them keep the books. I pointed out that the buyer had done this before with other sellers and he said he would have it looked in to. I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
In your original listing it looks like several of the books' spines are starting to peel back at the bottom. So it looks like your buyer peeled them a bit further. But if she gets to keep them I bet she just glues them back. Seriously, that's a lot of effort for $10.

In your original listing it looks like several of the books' spines are starting to peel back at the bottom. So it looks like your buyer peeled them a bit further. But if she gets to keep them I bet she just glues them back. Seriously, that's a lot of effort for $10.
I know, huh? Pathetic in the purest sense of the word. Rooting for you, OP. And I agree with Caannie, let her work for every cent of the $10!

Reactions: caannie

Yep, peeled them further and even torn off on a few of them. I noted there was spine damage in the listing so I don't know why they didn't ask for more photos. If I ever sell another book I will most definitely take photos of the spine. I find it very suspect that the photo they uploaded has disappeared...

Last edited:
One more thing... the buyer actually accused me of switching out the books before sending them. Huh?? :wtf:
Hahaha, it really takes one to know one (was that how the expression goes?), doesn't it? This seller thinks that everyone will go the same length as she does to scam others out of a miserable few bucks.

Last edited:
Yeah, like you have an extra dozen identical used books sitting around so you can pull a bait and switch for a hot $10 bill. Seriously, your buyer is delusional (or projecting!)

Thank you!!

Wow GirlieShoppe! I just stumbled upon this thread and just finished reading it, and looked at the photos of the books. It is abundantly CLEAR that the buyer damaged the spine of your books further to strengthen her position. It's unbelievable how low someone will go for $10. As everyone says, I would not give in easy here, and make them work hard for the money. Good luck!

You guys won't believe this... The buyer sent a photo of the spines of the books and it is evident that they ripped the area where there was damage in order to make them look worse! I will post the pic as soon as I can. Any advice on what to say at this point?

One more thing... the buyer actually accused me of switching out the books before sending them. Huh?? :wtf:

Yep, peeled them further and even torn off on a few of them. I noted there was spine damage in the listing so I don't know why they didn't ask for more photos. If I ever sell another book I will most definitely take photos of the spine. I find it very suspect that the photo they uploaded has disappeared...
Call ebay and have them look at the listing, point out that you specifically described spine damage, buyer is a reseller and further damaged the books and request that they close the case and remove the negative feedback. You can also tell them that she caused further damage to the books.

Give them the URL to the policy that tells that a seller can win a dispute when the buyer's complaint is for issues that are described in the listing.

Feedback reply: Books as described. Competing seller caused further damage in attempt to get further refund.

This is one of those cases where it's worth fighting for principle because even if you lose, it's $10 and the buyer-reseller's reputation will be damaged when she's outed as a high-feedback bully doing this to a small seller.