Ban Island Forever or How can I live without buying new Chanels in retirement??

Hi Chanbal, Not traveling is definitely a concern as I love to travel and know how much it costs to do it well! I guess we need to think about going in on one of these megamillion lotteries together so we can travel and buy all the Chanels we want!!

PrincessCypress - I think your banner says it all "enjoying what you have" that's the way to live and live in retirement. We all get caught up in the chase ( I know that I have, hehe!) for the latest Chanel and don't enjoy all the others that we "caught". I know that I have a few bags that I really lusted after but don't enjoy as much now that I have them!!

Passau, I must commend you and tell you how much I admire all your different roles from volunteering, mom, and also managing a career at the same time. Amazing!!! I wish you the best. [emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️

+ 1
I wish I had that much energy!

Hi Overboard, I hear that the Costco in NYC was selling Chanel when it first opened. I guess I should hang on to my Costco membership in retirement.....it might be a way to get a new Chanel!

They sell Chanel watches but have not seen or know anyone who has seen the handbags. I know they sell Prada at costco.com periodically but really doubt that they sell Chanel handbags

Retirement is scary, luvprada, especially for us A++ personalities! To go from doing it all to doing nothing is hard to imagine.
Retirement is very scary for people that have been always busy pursuing a career, but it will happen to all of us sooner or later. Big decision time!
I am trying to bring this thread back hoping that people would share their retirement experiences. Bringing Chanel bags or RTW to Costco, doesn't seem too exciting... Cheers!

UPDATE: 3 years to retirement AND BUYING ALL THE CHANELS prior to Retirement.....

The sad part is that I'm losing my vision so the FEEL of the Chanel bags is MORE important than ever to me....

Just got the CHAIN AROUND MAXI as I can feel the chains as I will not be able to see the colors of the other Jumbos, Maxis, Boys, etc.....
Lambskin is now more important as the details so I can tell them apart without sight.....

Retirement is full of changes that you dont' expect......

UPDATE:

Retirement is full of changes that you dont' expect......
And change is not always a good thing... ;)

It's great that you continue buying Chanel bags, I have stopped a little to assess the situation. What am I going to do with my Chanel bags and RTW when I will stop having meetings to attend? Is it better an early or late retirement? Should I join a club (or 2)? Too many questions...

It would be great if other members that already made the transition would kindly share their experiences.

Okay, I'm near retirement but I can't imagine retiring because I can't imagine not buying any Chanel bags.... I currently make a salary that allows me to purchase Chanel bags and other designer bags (Hermes/Dior) but if I retire, I will be living on fixed income= permanent Ban Island?? I must confess that I have never visited Ban Island so I'm totally without a reference to what life is like there. So I was wondering if any of you are facing/having nightmares about this very issue....

I have a considerable collection that I love but I doubt that I will be satisfied in retirement without buying any new Chanel bags.....I think about the Boy- something totally new from Chanel that I was able to acquire as I am still working and love it to death!

If any of you willing to share your post retirement Chanel strategies, I'm interested in learning how to permanently live on Ban Island and be happy in retirement....
I'm a little far from retirement and even though I'm saving for retirement, I dont think I will ever retire, because the idea of not buying Chanel and Louboutin is scary [emoji23]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PurseForum mobile app

agree w/many who said they will wear chanels in retirement. i am very far from retirement but hope that i'll always love plays, concerts, operas, shows, socializing, etc. and have many chances to wear my bags. i do plan to downsize my collection before retirement though, and i wholeheartedly agree that you never purchase chanels - or anything major - after your retire... it all needs to be done beforehand. which is why i love shopping so much now for them!

I plan to downsize (get rid of all RTW and bags that I don't use for centuries) and only keep and acquire pieces that I really like.:doh: I have been postponing a drastic closet cleaning for lack of time ... I will likely avoid being tempted by sales as I don't think I will need that many dresses or suits anymore... While I plan to use my Chanel bags and RTW during retirement, I may not have enough events to justify a big collection.

I wear my Chanels everywhere now while I'm still working and expect to wear them with more casual clothes in retirement. I can also be the most stylish woman in church on Sunday and do Chanel the max! I hope to be retired around some other TpFers who can appreciate my designer bags....lol

I never really planned on retiring as I think that interacting with others at work is stimulating and I love mental challenges that work presents, although I could do without the long commutes in the car, ugh! I enjoy having my own money to spend and the freedom it gives me to travel, shop, and live life to the fullest! I recognize that there will be a time that I'm not able to work ( The movie -"Still Alice" really an excellent example) but I want to continue as long as I can mentally and physically.
I apologize, your original quote did not come across.

I couldn't agree with you more. I do think interaction at work is stimulating and it keeps the mind fresh. There are so many benefits to both working and retiring. It sounds like your volunteer duties will keep you busy (so wonderful you contribute so much of your time) and possibly a paid second career with less hours doing something you love? Would it be possible to cut back your hours a tad instead of full retirement? My mom retired at 55, and I have to say that she lost her mental sharpmess. We've discussed, and I think if she could do it over again, she would've worked a tad longer. One can definitely find some wonderful resellers, that is a good idea as well. Ultimately, it sounds like you have a full, happy and healthy life. That's important!

Thanks for sharing about regrets over retiring at 55! I'm losing my vision and my husband of 24 years currently has Stage 4 cancer so we are back on the plan of retiring in 2-3 years so we can enjoy our time together without working full time!

I was considering staying longer....but life is SHORT! I will continue to volunteer as it is who I am and it allows me the flexibility to volunteer around my family....unlike work. It would have to be a super flexible part time job!

Reselling to get some new Chanels is definitely an option as I do not mind Pre-Loved Chanels!