Ban Island Forever or How can I live without buying new Chanels in retirement??

Thanks for sharing about regrets over retiring at 55! I'm losing my vision and my husband of 24 years currently has Stage 4 cancer so we are back on the plan of retiring in 2-3 years so we can enjoy our time together without working full time!

I was considering staying longer....but life is SHORT! I will continue to volunteer as it is who I am and it allows me the flexibility to volunteer around my family....unlike work. It would have to be a super flexible part time job!

Reselling to get some new Chanels is definitely an option as I do not mind Pre-Loved Chanels!

I'm sorry to hear about your vision and even more so about your husband. I will keep you both in my prayers. Life is too short and I would definitely be focusing my time on my family. You are making the right choice. My mom retired at 55, (not me) and she really fell behind in the times. I think she regrets it for that reason. I could tell you hilarious stories about her trying to text....STILL.

It's wonderful that you still find time to volunteer! Maybe a second career that allows you to make some spending money but on your terms is the answer. Maybe one of your volunteer activities can lead to another paying opportunity in the future. You never know what you may fall into so to speak.

Pre-loved is wonderful idea! You and your husband please take care! XO

Thank you for your prayers, Gblb! It has been a very trying time....life changed so much since I wrote this Thread....Who knew?

Enjoy every moment! I have a whole new appreciation for all my Chanels, Hermes, Diors and LV ......while I can see them and appreciate them!

Big hugs to you! You deserve them. You have such a positive and kind attitude. You'll always be able to enjoy your beautiful things. If even by touch. Try to capture the images in your brain so when you do touch your gorgeous bags you'll remember each detail fondly. I will keep prayers coming and hope you keep wearing your beautiful things just because. You're living life to the fullest and we could all learn to do that a little more. ❤️

Thanks for sharing about regrets over retiring at 55! I'm losing my vision and my husband of 24 years currently has Stage 4 cancer so we are back on the plan of retiring in 2-3 years so we can enjoy our time together without working full time!

I was considering staying longer....but life is SHORT! I will continue to volunteer as it is who I am and it allows me the flexibility to volunteer around my family....unlike work. It would have to be a super flexible part time job!

Reselling to get some new Chanels is definitely an option as I do not mind Pre-Loved Chanels!

What an example you are for many of us on here. I echo GBLB's thoughts and certainly hope you and your husband can enjoy some quality time together. As for Chanel bags and what to buy, perhaps you buy one or two that aren't so dressy and wear the heck out of them everywhere you go. The vintage items are a great choice too.

I retired several years ago. Age 49. My company had an incentive offer. The most important thing for me was to go on trips and see the world. I love bags but, really, it's much better to go someplace amazing like the Italian lakes or Barbados bringing along an old bag than to stay home with a new one!

Also, what was a great bag for work may not work for for your new livestyle. Your bag collection may have to be adjusted by selling off a corporate style or A4 tote for a lightweight crossbody, beach bag, or backpack. Picture yourself climbing around Roman ruins or hiking a trail after a car road trip. The elimination and procurement of bags is a gradual process that is more fun than just adding to the existing pile. So maybe sell a gst for a Deauville, etc. ?

The bags you hang onto in retirement can go along with you on adventures. Whether you are driving to a nearby park or flying to another country. It is all good.

Retirement is great, like life part 2.

A tip. Don't retire with any cc debt.

Sent from my SM-T810 using PurseForum mobile app

Reactions: Chanbal
I'm sorry to hear about your vision and even more so about your husband. I will keep you both in my prayers. Life is too short and I would definitely be focusing my time on my family. You are making the right choice. My mom retired at 55, (not me) and she really fell behind in the times. I think she regrets it for that reason. I could tell you hilarious stories about her trying to text....STILL.

It's wonderful that you still find time to volunteer! Maybe a second career that allows you to make some spending money but on your terms is the answer. Maybe one of your volunteer activities can lead to another paying opportunity in the future. You never know what you may fall into so to speak.

Pre-loved is wonderful idea! You and your husband please take care! XO

Thanks Gblb for sharing the information about your mom. My father retired very late in life from a career that he really enjoyed, so he never had the patience or interest to try or to get involved in new activities after stopping to work. While I also love what I do, I would like to learn new things while I still have interest on them (without the stress of a demanding career). It is a big dilemma!

I am very sorry Passau to hear about husband's illness, please keep a positive attitude and enjoy every single day. Life is short and this why we shouldn't perhaps become too attached to our careers. I wish you both a long and happy retirement.

I retired several years ago. Age 49. My company had an incentive offer. The most important thing for me was to go on trips and see the world. I love bags but, really, it's much better to go someplace amazing like the Italian lakes or Barbados bringing along an old bag than to stay home with a new one!

Also, what was a great bag for work may not work for for your new livestyle. Your bag collection may have to be adjusted by selling off a corporate style or A4 tote for a lightweight crossbody, beach bag, or backpack. Picture yourself climbing around Roman ruins or hiking a trail after a car road trip. The elimination and procurement of bags is a gradual process that is more fun than just adding to the existing pile. So maybe sell a gst for a Deauville, etc. ?

The bags you hang onto in retirement can go along with you on adventures. Whether you are driving to a nearby park or flying to another country. It is all good.

Retirement is great, like life part 2.

A tip. Don't retire with any cc debt.

Sent from my SM-T810 using PurseForum mobile app
Thanks BagLady14 for sharing your experience; it is great to hear that retirement is great. Was it a difficult transition for you? I agree with you, while I really like my Chanel items, traveling to beautiful places is a lot of fun. My work gave me (or still gives me) the opportunity to attend meeting/congresses in several parts of the world (one of its perks), but maybe it is time to start traveling just for fun (no work involved) with an older Chanel bag or sweater :lol:. Too many questions.

Thanks Gblb for sharing the information about your mom. My father retired very late in life from a career that he really enjoyed, so he never had the patience or interest to try or to get involved in new activities after stopping to work. While I also love what I do, I would like to learn new things while I still have interest on them (without the stress of a demanding career). It is a big dilemma!.

Hello Chanbal, Good for your dad! I do get your point about loving what you do and having other interests. I've read a lot lately about retirees or people wanting to make a career change are doing it later in life. I saw a national news profile that most universities have seen a surge in their continuing education programs or career changes amongst people who are further along in their careers. I wonder if taking a class that is of interest to you would give you some idea of something new without all the stress of a demanding career? I met a woman in trader joe's one day, she was 71 and had always wanted to go to law school. She missed the opportunity in her 20's or 30's so she went in her mid sixties. One ambitious woman! She had opened her own law practice and was thrilled to be doing her dream job at 71! She could not have been more thrilled, happy or positive. She was such a joy to talk to and proving " it is never too late to follow your dreams." Although, I'm not sure that's everyone's idea of a less stressful career, I found her choices and enthusiasm inspiring.

Reactions: gail13
Hello All,
I unexpectedly retired five years ago after having a 35 year career in education. I loved teaching but my father lost all his vision becoming completely blind. Having Parkinson's as well he became wheelchair bound and immobile. I am honored to be his full time care giver although it's a an isolating like at times. I still wanted to be a vital part of the community so I became involved in our local preservation organization and somehow ending up on their board of directors. I have many responsibilities to this group but it brings a level of satisfaction. But now I just want to be free of responsibilities and concentrate on providing the highest quality of life for Dad while he is with us.
The year before I retired I bought many Chanel bags. Now I occasionally by a slg or something small. When you are no longer in the work force your perspective changes, your life style changes and what you need to have a happy life changes. I use my Chanel bags all the time but no longer feel the need to add to collection. In fact I'm selling off the ones I no longer use on a regular basis. Only keep the ones I really love and use.
When you retire your perspective on needs changes. Hopefully you slow down enough to appreciate how much you already have in your life and keep growing as person through travel, charity work, of even pursing a new profession. Hope this makes sense and helps others. Thanks for letting me share. LOL.

I took early retirement 6 months ago (I highly recommend it). I have found that my attitude toward buying bags, clothes and shoes has changed. Even after donating a lot of stuff, I still have so much. Every time I see something I like, I think that I don't need it, or I already have something very similar. I never thought I'd lost the desire for new bags etc., in fact I have. Maybe I am just lazy, but I have to push myself to wear shoes etc instead of flipflops. I have so many virtually unused things, I can't imagine buying much more.

Edit to add: GGGirl made my point in a way more eloquent way. My perspective also has changed and affected my spending habits.

Hello Chanbal, Good for your dad! I do get your point about loving what you do and having other interests. I've read a lot lately about retirees or people wanting to make a career change are doing it later in life. I saw a national news profile that most universities have seen a surge in their continuing education programs or career changes amongst people who are further along in their careers. I wonder if taking a class that is of interest to you would give you some idea of something new without all the stress of a demanding career? I met a woman in trader joe's one day, she was 71 and had always wanted to go to law school. She missed the opportunity in her 20's or 30's so she went in her mid sixties. One ambitious woman! She had opened her own law practice and was thrilled to be doing her dream job at 71! She could not have been more thrilled, happy or positive. She was such a joy to talk to and proving " it is never too late to follow your dreams." Although, I'm not sure that's everyone's idea of a less stressful career, I found her choices and enthusiasm inspiring.
Thanks Gblb for your kind post. I was fortunate to have the chance to follow my dreams, but it looks like that I am also getting ready to try something new in the next couple of years (early retirement :cool:). I would like to try more artistic and fun fields of study, which I didn't have time while pursuing my dream career. Though, I have no intension of starting a practice late in life like the Trader Joe's woman :lol: (that part is done).

Hello All,
I unexpectedly retired five years ago after having a 35 year career in education. I loved teaching but my father lost all his vision becoming completely blind. Having Parkinson's as well he became wheelchair bound and immobile. I am honored to be his full time care giver although it's a an isolating like at times. I still wanted to be a vital part of the community so I became involved in our local preservation organization and somehow ending up on their board of directors. I have many responsibilities to this group but it brings a level of satisfaction. But now I just want to be free of responsibilities and concentrate on providing the highest quality of life for Dad while he is with us.
The year before I retired I bought many Chanel bags. Now I occasionally by a slg or something small. When you are no longer in the work force your perspective changes, your life style changes and what you need to have a happy life changes. I use my Chanel bags all the time but no longer feel the need to add to collection. In fact I'm selling off the ones I no longer use on a regular basis. Only keep the ones I really love and use.
When you retire your perspective on needs changes. Hopefully you slow down enough to appreciate how much you already have in your life and keep growing as person through travel, charity work, of even pursing a new profession. Hope this makes sense and helps others. Thanks for letting me share. LOL.
Your dedication to your father is beautiful and requires a lot of courage. Thanks for sharing your experience, it is very helpful. Cheers!:flowers:

I took early retirement 6 months ago (I highly recommend it). I have found that my attitude toward buying bags, clothes and shoes has changed. Even after donating a lot of stuff, I still have so much. Every time I see something I like, I think that I don't need it, or I already have something very similar. I never thought I'd lost the desire for new bags etc., in fact I have. Maybe I am just lazy, but I have to push myself to wear shoes etc instead of flipflops. I have so many virtually unused things, I can't imagine buying much more.

Edit to add: GGGirl made my point in a way more eloquent way. My perspective also has changed and affected my spending habits.
One of the first things I plan to do after retiring is to organize my things. I do a closet cleaning 1-2x/year, but I need to do something more drastic as I have zillions of unused things (some still with tags). I am going to keep only my favorite Chanel bags and selected RTW. Thanks for recommending early retirement, I am getting very enthusiastic with that possibility :graucho:.

Thanks Gblb for your kind post. I was fortunate to have the chance to follow my dreams, but it looks like that I am also getting ready to try something new in the next couple of years (early retirement :cool:). I would like to try more artistic and fun fields of study, which I didn't have time while pursuing my dream career. Though, I have no intension of starting a practice late in life like the Trader Joe's woman :lol: (that part is done).

Chanbal, it sounds like you have had a rewarding and fulfilling career thus far. I think trying something new sounds wonderful, and you have some great ideas for developing the fun and artistic side of yourself. I cannot wait to hear what you do when you do retire. The lady at trader joes was an oddity wanting to start such an intensive career later in life. I thought it was a good example though that it's never too late to try something new or do something new that just makes you happy. :biggrin: I look forward to hearing what's next in a few years.

Thank you all for this thread. I am not in retirement. Rather I'm hoping to get there one day. This thread encourages me even in this part of my mid-life where I am on a budget to provide for my family yet, can still afford some luxuries once in a while. Although I'm not in retirement it's my goal and this thread is so encouraging especially for me who enjoys traveling and my lovely Chanel's. Thanks for starting it Passau