Food Sangria Recipe??

Blue824

Jan 9, 2006
Anyone have one that they've tested out and love??

Having a bbq this weekend and thought that'd be a fun drink to add to the mix for the non-beer drinkers in the crowd (ok, mainly just my friend and I!)

Love to hear suggestions, there are lots online but I've also had some in restaurants that were gross, so I'd love one that you've tried and like! Thanks!

I've made this one from Cook's Illustrated several times. Use a nice cheap bottle of wine. I usually use a Little Penguin Merlot, it runs about $6.

:drinkup:

The longer sangria sits before drinking, the more smooth and mellow it will taste. A full day is best, but if that’s impossible, give it an absolute minimum of two hours to sit. Use large, heavy, juicy oranges and lemons for the best flavor. Doubling or tripling the recipe is fine, but you’ll have to switch to a large punch bowl in place of the pitcher. An inexpensive Merlot is the best choice for this recipe.

Serves 4 2 large juice oranges , washed; one orange sliced; remaining orange juiced 1 large lemon , washed and sliced 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup Triple Sec 1 bottle inexpensive, fruity, medium-bodied red wine (750 milliliters), chilled

1. Add sliced orange, lemon, and sugar to large pitcher; mash gently with wooden spoon until fruit releases some juice, but is not totally crushed, and sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine; refrigerate for at least 2, and up to 8, hours.

2. Before serving, add 6 to 8 ice cubes and stir briskly to distribute settled fruit and pulp; serve immediately.

I made a huge batch of sangria for a pool party last year in super hot Phoenix that turned out great.

I had one of those huge iced tea/lemonade pitchers from Costco - which was great. Everyone could just keep filling up themselves without mastering the punch bowl ladle.

As for the recipe...

4 oranges sliced
4 limes sliced
4 lemons sliced
1/2 gallon orange juice
2 "jugs" of wine. I did find a sangria wine so I bought that but use what you prefer but stay on the cheap side considering you're adding things to it.
2 2 liters of gingerale

I let it sit for 4 hours before the party and it just kept getting better. I did also add ice about 1/2 hour before the party to cool the drink down for the guests.

Enjoy!

I've made this one from Cook's Illustrated several times. Use a nice cheap bottle of wine. I usually use a Little Penguin Merlot, it runs about $6.

:drinkup:

The longer sangria sits before drinking, the more smooth and mellow it will taste. A full day is best, but if that’s impossible, give it an absolute minimum of two hours to sit. Use large, heavy, juicy oranges and lemons for the best flavor. Doubling or tripling the recipe is fine, but you’ll have to switch to a large punch bowl in place of the pitcher. An inexpensive Merlot is the best choice for this recipe.

Serves 4 2 large juice oranges , washed; one orange sliced; remaining orange juiced 1 large lemon , washed and sliced 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1/4 cup Triple Sec 1 bottle inexpensive, fruity, medium-bodied red wine (750 milliliters), chilled

1. Add sliced orange, lemon, and sugar to large pitcher; mash gently with wooden spoon until fruit releases some juice, but is not totally crushed, and sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine; refrigerate for at least 2, and up to 8, hours.

2. Before serving, add 6 to 8 ice cubes and stir briskly to distribute settled fruit and pulp; serve immediately.
My recipe is very similar.
1/4 c. Cognac or brandy (I prefer Hennessy, smoother)
1/4 c. sugar
1 bottle table or young wine (red or white, your preference)
Chopped fruit (I vary depending on what wine I use. I usually oranges and apples with red and oranges, peaches, and pineapples with white)

What I like to do is vary the fruit to excite the taste buds and have some fun. The important thing is to let it sit for a while to allow the fruit juices to mingle with the wine and allow the flavor to develop.

They both sound yummy! I went to a bbq last summer, the hosts were from venezula (?) and they had sangria. I think it also had strawberries. I definately want to try these recipes.

I LOVE SANGRIA!!!!!

My mom and I make it all of the time!!!

My recipe:

1 can frozen lemonade
1 can frozen limeade
1 can frozen grape juice
Some sierra mist (used as much as you want)
LOTS of red table wine...probably two-three bottles or one of those HUGE jugs of it....
Lots of sliced fresh fruit....limes, lemons, grapes, apples, strawberries...whatever you want to add!!! It's always a big hit at our summer parties!!!!