It Was Meant To Be (a reveal)

Ruxby

May 31, 2013
Back in 2002, my very first choice of a designer bag was between a Marc Jacobs leather messenger and this particular Mulberry bag. They were both being sold at a Barneys New York near me and I remember frequently visiting the store for months to see if the bags became on sale.

I wasn't familiar with the brand Mulberry at that time. All I know about it is that it's British and also the fact that the oak color and the leather quality of this handsome Mulberry bag that I have my eyes on was beautiful! Marc Jacobs, on the other hand, I am familiar of. He is my favorite designer and have known his work since his Perry Ellis days. This Marc Jacobs leather messenger was the very first style of bag designed for men. It was from the Fall 2002 collection which continues to be my all time favorite Marc Jacobs designed collection to this date.

The Marc Jacobs bag went on sale from $995 to $498 which was a lot of money for me at that time for a designer bag. With the help of Gerald, the sales associate at Barneys who hid the bag for me until I had enough money to buy it and with my tip money from working at a restaurant plus a check from extra student loan money arriving perfectly, I was so happy to take home my very first designer bag by Marc Jacobs

29kxsib.jpg

This is the Marc Jacobs ad featuring the bag I bought in 2002

The prospect of owning a Mulberry bag just became a dream. Through the years, while I was contended with my Marc Jacobs bag, I continued to admire this particular Mulberry bag from looking at magazine photos and from guys I came across the street carrying them. From 2002 to 2014, my Marc Jacobs bag became a trusted companion that carried all my personal belongings through good times and even the bad times. It became more than just a bag, but rather a friend. When it started to show excessive wear and tear, I brought it to a local luggage repair for a much needed repair and cleaning which turned out to be a mistake because it removed the beautiful natural patina of the leather from years of usage and it made the bag look new without character and history.

5fm1hu.jpg

The 14 year old Marc Jacobs bag today

to be continued...

Last edited: