Advice on discolored Cuir?

beesaunt

O.G.
Nov 10, 2008
Hello Everyone! I'm hoping to get some advice please. I just purchased a turquoise long-handle Le Pliage Cuir on eBay. It looks gorgeous at first glance, but as I inspected the bag, it clearly has yellowing throughout that I'm not very happy with. I'm going to keep it, but am debating whether I should have it dyed black, try to have the color restored or keep it as-is.

I've been searching the forums on dyeing, and it sounds like some people have had great success, others not so much. I'm nervous to DIY but know if I send it somewhere to get it dyed, it could be pretty pricey and come back stiff. Plus I'm not even sure who to send it to these days. I didn't see much current info on the forum about service providers. I sent a bag for re-dyeing ages ago, but wasn't happy with the results (stiff and coated).

Any thoughts? Would love input as I decide what to do! I'm going to my local cobbler today just to see what they say (they've dyed a small suede wallet for me before with okay results, but I don't know that I'd want them to dye a whole bag.)Thank you!

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1463847783.437261.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1463847797.325568.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1463847831.288234.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1463847844.628005.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1463847856.567647.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1463847868.790204.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1463847881.287527.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1463847892.703286.jpg

1. For the price you paid and if you had wanted a black LPC tote, you could have gotten a black one from ebay from Nordy's last anniversary sale.

2. If you dont wanna DIY, I think a cobbler is the way to go.

1. For the price you paid and if you had wanted a black LPC tote, you could have gotten a black one from ebay from Nordy's last anniversary sale.

2. If you dont wanna DIY, I think a cobbler is the way to go.
Thanks for the advice!

Did you see this one on ebay as well? (Just wondering how you know how much I paid for it.)

I actually did have a black one for about a month, but felt convicted to give it away to a friend who really wanted it. And I do like this color, but not how it looks on close inspection. (The seller did disclose there was fading, but I didn't call into account that fading on light-colored bags usually means yellowing.)

Going to talk to a cobbler right now :smile:

Last edited:
I would say go to a cobbler and have it professionally dyed. The color is gorgeous and Longchamp hasn't made a beautiful turquoise in a long time! This was one of the first cuirs so it is buttery soft compared to the current ones so there is less chance that it will be stiff.

And also-- I wouldn't recommend DIY unless you want to dye it a dark color like l brown or navy blue or black but as seton said, black was available for a limited time and you could still find those on ebay.

I would say go to a cobbler and have it professionally dyed. The color is gorgeous and Longchamp hasn't made a beautiful turquoise in a long time! This was one of the first cuirs so it is buttery soft compared to the current ones so there is less chance that it will be stiff.

And also-- I wouldn't recommend DIY unless you want to dye it a dark color like l brown or navy blue or black but as seton said, black was available for a limited time and you could still find those on ebay.

Thanks for the advice, especially about the quality of the leather. You're right; it is amazingly soft and the color is beautiful. I was only considering dyeing it black because I wasn't sure there was anything that could be done to get rid of the yellowing and bring back the original color. The cobbler I spoke to didn't recommend dyeing it black anyway, but refreshing the color with a coating dye (vs. penetrating dye). She said it would change the texture, but not too much.