LV +Vat question...

Just order it through a store in France. You will have to pay with a bank transfer as they won't process a credit card if you are not present and it's a foreign card. I have done all this before.

Ooh thank you usually how long is the process ?
From the ordering n the items is ready ?
If I tooks 1-2 days so I may just paid in store n wait right ?

So I bought in Italy. At the LV boutique they gave me the VAT refund paperwork in a little envelope and said that I needed to mail the info in to Blue Global. When I got to the airport I saw a Blue Global stand. They asked if I wanted the refund to my card and I said yes. I then asked what I needed to mail in and they kept shaking their heads no. But I don't speak Italian. So I am guessing that everything was processed at the airport. Just want to make sure because I read they can take refund away if you don't process correctly. Thanks.

Do you have a copy of your paperwork? LV usually gives you two copies. You can track the status online. Since it was a global blue office you probably don't have to mail it in. I mailed mine in but I didn't go to an office, just got a customs stamp.

When you purchase in Europe are you claiming the purchases on your customs when you return to the US? I bought a bag at the LV store in Florence and it was over the allotted amount for customs so I was honest and stated that on my customs form...the agent looked at me like I was a fool and told me to just go ...no need to claim😁😁😁

So I bought in Italy. At the LV boutique they gave me the VAT refund paperwork in a little envelope and said that I needed to mail the info in to Blue Global. When I got to the airport I saw a Blue Global stand. They asked if I wanted the refund to my card and I said yes. I then asked what I needed to mail in and they kept shaking their heads no. But I don't speak Italian. So I am guessing that everything was processed at the airport. Just want to make sure because I read they can take refund away if you don't process correctly. Thanks.

Did you have the form stamped by customs before you gave it to Global Blue? That is required in order to receive the refund. Once stamped by customs you have two options: (i) take the form to the stand if there is one at the airport (in your case there was), or (ii) drop the envelope with the form in the Global Blue Box. I believe you can also mail the form back by dropping it in a postal box at the airport, but the company usually has a stand and/or box at the airport. Cash refunds if the form is handed over at a stand are immediate, but you get less back. Refunds to your credit card if the form is handed over at a stand still can take a week or so to process. Refunds dropped in the box can take several weeks...even months, I've heard. If you have a copy of the refund form, you can track your refund on Global Blue's website. Declaring your purchase with US Customs and possibly paying US Customs Tax upon returning to the states is a totally different issue. HTH

Reactions: Colorfulevidenc
Did you have the form stamped by customs before you gave it to Global Blue? That is required in order to receive the refund. Once stamped by customs you have two options: (i) take the form to the stand if there is one at the airport (in your case there was), or (ii) drop the envelope with the form in the Global Blue Box. I believe you can also mail the form back by dropping it in a postal box at the airport, but the company usually has a stand and/or box at the airport. Cash refunds if the form is handed over at a stand are immediate, but you get less back. Refunds to your credit card if the form is handed over at a stand still can take a week or so to process. Refunds dropped in the box can take several weeks...even months, I've heard. If you have a copy of the refund form, you can track your refund on Global Blue's website. Declaring your purchase with US Customs and possibly paying US Customs Tax upon returning to the states is a totally different issue. HTH

No. No customs stamp. But Global Blue didn't wave me off and tell me to go elsewhere to get the stamp :shrugs:. They took the paperwork, my passport, my tickets and then asked if I wanted a refund to my card. I hope it's taken care of? Maybe the stamp was just needed if I hadn't done it at the airport?! Thanks for the help.

Do you have a copy of your paperwork? LV usually gives you two copies. You can track the status online. Since it was a global blue office you probably don't have to mail it in. I mailed mine in but I didn't go to an office, just got a customs stamp.

When you purchase in Europe are you claiming the purchases on your customs when you return to the US? I bought a bag at the LV store in Florence and it was over the allotted amount for customs so I was honest and stated that on my customs form...the agent looked at me like I was a fool and told me to just go ...no need to claim😁😁😁

Thanks. I just saw your responses to my question. Good idea on tracking. And since I only got a wallet it was within the US allowance. Easy on the USA end.

From my experience I had to get the customs stamp at the airport of departure for them to confirm that the item was new and unused. Then I mailed it in the envelope provided and included my credit card details for the refund.

I can confirm it takes a super long time to process. It probably took 2 months for me to see the refund on my credit card statement. But it was a lovely surprise since I didn't track it beforehand!

I got a VAT refund for an Emilie wallet 3.5 weeks later. I was expecting much, much later though. I used the Pablo kiosk at the airport and dropped it in the mailbox there without talking to anyone from customs or global blue. The machine gave me the green light & the process worked itself out.

I had to mail my second refund paperwork from the states (forgot to do it there) and I suspect that could take a bit longer...lol. I flew out of CDG with a layover in Dublin.

Hello, please help! I leave for Nice France in less than a week, I have never shopped for luxury goods overseas before and plan to at least buy a Louis Vuitton bag while I am there. My problem is my flight departs France before the Global Blue counter opens at 6:45am! I am stopping in Amsterdam for a very short connection before heading back to the states. How do I get my VAT refund? Any and all advice or suggestions welcome, as I said I have absolutely no experience with what to do! [emoji29]

I thought I would run into the same problem in Paris, but at CDG, they have Global Blue machines on the lower level where you just scan your paperwork/receipt that LV will give you. From there, it will either tell you that you're done and to seal your envelope and drop it in the Global Blue box, or it may tell you to go to an agent. My experience was the former, so it was all quite simple. I would go to the airport extra early just to give yourself time to find the VAT refund area and so that you're not running the risk of missing your flight as you're taking care of this. Good luck and have a lovely trip! Nice is beautiful!

P.S. If you like gelato, you must try Fenocchio in Old Town Nice!

Dont do it in Amsterdam with a short connection!!!

I came home from Paris via Amsterdam, with a short connection ( a little more than an hour) and it was HORRIBLE! We got off the plane in Amsterdam, then had to line up to go thru customs to exit the EU. The lines were extremely long, and we queued for about 30 minutes, then ran from customs to the boarding gate (and barely made it!)

So I would recommend doing your VAT refunds at CDG. If you made all your purchases in France, then you can use the kiosk for the customs stamp. We dropped our refunds in the mailbox at the airport, and the refunds were back on my CC in ~3 weeks.

Can anybody post a link to a clear step-by-step description of the VAT process? The one time I tried to do this with purchases from Copenhagen, I was told I had to take care of the refund in my home country, and there was no office upon my return that I could go to.