True cost of fashion

preciousl

Dec 25, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've recently watched a documentary on the true cost of fashion and it's opened my eyes about the ramifications on the environment and labour in developing countries.

So, I was wondering about haute couture and high end brands like Chanel, what are their stance on corporate social responsibility?

Quite a serious topic, I know. But I'm scared/feel guilty about shopping now and I'd like to be a bit more conscious of where I buy my stuff.

Yes, while I was a little bit aware of the sweatshop labour (hopefully Chanel doesn't participate in this), the environmental effects of treating leather is another concern.

I watched that documentary and a few others (John Oliver also did a good segment on this) and in the end the labels' approaches can be very tricky. It's hard to say which brand is truly conscious and costing more doesn't equal paying workers more.

That said, a BIG reason for this terrible trend is "fast fashion." If people demand $3 tshirts and pass on the $15 better quality one, that's what's gonna happen.

So what I do is first off avoid fast fashion. H&M, Zara (although they're changing a bit), etc. I'm not saying I hate bargains, but I'd rather not have a $3 trendy tshirt than have it and know it's definitely hurting someone's life. So I start at mid-high range when I shop. Then, when I like a garment, I look at place of manufacturing. Many countries are "the usual suspects." So even if the garment costs $1k and I love it, there are a few countries I will not buy from.

This is not the best way to do it but it helps me feel better and buy less things I won't wear in a few weeks (my bank account might disagree, but my closet doesn't!).

How do they define sweatshop labor? I have seen many difficult working conditions here in LA which I found shocking-shocking that there was no regulation or agency overseeing it. I haven't seen children working, but the warehouse/ factory conditions can be awful. I will look for the documentary.

Does chanel make clothes in 3rd world country? I watched the documentary and felt it was very one sided.

Countries like myanmmar china vietnam thrive on these things and keeps the labour force strong. Of cos i am not saying it means losing their lives over it. Their government have to do their part for workers safety if they are going to , so freely, welcome these big brands in to 'set up' factories there.

Of course that does not say anything about the environment but i am sure, many things beyond clothes do much more harm to our environment

I watched that documentary and a few others (John Oliver also did a good segment on this) and in the end the labels' approaches can be very tricky. It's hard to say which brand is truly conscious and costing more doesn't equal paying workers more.

That said, a BIG reason for this terrible trend is "fast fashion." If people demand $3 tshirts and pass on the $15 better quality one, that's what's gonna happen.

So what I do is first off avoid fast fashion. H&M, Zara (although they're changing a bit), etc. I'm not saying I hate bargains, but I'd rather not have a $3 trendy tshirt than have it and know it's definitely hurting someone's life. So I start at mid-high range when I shop. Then, when I like a garment, I look at place of manufacturing. Many countries are "the usual suspects." So even if the garment costs $1k and I love it, there are a few countries I will not buy from.

This is not the best way to do it but it helps me feel better and buy less things I won't wear in a few weeks (my bank account might disagree, but my closet doesn't!).

Yes, I agree, fast fashion is a big culprit... So now when I see things that are cheap, I stop myself from buying. there's a brand in the film called People Tree which seems to be quite ethical in the way they make clothes.

Does chanel make clothes in 3rd world country? I watched the documentary and felt it was very one sided.

Countries like myanmmar china vietnam thrive on these things and keeps the labour force strong. Of cos i am not saying it means losing their lives over it. Their government have to do their part for workers safety if they are going to , so freely, welcome these big brands in to 'set up' factories there.

Of course that does not say anything about the environment but i am sure, many things beyond clothes do much more harm to our environment

I think the film was mainly targeting the 'fast fashion' industry. I'm not sure where Chanel make their clothes, but I'd like to know about their corporate social responsibility activities.

Yes they make their bags in France, Italy and Spain etc, but where do they source their leather?