How is your Pandora black Pepe leather holding up?

Gracer0ni

Jul 28, 2015
Hi all! I'm new to Givenchy. Usually am a fan of Balenciaga but recently discovered how smooshy and wonderful Pandora bags are! I would like to get a black Pandora in size small, but am having trouble deciding between the smooth or Pepe leather. Are the both equally soft and smooshy? I like the look of the Pepe but have been reading posts that colored Pepe bags fade with use. Does that apply to the black Pepe bags as well? I want to get whichever leather won't fade or scuff badly on the corners. I also have 2 kids under 5 so won't be able to baby the bag too much :smile: thanks so much for your help!!

I've had my black Pepe Pandora for over a year. It does scuff where the corners are, and wherever it rests on a surface (the front side where the small zipper is). That being said, the Pepe leather's texture means the scuffs blend well. I didn't notice the scuffing until I looked carefully at my bag one day. The scuffs are kind of blue-gray, so it looks like light reflecting off the leather until you look closely.
I ended up using a thin coat of zelikovitz satin top coat on the scuffs. The coat darkens the scuffs and protects them from more wear. The satin finish also works really well with the Pepe finish, just don't apply too much or it will be overly shiny. It's pretty low maintenance, I check every 6 months to see if I need to do another coat, but the bag looks as good as new.
I don't baby my bag by any means.
If you want something with no maintenance, goatskin is the way to go. To me, the goat is smooshier, but I prefer the unique look of the Pepe - I don't have any bags like it. I haven't had any trouble with it after the top coat. It's definitely sturdier than my lambskin Bals.
HTH!

Reactions: CSG
In goatskin it's very hard wearing. I accidentally dropped mine onto the pavement, not a mark to my astonishment. There's no sign of colour loss or wear to corners and I've used it a lot over the last 6 months.
I'd say go for the leather that appeals to you most - sounds like the pepe? rather than worrying too much about wear. All leather bags will show wear eventually.

I baby my bags...I would never set it on the floor etc...mine is perfect and I have had it for a few years. This is a wonderful unique bag that holds a great deal due to the amazing design. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your comments! I'm not sure which I prefer :smile: I like the smooshiness and softness of the goat but I like the distressed look of the Pepe. But I like how the goat is a softer black. I wouldn't mind some grayness, but not blue. Thanks for all ur input though! Very helpful :smile:

I bought my Pandora pre loved, really really pre loved (it was covered in mold!). I really enjoyed the bag it was my fav everyday and was pretty tough. But unfortunately one of the threads came loose. Now it's back at givenchy getting repaired :sad:

I've had my black Pepe Pandora for over a year. It does scuff where the corners are, and wherever it rests on a surface (the front side where the small zipper is). That being said, the Pepe leather's texture means the scuffs blend well. I didn't notice the scuffing until I looked carefully at my bag one day. The scuffs are kind of blue-gray, so it looks like light reflecting off the leather until you look closely.
I ended up using a thin coat of zelikovitz satin top coat on the scuffs. The coat darkens the scuffs and protects them from more wear. The satin finish also works really well with the Pepe finish, just don't apply too much or it will be overly shiny. It's pretty low maintenance, I check every 6 months to see if I need to do another coat, but the bag looks as good as new.
I don't baby my bag by any means.
If you want something with no maintenance, goatskin is the way to go. To me, the goat is smooshier, but I prefer the unique look of the Pepe - I don't have any bags like it. I haven't had any trouble with it after the top coat. It's definitely sturdier than my lambskin Bals.
HTH!
can you post an image of yours? thanks!

I tried my best to take photos. For your reference, the last time I used the zelikovitz top coat was summer 2015.

The first picture shows slight corner wear. It's much tougher to see in real life, since the leather is still shiny and reflects light back. The second picture is where I discovered scuffing on the front of the bag on the crinkly raised part. I can't see the scuffing after the top coat. The third image is where I found a bit of wear by the front zipper (bumped out portion on the right hand side, in the middle of the image).
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1458085517.861378.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1458085535.977922.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1458085546.181437.jpg

Last edited:
This doesn't look bad at all! And you wear it often?

The scuffing was more noticeable when I didn't use the topcoat, it would definitely bug me if I didn't have it. Now that I've covered the scuff areas, it's looks like new again and I feel that I can use the bag without fretting over it.

I keep this bag on regular rotation. I usually take it out a few times a month for several days at a time. It is easy to travel with. It has accompanied me on many long, all-day walks and been stuffed under plane seats (in a dustbag, of course!)

I have a Pepe Obsedia messenger which I think is around 4-5 years old and so far it's holding up well. I don't baby it (like with all my Givenchys) and has that lived in look. What I noticed though is the hardware from a very light pale gold is showing oxidation. But I'm fine with it. :smile:

I don't baby my wall black pepe and I try to take care of it.. But, sometimes accidents happen. I dropped pizza sauce all over the top of my bag once. :cry:I frantically wiped all of it off and took a moist paper towel and wiped my bag. It turned out fine and it's like nothing ever happened :amazed: The corners are the tiniest bit scuffed, but it's hardly noticeable!