When did Goyard change the monogram / introduce the colours?

alizhan

Aug 15, 2015
Hi folks, any idea when did they change from the vintage monogram as seen in the photo to the various colored chevron pattern that we see today? Thanks.

I am intrigued with the vintage monogram.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1453167310.890663.jpg

Last edited:
I believe it was Edmond Goyard (1860-1937) started the new chevron pattern. His son Robert Goyard altered the pattern to the updated version in 1968. But don't quote me on it :smile:

Last edited:
I believe it was Edmond Goyard (1860-1937) started the new chevron pattern. His son Robert Goyard altered the pattern to the updated version in 1968. But don't quote me on it :smile:

Thanks Twelve.

It is interesting. If your theory is correct, then those pieces that have the vintage chevron pattern are made before 1968......

Thanks Twelve.

It is interesting. If your theory is correct, then those pieces that have the vintage chevron pattern are made before 1968......
The vintage monogram (Goyardine canvas) was developed in 1892. Edmond was like a painter has his name written onto the canvas in white for it to stand out, on the trunks made even before 1900 . I can't say when exactly it was changed over.

These bags are from 1968 to 1980.

"If Edmond Goyard left his mark on the history of the brand by creating the Goyardine, his son Robert also created a new fabric: a four-shade-woven canvas. This canvas is used in bags designed for frequent air travel. Robert Goyard patented his new canvas on November 24, 1965, and described its design as “Chevrons intertwined with linear stripes.” This new canvas not only allows for a more modern look: for it is a woven canvas, it is also much softer than the historic Goyard canvas, thus making it possible to manufacture new products. In order to improve the solidity of the weaving, Robert Goyard altered the pattern in 1968, and came up with a totally updated version that is easily recognizable from the previous one, as it is much more even."

These bags are from 1968 to 1980.

"If Edmond Goyard left his mark on the history of the brand by creating the Goyardine, his son Robert also created a new fabric: a four-shade-woven canvas. This canvas is used in bags designed for frequent air travel. Robert Goyard patented his new canvas on November 24, 1965, and described its design as “Chevrons intertwined with linear stripes.” This new canvas not only allows for a more modern look: for it is a woven canvas, it is also much softer than the historic Goyard canvas, thus making it possible to manufacture new products. In order to improve the solidity of the weaving, Robert Goyard altered the pattern in 1968, and came up with a totally updated version that is easily recognizable from the previous one, as it is much more even."

Thanks for the information. It makes perfect sense now! :smile: