Advice please? Tank Solo or Louis Cartier

ElegantRascal

May 22, 2015
Hi, this is my first post in tPF outside the handbag section! I have to make a really hard decision and I wonder if any of you with Cartier watches might be able to help.
My birthday and of course Christmas are coming up and I've been given a very generous choice of present - either a Tank Solo (the small model in pink gold with brown alligator strap) with an Hermes Garden Party as well, OR the more expensive Tank Louis Cartier (the small model in yellow gold with brown alligator strap) with no handbag. This would be my joint present for my birthday and Christmas, and I can't ask for both the Tank L.C. and the Garden Party!

I'm not sure which watch I prefer. The Tank Louis Cartier appeals to me because:
- I really like the more delicate look
- it is solid gold, not just plated, with a real sapphire cabochon, and to me feels more special
- I kind of think, since I hope this will be my watch forever and don't want to upgrade later, I should get the one that I feel is most special.

But then the Tank Solo has these good points:
- I prefer pink gold to yellow, and the small Tank L.C. only comes in yellow gold (though it seems not very different from the pink gold?)
- the Tank L.C. is a very expensive watch to worry about losing/breaking/being stolen etc.…
- I would also get a lovely handbag if I got the Tank Solo.

I went into the shop yesterday to try them on and am still unsure - what do you think? I'm thinking of going for the Tank L.C.... Any advice or pictures from people who have either would be very welcome! Thank you very much! :smile:

I 100% agree with the LC. It is a classic, timeless piece that you will keep forever. The solo is nice but definitely not as lovely as the LC. And yes the yellow and rose gold is quite similar.

Wow that really is beautiful… Though is it different in the small size, as the small model's not automatic?

That movement isn't automatic, it's manual wind (there's no rotor).
Albeit I just realized that they no longer produce the women's version with a mechanical movement. They are using this quartz movement now.
http://www.watchprosite.com/img/watchprosite/ml/66/scaled/ml_image.1796866.jpg

Still pretty and as an added bonus it'll be far more accurate and since there is no second hand, no one will be the wiser about it being a quartz. ;)

Last edited:
That movement isn't automatic, it's manual wind (there's no rotor).
Albeit I just realize that they no longer produce the women's version with a mechanical movement. They are using this quartz movement now.
http://www.watchprosite.com/img/watchprosite/ml/66/scaled/ml_image.1796866.jpg

Still pretty and as an added bonus it'll be far more accurate and since there is no second hand, no one will be the wiser about it being a quartz. ;)
Oh brilliant, thanks I didn't know that! :smile: