Roots Leather Bags

Gah i had written a big long response i lost it.

Ok basically long story short.

I have the small grace in tribe(which ive been meaning to write a review about but been a bit busy with different things) and the olivia in black prince. I love them, however i don't think i will go for a tribe leather bag again.

I find that my bag picks up dyes and colours really easily. The side i wear inwards against my body is significantly darker than the side that faces out. I can only guess that this is from the black pants that i am usually wearing for work but at the same time they are not new pants and have been washed hundreds of times so there shouldn't be any colour transfer. That is the only thing i can think it is from though. I will also be honest and say that it is possible that this problem has been happening to my previous bags as well but seeing as i usually go for dark(black) bags i could just not be noticing it. Don't let this frighten you though I have spoken and read about this in person and online(including on this forum) and no one seems to share this problem so perhaps i just have a bad one... or perhaps it's me(my pants).

I saw someone wearing the little edie a few weeks ago and it was really cute, small yes, but very cute. If you're into small bags then it would be a really cute addition. I also agree with what HesistantShopper said about not fitting a wallet inside. You may be able to fit a small flip size wallet but definitely not any large wallets. It's very small maybe the size of a postcard or so maybe slightly bigger.

The Karly bag is very cute too. It looks like a baby grace bag. I don;t recall seeing this one in person at the store... it's probably just slipping my memory though.

Regardless of your decision i think you will be really happy as the leather from roots is top notch and you will have it for years to come. In my opinion their leather stuff is a steal considering the price and quality.

The Olivia bag i had i used for about 3 years straight everyday and it still looks the same as it did the day i bought it. I only recently got the small grace bag but aside from the colour problem it still is in excellent condition.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

I have read this before from you, i wonder if it's the leather darkening from it rubbing onto your body? not dismissing transfer, just i noticed when pulling mine out how it was darker in the places i touched most often.

I do know this leather develops a patina and will darken in places not all across the hide in a uniform manner.

Again, so not dismissing you! have you spoken with CS? Couldn't agree with you more on the value of Roots leathers... My mothers old purse is still in pretty top form despite over 10 yrs of constant use and she's not nice to it at all, i finally lent her my edie since it won't fit my large wallet lol

I looked up Roots leather info and i wonder if this part plays a role in your darkened area..

"Tribe leather is at the heart and soul of Roots. This leather is tanned using a hand-made process, ensuring it will never fade or crack, and hand buffed to create a vintage effect – no two hides will ever be the same. Its worn-in appearance shows off just how much you love it, and will become softer (and better) with age. info.roots.com/leathercareinfo/tribe1.jpg?1431608438677

"

Are you able to post a pic? reason i ask is because i worry about my tribe one lol

Gah i had written a big long response i lost it.

Ok basically long story short.

I have the small grace in tribe(which ive been meaning to write a review about but been a bit busy with different things) and the olivia in black prince. I love them, however i don't think i will go for a tribe leather bag again.

I find that my bag picks up dyes and colours really easily. The side i wear inwards against my body is significantly darker than the side that faces out. I can only guess that this is from the black pants that i am usually wearing for work but at the same time they are not new pants and have been washed hundreds of times so there shouldn't be any colour transfer. That is the only thing i can think it is from though. I will also be honest and say that it is possible that this problem has been happening to my previous bags as well but seeing as i usually go for dark(black) bags i could just not be noticing it. Don't let this frighten you though I have spoken and read about this in person and online(including on this forum) and no one seems to share this problem so perhaps i just have a bad one... or perhaps it's me(my pants).

I saw someone wearing the little edie a few weeks ago and it was really cute, small yes, but very cute. If you're into small bags then it would be a really cute addition. I also agree with what HesistantShopper said about not fitting a wallet inside. You may be able to fit a small flip size wallet but definitely not any large wallets. It's very small maybe the size of a postcard or so maybe slightly bigger.

The Karly bag is very cute too. It looks like a baby grace bag. I don;t recall seeing this one in person at the store... it's probably just slipping my memory though.

Regardless of your decision i think you will be really happy as the leather from roots is top notch and you will have it for years to come. In my opinion their leather stuff is a steal considering the price and quality.

The Olivia bag i had i used for about 3 years straight everyday and it still looks the same as it did the day i bought it. I only recently got the small grace bag but aside from the colour problem it still is in excellent condition.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks so much for your honest opinion regarding the tribe leather. Is the tribe leather supposed to be treated with anything prior to use? I wonder if that would prevent any color transfer. I'll research this more since I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like uniformity if possible.

Now I'm wondering if the Edie will be too small. The depth is only 1.75", correct? That might be too tiny. Usually I like a depth between 2.5" and 5", depending on what I'm carrying.

Thanks so much for your honest opinion regarding the tribe leather. Is the tribe leather supposed to be treated with anything prior to use? I wonder if that would prevent any color transfer. I'll research this more since I'm a bit of a perfectionist and like uniformity if possible.

Now I'm wondering if the Edie will be too small. The depth is only 1.75", correct? That might be too tiny. Usually I like a depth between 2.5" and 5", depending on what I'm carrying.

No it's not when i bought mine, i was told so by the SA. I would speak with CS on tribe leather..i have had no issues with mine, actually i have never had transfer with my leathers Roots items but there are so many variables.

Depth of edie? i can measure mine if you like lol... it happens to be here today.

Could you? The website says 1.75". I just hope that's not too snug for my wallet and sunglasses (the essentials)

I am coming up with 2in myself. Leather will stretch though and it has plenty of expansion to it.

I do understand though when you cannot try them in real life, it's hard to get a feel for what does actually fit.

I have read this before from you, i wonder if it's the leather darkening from it rubbing onto your body? not dismissing transfer, just i noticed when pulling mine out how it was darker in the places i touched most often.

I do know this leather develops a patina and will darken in places not all across the hide in a uniform manner.

Again, so not dismissing you! have you spoken with CS? Couldn't agree with you more on the value of Roots leathers... My mothers old purse is still in pretty top form despite over 10 yrs of constant use and she's not nice to it at all, i finally lent her my edie since it won't fit my large wallet lol

I looked up Roots leather info and i wonder if this part plays a role in your darkened area..

"Tribe leather is at the heart and soul of Roots. This leather is tanned using a hand-made process, ensuring it will never fade or crack, and hand buffed to create a vintage effect – no two hides will ever be the same. Its worn-in appearance shows off just how much you love it, and will become softer (and better) with age. info.roots.com/leathercareinfo/tribe1.jpg?1431608438677

"

Are you able to post a pic? reason i ask is because i worry about my tribe one lol

Perhaps.....

However i was under the impression that the patina happened over a long time not after a month or two of wear. I mean i don't think i dislike it, in fact part of me kind of likes it better now that it's a bit darker. However there are definitately areas that are not just darker but actually black for example on the edges of the handles where the leather is sewn.

I did go in one day and try to speak with a SA about it but they must have been new or something as they weren't all that helpful and didn't seem to understand what i was asking .. they just said to try the roots leather cleaner. I have tried the equivalent of the roots cleaner and it has not really helped. I mean i don't know, i guess i am complaining but when it really comes down to it, it doesnt bother me THAT much. I guess i was just surprised that it happened so fast...

I will post pictures this weekend i promise!!!!

Perhaps.....

However i was under the impression that the patina happened over a long time not after a month or two of wear. I mean i don't think i dislike it, in fact part of me kind of likes it better now that it's a bit darker. However there are definitately areas that are not just darker but actually black for example on the edges of the handles where the leather is sewn.

I did go in one day and try to speak with a SA about it but they must have been new or something as they weren't all that helpful and didn't seem to understand what i was asking .. they just said to try the roots leather cleaner. I have tried the equivalent of the roots cleaner and it has not really helped. I mean i don't know, i guess i am complaining but when it really comes down to it, it doesnt bother me THAT much. I guess i was just surprised that it happened so fast...

I will post pictures this weekend i promise!!!!

It starts Minor changing fairly quickly, the oils from our hands, even the sun exposure that is the way leathers are especially those left in a more natural state.

Actually i was surprised how much mine had darkened in areas when i brought it out but it was normal patina not color transfer.

Pictures would be great if you get a chance! Usually, they should be very knowledge d in the leathers there, it's something i am always asked in the surveys. :smile:

So the Edie in tribe was restocked on the U.S. site and I jumped on it, with the $15 off $75 or more coupon. I can't wait to see it in person!!! Today was pay day, so I figured I should treat myself...haha

Yep, my memory didn't fail me lol My Cutie tote is prince leather!

Here it's the green one in this shot... as i said withstood 2yrs of regular use and winter, rain etc.. no i never treated it either.

You can see my Edie as well as my very old Purple bag the Small Venetian... my newest one isn't in this group shot or my pouches, wristlets or other SLG from Roots.

IMG_6695_zpsmj4ldkjy.jpg

This is straight off of Roots site as for care with Prince leather, basically it's a pebbled leather very soft and durable.

"With Prince Leather, we feel just fine playing favourites. It’s one of our most popular leathers with a supple and silky touch, featuring a milled finish for that added texture we love. No need to worry with Prince; it’s been sealed and protected during production."
i like the green one. i wanna it can not wait

My Edie bag arrived today!! DHL is quite slow, but it was worth the wait! It's not even that small, and I can fit my huge, over-stuffed wallet in it with no problem (and my Roots tribe coin purse, sunglasses, keys, hand sanitizer, and more with no problem). I love how it's so light weight and versatile. And it comes with the beaver key chain!!!!

My Edie bag arrived today!! DHL is quite slow, but it was worth the wait! It's not even that small, and I can fit my huge, over-stuffed wallet in it with no problem (and my Roots tribe coin purse, sunglasses, keys, hand sanitizer, and more with no problem). I love how it's so light weight and versatile. And it comes with the beaver key chain!!!!

Glad to hear your happy with it and holds all the stuff you need!