Opinions About Rouge H

I SO'd a rouge H togo sellier 35 kelly with white stitching and I love it, but I would say it's a 3 season color. It looks great in the spring with grays, navy's black, white camel, but I have to say I do not use it in the summer. I am very excited that we have had some cool days because it is now back in my rotation!

Rouge H is an amazing color. However, note that it looks radically different on different leathers.

1) Yes, it's a neutral, in the sense that navy is a neutral IMO. Since "oxblood" became so popular it's as though trends caught up to Rouge H.
2) I think year-round depends more on leather, not colour, so I will say yes. It's more about appropriate setting: you would not take a Rouge H box Kelly to the beach (well, I would not) but you can certainly take to dinner in Manhattan any night of the year.

If you are thinking about a Birkin, you will probably be looking at Togo, Clemence, Epsom, or maybe Box or Chevre if you get lucky. Rouge H is beautiful in all these colours but currently in Epsom it's very brown. It's still a lovely colour (if you like Epsom) but not the deep red we usually associated with RH. In Box it is stunning.

I am totally perplexed by how a colour can be an age but thats just me :shrugs:

I knew I would get a lot of differing opinions:smile: I happen to think Yes and Yes, as I too, carry a bag to my whims not necessarily to the season (and I don't buy any really 'summery' bags).

I am getting a preloved in Clemence, I have to check the date I forget. I don't think it is vintage, though

Yes, it's a neutral color for me. Yes, I wear it any time of year. I have it in boxcalf with GHW.

I've never been one to wear any particular bag or color only for summer or only for winter. If I want to get all my bags in the rotation, I can't shelve any bag for an entire season. The only time season factors into my bag choice is with my Barenia bag. I wear a ton of sunscreen during the summer, so I'll try to limit use of that bag to evenings or cloudy days when I'm not quite as shellacked with sunscreen.

Reactions: Sus
I knew I would get a lot of differing opinions:smile: I happen to think Yes and Yes, as I too, carry a bag to my whims not necessarily to the season (and I don't buy any really 'summery' bags).

I am getting a preloved in Clemence, I have to check the date I forget. I don't think it is vintage, though
Congrats! I think it's a gorgeous color and depending on your wardrobe, possibly an all year round staple. I'm not sure how age became a factor in judging this color...

I have rouge H Kelly 35 in Clemence. Phw. I use it all year round as goes beautifully with navy, grey, dark purple, neutral cream/ beiges and white. I wear these colours all year round too. Also looks great with black as has black resin.

Personal choice on colour. I don't find it an 'old ' colour at all. My Kelly has shorter canvas strap, so looks younger and casual if worn on shoulder.

I don't own a Rouge H but I find it to be a rich, classic color in the right leather (as others have mentioned it can appear brownish). I think it can be worn all year round depending on the colors of your outfits. I have prune clemence lindy which looks like dark burgungy-ish purple. I mostly use it 3 seasons. In the summer I wear a lot of various bright summery colors and some don't go with prune as well as my orange, gold, natural bags. I find that I can sometimes lighten the look of it with a twily. Neutral is subjective based on one's style, taste and personal preference. I have rouge cassaque and think of it as neutral.

Last edited:
I would love to find rouge h in box, (though I may have been brainwashed by hanging around here too long now :biggrin:..) in my wardrobe it would be a good neutral and I would wear it autumn/winter not summer. ThAts my own rule I don't like black in the summer either, just personal preference.

I wear jeans and tees a lot. Verrry casual 99% of the time. Should be no problem to match it up I'd think.
When in the US, I wear jeans, a t-shirt, and a scarf probably 5 days out of 7 when it's not blisteringly hot or what Californians consider the "dead of winter" (under 55 degrees). I think the bag you're talking about will work with that in almost any combination. The only colour families I would not wear RH with would be baby pastels (powder pink, baby blue) and burnt oranges/siennas (unless a very brown RH).
In Clemence you should get a nice dark red with this colour. I have been chasing an Evelyne in RH Clemence.