Tech Has anyone switched from a Macbook Pro to a retina Macbook Pro?

jaded

<3
O.G.
Apr 9, 2006
Do you find the difference in weight to be significant when carrying the laptop in a purse/tote?

I'm considering going from a 13" MBP (2011) to a 13" rMBP (4.5 lbs to 3.46lbs)

I'm wondering how great the weight difference feels when carried in a purse.

TIA!

I didn't switch (as didn't own a Mac pro beforehand) however currently have the 13" pro retina and I love it.

The display on the screen is fantastic, its nice and fast (thank you SSD hard drive!) and I don't think it's too heavy at all.

I didn't switch (as didn't own a Mac pro beforehand) however currently have the 13" pro retina and I love it.

The display on the screen is fantastic, its nice and fast (thank you SSD hard drive!) and I don't think it's too heavy at all.

Thank you! Do you carry yours around frequently? What kind of bag do you usually use?

Thank you! Do you carry yours around frequently? What kind of bag do you usually use?

I have taken it to work occasionally, but not often, and when I do I usually carry it (in a cover) in my arm.

I have taken it abroad with me (to use on plane etc) and I put it in my Gucci tote (about the same size as a LV Neverfull MM) and it seemed fine. I am flying back to UK this Sunday and will be using my LV nevefull to take it, as well as other hand luggage.

I regularly take my work laptop home, so I may just be used to always having the extra weight all the time and not really notice otherwise. I have no upper body strength at all (I had to ask my BF to open bottles etc for me!) and I don't mind carrying Macbook around :smile:.

Hope the above helps!

I have taken it to work occasionally, but not often, and when I do I usually carry it (in a cover) in my arm.

I have taken it abroad with me (to use on plane etc) and I put it in my Gucci tote (about the same size as a LV Neverfull MM) and it seemed fine. I am flying back to UK this Sunday and will be using my LV nevefull to take it, as well as other hand luggage.

I regularly take my work laptop home, so I may just be used to always having the extra weight all the time and not really notice otherwise. I have no upper body strength at all (I had to ask my BF to open bottles etc for me!) and I don't mind carrying Macbook around :smile:.

Hope the above helps!

This helps a ton! Thank you so much! Have a safe flight back to the UK :smile: thanks again!

Went from 2009 MB Pro 15" to late 2013 MB Pro 13".

Huge difference. I never wanted to take my computer with me to travel, now it's so easy.

I was contemplating getting that (from a MacBook Pro 13" 2011) before I decided on the MacBook Air. When trialling, it was such a difference in weight but my friend who made the same switch said it's so much lighter to carry.

In saying that, my MacBook Air is a breeze to carry around :P

Thanks all! I ended up making the switch! Switched from my 2011 MBP (non-retina) to a retina MBP. The difference in weight is noticeable. And the battery life is fantastic!

I had the first gen 15' Macbook Pro, then switched to the unibody Macbook Pro back in 2009 and finally changed to the 15' Retina Macbook Pro at the end of 2012 and the change is extraordinary! The screen is so clear and once you go to a Retina machine, you could not go back!

Although my one is the 15' the weight of the computer is significantly different from the first gen MBP to the unibody one. But there are some downsides to the excellent design. I spilt lemonade over the trackpad and I survived by getting a Magic Mouse, with water damage, but then a few months later I accidentally spilt coffee over my keyboard (around the N, M, etc. keys so near the arrow keys and then the whole keyboard didn't work! So I took it to the Apple store to get it fixed. I ended up having to replace the whole top case (so the keyboard and also the trackpad). Thankfully I didnt have to replace the logic board, or else I would get a new computer.. Moral of the story, don't drink anything near it as the costs of fixing it are REALLY EXPENSIVE!!

Oh and also when you do purchase your Retina, make sure you upgrade the things that you think you need a few years down the track as you cannot upgrade it later on as everything is soldered onto the logic board when you purchase it.

I hope you get it as the Retinas are the best computers ever!!!