Unlucky jewelry?

Thingofbeauty

Mar 28, 2014
Does anybody believe in/have an unlucky piece of jewelry? I'm normally not superstitious but I have a ring I am now convinced is unlucky. It's an 18kt pearl and and diamond ring that I absolutely love - but things keep going wrong with it. I lost the pearl two or three times, the band broke and scratched me and then I lost a diamond. I originally put it down to bad craftsmanship but had it repaired and looked at by three reputable jewelers who each said it was in top condition when they gave it back and each time something went wrong afterwards. I've stopped wearing it now and I'm thinking of making it into a necklace or something and work out the bad mojo!

I also had a ring from an ex who would show up every time I wore it after we broke up. I ended up throwing it away because he ended up stalking me when we broke up and I was desperate to be rid of him.

Anyway, has anybody had an experience with jewelry that refused to behave, bad things happened when you had it on or you believe was bad luck?

Last edited:
Apparently my father bought me a 9 gem stone right diamond ruby emerald sapphire etc. And I fell soon after.. They are super paranoid and superstitious about stones and they took it off me immediately and have it away instead of attributing it to im 4 year old running around on new wood floors lol.

They are superstitious about blue sapphire, everyone apparently has had life and death situations when wearing one so my family avoids it all together. My birthstone is ruby which is the same chemical
Composition as pink sapphire so I hesitantly chose the ballon bleu and am slightly nervous about the sapphire but we will see.

I wish MY folks had given such great gifts at that age! It's funny how we look at things differently - I have a friend who is convinced her blue sapphire necklace is great good luck. She even lent her aunt when she was immigrating etc so she'd have good luck as well!

Don't get me started! I am extremely superstitious with my jewelry. When my kids were in sports, and we're talking all the way up to college D1, if I wore something and they started losing off it went. Then one of my children got seriously ill and a friend started a Pandora bracelet with his birthstone, the tree of life and my other child's birthstone and despite not really liking Pandora I now have a full two tone bracelet. How could I return it?? I do like the bracelet, but the things I could of had that I would of loved!! I know it's foolish but this is one area I am irrational in. So you are not alone.

I heard sapphire would either give you good fortune or bad luck..in india you had to test it for like a week under your pillow before you purchased it...at least thats what i read...

I wish MY folks had given such great gifts at that age! It's funny how we look at things differently - I have a friend who is convinced her blue sapphire necklace is great good luck. She even lent her aunt when she was immigrating etc so she'd have good luck as well!

It definitely was nice while it lasted but I don't have any of it anymore lol, my mother decided my jewelry inheritance and the jewelry given by her parents an sister would be better suited to pay for a nice car she ruined soon after. 😒 but I have two small pieces from my grandfather that are plain and I wear them almost daily.

I have no idea what's with sapphire, sadly it was my favorite stone growing up, I bought a ring once and I was made to return it lol. Since then I've become obsessed with yellow diamonds and hope to have one within the next couple of years.

I heard sapphire would either give you good fortune or bad luck..in india you had to test it for like a week under your pillow before you purchased it...at least thats what i read...

Yup or they keep the smallest speck in tissue and have to keep it on their person to test the bad luck for the stone in general. I think it's longer than a week though

This is amazing! I've never heard of this before. So a jeweler will let you "test" a stone!? Funny thing is, my friend with the sapphire necklace is of Indian descent although it's been several generations since her ancestors left. It's amazing how culture changes. She also has a pair of blue diamond studs she NEVER takes off. She believes they bring her riches. She also continues to wear the engagement ring her first boyfriend gave her at 17 even though he cheated on her. They speak to this day even though he was terrible to her and I suspect she wears the ring as a kind of connection between them.

This is amazing! I've never heard of this before. So a jeweler will let you "test" a stone!? Funny thing is, my friend with the sapphire necklace is of Indian descent although it's been several generations since her ancestors left. It's amazing how culture changes. She also has a pair of blue diamond studs she NEVER takes off. She believes they bring her riches. She also continues to wear the engagement ring her first boyfriend gave her at 17 even though he cheated on her. They speak to this day even though he was terrible to her and I suspect she wears the ring as a kind of connection between them.

The engagement ring thing I've never heard from- it must be her preference bcuz with how superstitious the culture is they would have made her remove it immediately and probably not allow her to wear the stone again depending on the level
Of the superstition. The sapphire ancestor thing is very interesting. I've also never heard of the blue diamond thing so I wonder if that's a personal family ideal.

The blue diamond thing is personal. She got a promotion soon after she got the studs and never really took them off after as she thinks they bring her money. In truth she's a very positive person and doesn't really "see" the bad things that happen in her life or hold grudges. She also has an insane amount of jewelry so maybe she's lost track of any good/bad luck!

She never wears rubies though. She thinks they are bad luck.

My mil is extremely superstitious of not wearing sapphires or any blue stones (Indian thing I guess lol) so she forbade me from getting any lol although I live blue! Any other stone and metal is ok though.

Years ago, I bought an antique diamond eternity band. The day I brought it home, our toaster stopped working. Stones kept falling out of the ring. I got so tired of replacing them, I sold it back to the vendor from whom I bought it.

When I got home, my husband asked what time I had sold it ... I told him. Apparently, that's when the toaster came back to life.

Go figure.