How you carry your self phone says alot about you!

maxter

O.G.
Feb 5, 2006
I found the part about the "desperate rummage" very fitting!

Your Phone Is a Shield
And How You Carry It Has A Lot To Say About You​

JAKARTA -- The only things most of us carry around that we didn't use to are our cellphones. I remember titters from my colleagues when I bought my first one 11 years ago, but now even my most cave-dwelling friends have given in and carry one. That's quite a shift: I can't think of anything since the introduction of the wristwatch more than 100 years ago that became such a required accessory. But it begs a further question: How, exactly, do we carry our cellphones -- and what does that say about us?

Nokia researchers based in China, Japan and Finland have looked at just that. The answer, it turns out, isn't as simple as it sounds, and the conclusions contain some important pointers to our lingering ambivalence about being at the beck and call of others.

First, it's probably no surprise that men carry their cellphones in their front pockets, and more often than not in their right pocket (most people being right-handed). It's about the most accessible place a guy has at his disposal. It's also why you may find an elbow in your face/stomach/groin if a co-passenger answers his phone in a crowded train. My tip to solve the elbow problem: Persuade pant designers to make pockets with openings that face forward rather than backward. Men could then store their phones in the opposite pocket to their dominant hand and reach across their bodies to grab the devices, rather than elbowing other people. Try it: It works. Plus you feel like Clint Eastwood.

This would also help solve another problem for pocket carriers: The team's research suggests that 30% of such people sometimes or always miss incoming calls. This is nothing, however, compared with the problems that women face. Nokia's research concludes that 61% of women carry their mobile phone in a bag, usually a handbag. As a result, half of such people regularly miss an incoming call because, in the words of one of the researchers, Tokyo-based Jan Chipchase, "it is not noticed, or...even if it is noticed the phone cannot be retrieved in time -- because the phone is buried deep in the handbag." Technically speaking, this is called The Desperate Rummage, and I'm sure many of you have done it a few times, in the middle of cinemas, religious services or job interviews, trying frantically to throttle that silly ringtone you installed the previous evening in a moment of high spirits.

Not being a woman, I don't have a glib solution to The Desperate Rummage. As Mr. Chipchase points out in an essay accompanying the research, there's a fundamental contradiction between the preference for the handbag-cellphone-stash and advances in one key aspect of cellphone technology: miniaturization. As new cellphone models get smaller, and drop the external aerial, they get harder to find, partly because they're so small, and partly because they're a similar size and shape to other objects in the bag, such as a mascara box or name-card holder. Obviously one solution is to wear a Bluetooth headset at all times so incoming calls can be heard directly. Women seem averse to this, perhaps for the same reason that they're not flocking to another male preference: the Belt Pouch.

The Belt Pouch allows the mobile phone to be attached to the waist. But it's really quite geeky-looking, and so doesn't seem to have caught on in fashion-conscious cities like Tokyo, where the Nokia research could find no one wearing a belt pouch, or Milan, where only 4% of people did. While 19% of respondents in Beijing had one, the percentage doubled in the more remote Chinese city of Jilin. As Mr. Chipchase puts it, "perhaps this reflects a preference for convenience over elegance" in the sticks.

Women, needless to say, give belt pouches a wide berth: Instead they go for straps. These are usually bands that are threaded through the top of the devices, allowing them to hang around the neck. Variants include dangly pendants that help facilitate tactile discovery during The Desperate Rummage.

Here regional variations are clear: Phone straps are big in North Asia but aren't elsewhere. Seoul seems to have the most straps -- 71% of phone users have one there -- with Tokyo only slightly behind. Compare that with only 11% in Delhi, 9% in Los Angeles and 4% in Kampala. Mr. Chipchase reckons the phone strap is "an immediate, nontechnical and obvious way of projecting oneself and one's values." In other words, for the average South Korean or Japanese, the dangling cellphone is a great way of saying who she is. Presumably your average Indian, Californian or Ugandan has found other ways of conveying the same information. Or perhaps people who wear a phone around their neck simply want to be reached by the people who are calling them.

Which brings me to what I think all this tells us: Most of us still aren't sure we want a device that we will notice every time it summons us. Mr. Chipchase recognizes that some of those missed calls may have been intentional -- because we're in a situation where to answer the phone would be rude, or because we don't recognize the number and don't want some weirdo calling us for a survey on where we stash our cellphone, or simply because we just want a bit of time off. In short, where we stash our cellphone -- pocket, belt, strap or bag -- may say as much about how easily we want to be reached as about our fashion sense or what culture we're from.

As with all technology, we need to remain in control, and if we can't do that directly, we will erect barriers to shield us from it (the shield, in this case, being a chaotic handbag or deep pockets). The consideration for Nokia and others, as they design the next wave of devices, is to give the shield element as much priority as the communication element. Or, as Mr. Chipchase concludes: "We could design a device where incoming communication is impossible to miss -- but should we?"

As new cellphone models get smaller, and drop the external aerial, they get harder to find, partly because they're so small, and partly because they're a similar size and shape to other objects in the bag, such as a mascara box or name-card holder. Obviously one solution is to wear a Bluetooth headset at all times so incoming calls can be heard directly. Women seem averse to this, perhaps for the same reason that they're not flocking to another male preference: the Belt Pouch.

Ok, am I really that out of touch? What exactly is a mascara box?! :Push: Or does the guy really know what he's writing?

Maybe cake mascara is very popular where he is?

I guess I am a modified Desperate Rummager, mine either nestles cozily in the phone pocket of whatever bag I'm using, sometimes I clip it to my front pocket, if the outfit the phone is wearing looks especially fabulous with the outfit I'm wearing.

i have 3 cell phones, in jakarta it's very common for people to have more than 1 cell phones. one is the GSM (which had an expensive call rate, but it was the first one avalaible here) and one CDMA (with local phone rate)

Its inside my bag and I have a black cellphone case. So whenever it does ring (IF I can hear it) I also have to frantically rummage through my things before I can locate my phone.

I keep mine turned off unless I'm making a phone call, so it's a non-issue for me. Once I make my call, I turn it off again. Pity more people don't do that, especially in restaurants....

i have this wonderful feature on my phone that allows it to ALWAYS vibrate, no matter how loud the ring volume is set to, so i miss many fewer calls than i used to - even if it's fallen to the bottom of the bag, i can usually feel a bit of vibration externally.

all of the bags i regularly carry have a cell phone-sized pocket somewhere, so i almost never have to do the desperate rummage. also, if i'm wearing pants or a skirt with pockets on the butt, i slip my phone in there so i can feel it vibrate if it rings. my phone is very thin, so it doesn't bother me to have it in my pocket.

I carry my phone in my purse and I usually try to stick it in a pocket inside the purse so I can easily find it but sometimes that doesn't happen. Then if it rings I often can't find it and it drives me nuts. It's a RAZR phone and I actually think it's too thin. I also don't like holding it or dialing it and have dropped it a few times because it slipped out of my hand.

I have the ear piece thing but it drove me insane trying to get it to work right so I never use it. I actually had to pull off the road to mess with it so it obviously didn't make driving any safer for me.