Black or Brown? Please help me choose.

Sep 18, 2007
I'm really liking this very plain tote Mens Bleecker Leather Small Holdall which I plan to use over the shoulder but just can't decide between the black or brown. Has anyone else seen/tried this in person? Which is more all season and or versatile? Overall thoughts would be appreciated too.
Size is - 7 1/2" strap drop; 14 1/2" (l) x 13 3/4" (h) x 4 3/4" (w).

Pros and Cons about the Black
Black is a classic color, slightly more formal, the leather scratches easily but its easy to hide with shoe polish or other cover paint. Since the inside uses the same black leather, it may be hard to see, but its really not a large bag and my contents are not black. Most of my bags are black and this will be my second black tote/shopper, the other is a Madison Gathered Leather Tote w/gold hardware which is very different.

Pros and Cons about the Brown
Brown with black trim is more casual. But as I've said, this leather scratches easily and the bottom corners are very pointed so its going to show wear and fade faster and matching the exact shade of brown to cover is difficult. This is a rugged type of bag so scratches can add an aged character which may be a positive thing (or is that sales talk?), but stains can be a problem or can spraying a protectant help? Does having 2 colors add more versatility or clash more with different color clothing?

At $498, I think this bag is overpriced for what it is, a tote with no lining, no feet, minimum hardware but I like that asymmetrical look of the tough leather strap that I can easily add more holes for a longer strap drop. I find the strap drop on most Coach totes to be too short when worn with a winter coat and this seemed adjustable enough.
Opinions on the no lining suede interior?
I'll be combining my PCE and a bag return to cut the price to below $200.
Any other similar bags either Coach or not that I might also consider?

Attachments

• Bleecker Small Holdall Black.jpg
    Bleecker Small Holdall Black.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 368
  • Bleecker Small Holdall Brown small.jpg
    Bleecker Small Holdall Brown small.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 367
  • Bleecker Small Holdall Brown interior.jpg
    Bleecker Small Holdall Brown interior.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 371
I'm really liking this very plain tote Mens Bleecker Leather Small Holdall which I plan to use over the shoulder but just can't decide between the black or brown. Has anyone else seen/tried this in person? Which is more all season and or versatile? Overall thoughts would be appreciated too.
Size is - 7 1/2" strap drop; 14 1/2" (l) x 13 3/4" (h) x 4 3/4" (w).

Pros and Cons about the Black
Black is a classic color, slightly more formal, the leather scratches easily but its easy to hide with shoe polish or other cover paint. Since the inside uses the same black leather, it may be hard to see, but its really not a large bag and my contents are not black. Most of my bags are black and this will be my second black tote/shopper, the other is a Madison Gathered Leather Tote w/gold hardware which is very different.

Pros and Cons about the Brown
Brown with black trim is more casual. But as I've said, this leather scratches easily and the bottom corners are very pointed so its going to show wear and fade faster and matching the exact shade of brown to cover is difficult. This is a rugged type of bag so scratches can add an aged character which may be a positive thing (or is that sales talk?), but stains can be a problem or can spraying a protectant help? Does having 2 colors add more versatility or clash more with different color clothing?

At $498, I think this bag is overpriced for what it is, a tote with no lining, no feet, minimum hardware but I like that asymmetrical look of the tough leather strap that I can easily add more holes for a longer strap drop. I find the strap drop on most Coach totes to be too short when worn with a winter coat and this seemed adjustable enough.
Opinions on the no lining suede interior?
I'll be combining my PCE and a bag return to cut the price to below $200.
Any other similar bags either Coach or not that I might also consider?
I've never seen either in person, but based on the pix I prefer the black one. That's my personal taste. I think the black is more feminine and the brown is more masculine looking. They both look like very nice leather bags.

I love the brown so much more! I would never use shoe polish if the leather gets scratched. With this leather, all you need is a good leather conditioner. The brown leather will age beautifully. The suede interior doesn't bother me because I'm used to carrying vintage, but it is harder to keep it pristine over time. If you are concerned, you can use a purse liner.

I think the brown is great . Beautiful leather !
I love totes and use them for everything.
I have saffiano totes that are unlined and it really doesn't bother me at all.

I love the brown so much more! I would never use shoe polish if the leather gets scratched. With this leather, all you need is a good leather conditioner. The brown leather will age beautifully. The suede interior doesn't bother me because I'm used to carrying vintage, but it is harder to keep it pristine over time. If you are concerned, you can use a purse liner.
Thanks whateve, I think my main worry is getting oil-based stains like pen marks on the exterior. Would a conditioner and a cleaner be enough?

It really is personal preference but since you asked, I'd LOVE that bag in the brown. I've seen them both, and tried them on. For me, it's totally the brown.
I'm glad someone else has seen this bag, I did a search in the forum and on google and could find no comments or review.

I typically pick black over brown, but I think that brown bag is gorgeous. The contrasting leathers add a nice detail and it is very rich looking.
Definitely agree about the contrasting leather, its a simple idea but not as commonly found as one might expect. The brown definitely looked nice with blue jeans while the black seemed more for the office.

Both are nice but I like black more.
Thanks, since I generally shop alone, it helps to hear everyone's thoughts.

I think the brown is great . Beautiful leather !
I love totes and use them for everything.
I have saffiano totes that are unlined and it really doesn't bother me at all.
I'd forgotten about those saffianos being unlined too, thanks for the reminder.

I'll probably get one of the 2 this weekend and thanks for all your comments. I'm kind of leaning towards the brown because I only tried the brown one on the last time I was at the store. Hopefully I can try on the black when I go in.

Normally I'd say black but that brown bag is very rich looking. Can't say I'm crazy about the black trim which is odd since I usually love the colorblocking but the brown has it all over the black. It's just a really nice looking leather bag.

Congratulations on whichever you pick. :smile:

I quite like the brown one! That said, imagine all of your outfits. Which one matches more of them? A black one will look nice with many things and you could bring it to work (well, you could with the brown one, also, but I don't know your workplace).