Buying a display model?

When I bought my Tivoli GM the SA put all five she had in stock on the counter for me to look at. Most of them had stains on the handles almost like someone that had heavy lotion on their hands touch them it was the only time I have had this happen. I am not super picky and really don't thoroughly inspect bags but these were large stains and very noticeable. I walked over to the display that I originally had been looking at and it was fine so I took it! Displays are not always bad but sometimes they are, like the time I knocked one off the shelf on accident oops. Let's just say that DA Evora was a little ruined it went vachetta zipper front flat on the floor. That was so embarrassing.

When I bought my Tivoli GM the SA put all five she had in stock on the counter for me to look at. Most of them had stains on the handles almost like someone that had heavy lotion on their hands touch them it was the only time I have had this happen. I am not super picky and really don't thoroughly inspect bags but these were large stains and very noticeable. I walked over to the display that I originally had been looking at and it was fine so I took it! Displays are not always bad but sometimes they are, like the time I knocked one off the shelf on accident oops. Let's just say that DA Evora was a little ruined it went vachetta zipper front flat on the floor. That was so embarrassing.
I've made purchases in the pass and the LV boxes (that the handbag was boxed in) had grease like stains on them. I'm sure some SA's wear heafty lotion, but you'd think they know better (especially on vechetta).

First, hoping you a happy and healty baby.
I wouldn't mind a display, but not with damage like that. That is rediculas for a brand new purchase.
Glad you had them bring you a new one.

Thank you!

What convinced me to exchange was, I'm sure I could get a pre loved with the same wear for at least 3 to 4 hundred dollars less.

Last edited:
If it's the last one instore (and in the whole country) and it's in perfect condition, I'll take it. But otherwise I tend to ask the SA to show me a few of the same. Given that variation can exist between two seemingly identical items, I always like to pick the one where the finer details appeal more to me, eg the one with the nicer canvas, or the one with the smoother zipper.

I would only take the display if it looked to be in great condition. The last time I was in the boutique I was looking at the Pouchette Metis and the buckle was pretty scratched ~ the SA said they had to sell that one before they order another one. If I am paying full price for a bag, I don't expect it to be damaged....

This is a very informative post. Congratulations on the new baby on the way! The SAs in NY always go in the back and bring out a bag boxed up. I would really like to look at the bag beforehand, but I have always carried my boxes home and opened them there. From now on I will thoroughly inspect the bag that I want and then tell them specifically that I would not like a switch-a-roo. I think once they know that you are particular about your bags, and watching carefully, they will give you what you want. The squeaky wheel gets the oil! But that scratched bag needs to be returned! If you expected scratches you could have bought a pre-loved one for a few dollars less!

If it's the last one instore (and in the whole country) and it's in perfect condition, I'll take it. But otherwise I tend to ask the SA to show me a few of the same. Given that variation can exist between two seemingly identical items, I always like to pick the one where the finer details appeal more to me, eg the one with the nicer canvas, or the one with the smoother zipper.

I'll definitely have to keep that in mind with my next purchase.
I get so easily distracted with joy when purchasing my hand bags. I was suppose to look at the look book yesterday too and totally forgot.

I would only take the display if it looked to be in great condition. The last time I was in the boutique I was looking at the Pouchette Metis and the buckle was pretty scratched ~ the SA said they had to sell that one before they order another one. If I am paying full price for a bag, I don't expect it to be damaged....

wow, i can't believe the sa said that. I'm sure it's BS.

My Pochette Metis was heavily finger printed, but after a little polishing cloth it was very shiny so i didn't mind.

This is a very informative post. Congratulations on the new baby on the way! The SAs in NY always go in the back and bring out a bag boxed up. I would really like to look at the bag beforehand, but I have always carried my boxes home and opened them there. From now on I will thoroughly inspect the bag that I want and then tell them specifically that I would not like a switch-a-roo. I think once they know that you are particular about your bags, and watching carefully, they will give you what you want. The squeaky wheel gets the oil! But that scratched bag needs to be returned! If you expected scratches you could have bought a pre-loved one for a few dollars less!

There is so much to learn, almost over whelming ;)
I feel as if i need to make a check list before i bring something home.

MIF- check
Metal hardware - check
alingment - check
smooth zipper - check
etc......