When did Chanel stop using real gold to plate the hardware

Tuymiu

Feb 3, 2013
Hi ladies! I became interested in Chanel bags about a year ago. I was shocked when I first found out the price of the Chanel flaps. I was even more shocked when I learned that the price doubled only in the past few years. I thought that the price of Chanel bags went up so much because of the price increase in gold. At that time, I didn't realize Chanel stop using real gold to plate the hardware on their handbags. I later learned the fact from TPF. I tried researching to find out when Chanel stop using real gold plated hardware but had no luck. Do any of you ladies know?

I purchased a preowned gold plated HW Chanel bag from 2008 about 6 months ago. It was in pristine condition when I got it. I used it for about 20 times and noticed the gold on the zipper pull has already started to fade. Is this normal? Did Chanel stop using real gold by 2008?

I think is around end of 2008 or early 2009. I have two ghw's and both were bought pre-2009. The older one the ghw is still nice but the newer one the hardware somehow is not fading but it turns a little rustic with dark spots. But once I use a gold polish cloth the ghw turns into new again and the dark spots are gone. So maybe try a gold polish cloth with yours?

Oh. I didn't know this fact. It would make sense to stop using real gold to plate the hardware around 2008 b/c that's when the stock market crashed and Lehman went bust.

Now, I'm glad I have so many old Chanels. You would think with the steep price increase every single year they would use real gold. Yikes!

I think is around end of 2008 or early 2009. I have two ghw's and both were bought pre-2009. The older one the ghw is still nice but the newer one the hardware somehow is not fading but it turns a little rustic with dark spots. But once I use a gold polish cloth the ghw turns into new again and the dark spots are gone. So maybe try a gold polish cloth with yours?

The gold on my zipper pull started to fade and you can see the silver underneath. I was afraid to use the gold polish cloth because I'm afraid it'll take more gold off. Maybe I'll just try using it only on the area that's fading. Thank you for your advice!

Oh. I didn't know this fact. It would make sense to stop using real gold to plate the hardware around 2008 b/c that's when the stock market crashed and Lehman went bust.

Now, I'm glad I have so many old Chanels. You would think with the steep price increase every single year they would use real gold. Yikes!

I agree with you.

Interesting. Please I woud like to know if my PST have gold plated hardware. Maybe the zipper pull. How do I know? It was purchased early 2008 . Please Chanel experts here, let me know. Thanks