Do you think the Boy bag is worth the investment?

Boy bag?

• Yes, they are are worth the $

• No, trendy may not retain value or may become dated

Results are only viewable after voting.
I didn't like them to begin with and my DD who's in her late 20's didn't either. She still thinks they are a bit East Village, but I have come to like them, especially as I see them being carried more. She still isn't convinced, but is considering them.

What I don't like are re-issues. They look old and beat up to start with, as if they had been bought at a thrift shop after being worn to death.

No, they are not an investment piece. I'd dare say most bags (other than Birkins or Kellys) do not retain their value.

That being said, I own two Boys bags and LOVE them to bits. :biggrin:

I didn't like them to begin with and my DD who's in her late 20's didn't either. She still thinks they are a bit East Village, but I have come to like them, especially as I see them being carried more. She still isn't convinced, but is considering them.

What I don't like are re-issues. They look old and beat up to start with, as if they had been bought at a thrift shop after being worn to death.

Hey hey hey.. I love my east village neighborhood!

I actually don't think chanel is a good "investment" especially now (a few years ago maybe), in the sense that you'll be able to resell your used bag later on and not have a loss. Almost all consignments take a fairly hefty chunk of the price as payment so unless you have a very popular color and/or plan to sell it yourself on ebay, I don't think you'll make a profit.

Having said that, if you meant "investment" in the sense that you're worried about prices rising later on and not being able to afford it, then that might be the case.

My advice is only buy is if you love the boy bag, as you'll get utility from using the bag. But if you're buying in the hopes of getting a monetary payoff in the future from resale, then I think there are lots of better things to invest in.

Chanel bags should be bought to enjoy, not as an investment to acquire with the only idea in mind to resell at a profit. There are indeed much better ways to invest your money. If you get 5 years enjoyment from the boy bag, or 10 years of enjoyment, is that a wise investment of your money? Only you can say.

The prices for boys have gone up so much since its release. That being said, somehow the price in 2014 S/S for new medium is $4100 v.s. $4200 in Cruise. So from this perspective, it makes sense to get it now v.s. later.

But if you check the resell values, none of Chanel bags make sense. You will always take a big hit when you sell. This is what I learned after checking with some of the resell threads.

Nothing in Chanel is worth to invest. Only Hermes Birkin, Kelly, Constance are the ones that are selling higher than retail prices in the resellers' markets.

Why? Because Chanel can be easily bought from Europe at a much lower price + vat refund. It is a known fact. Who wants to buy a marked up Chanel when I can use the excess $ to fly me to Paris and get it personally at Rue Cambon.

I don't understand what people mean by investment. But the boy bag has been around for at least 3 years and doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. IMO, it will still look chic 5 years from now since the shape is simple and it has classic features.

Hm, no, I don't think so! They are cute but it seems to me they are "trendy" thing that comes and goes. In another words no one will really want it 15 years from now.

I have 4 Boy bags and love them! I have acquired styles that I can see using for years to come, but it all depends on your personal style. They do sell fast in the stores and I have seen some on ebay listed for retail or even above retail. That being said, I have no idea how popular they will be in a few years and I have found recently that selling Chanel and other luxury goods is a challenge. You can't really look at it as an investment. You just have to consider whether you can seeing using it a lot and, if so, whether the price is worth it to you. I look at it as cost per wear. If I know I will get a lot of use out of an expensive item, it is worth it. If it will sit in my closet most of the year, it is not worth it. HTH!

Hey hey hey.. I love my east village neighborhood!

The East Village is indeed great, I agree!

My DD means the bags are a bit trendy for her, with their heavy looking chains. She's not sure people will still be carrying them in a few years, and at their prices, that is a consideration. She likes the fact that the Boy is structured as many good bags seem to be going in that direction. I'm ready to help her get one, but she's not ready to make that decision.