Workplace Changing Jobs

Stokes

Apr 2, 2013
I have been at my current job for a year and 3 months (a teller), and have become very close with a few of my co-workers. I am part time and receive no benefits. We are union and I am next in line for full time but that could 2-3 years before something opens up, and even then I've heard horror stories that people with lower seniority can still take the position. My hours fluctuate wildly and I could have 10-15 hours a week one month and 40 hours the next month depending on what branch I work at. Sometimes I have to drive 50 minutes to work at a branch to cover lunches for 2.5 hours then drive home. My job is very stressful- constantly being yelled at/cussed out/treated terrible by customers because they've overdrawn their account or they can't have their way, we get the brunt of it even if it's not our fault. Outside of the few co-workers I've become close to, it can be VERY very catty. I am not that type of person. I try to be nice and get along with everyone. Some days I have panic attacks and have to go to compose myself in the bathroom because people can get so down right rude, and I've cried on a few occasions I've been so over whelmed. I guess I should also add I can be a very shy and soft spoken person, and I sometimes let things get to me a little too much. I already am a very anxious person and have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder due to the amount of times it happens to me..but due to no health insurance I cannot go get help anymore. We were on my husband's insurance but he switched jobs to go work for the family small business that does not offer anything currently.

Recently I've been offered a interview at our local hospital for a position as a secretary/transcriptionist in a very relaxed environment. As of right now, I am the only one they are interviewing- my friend's mom works in the department as well as my sister in law formerly worked there (she was promoted to another department) and I basically have the job, the interview is just a formality. This position is also part time, but it offers great benefits, steady hours, I know most of the people that work there and they are genuinely nice, and this position will become full time quickly. I am also in school for Executive Office Administration, so this opportunity has me very hopeful.

For some reason though, I cannot get this guilty feeling to go away about leaving my current job. I am not happy, and the negatives out number the positives. I think part of it is that I am afraid to lose the closeness of the co-workers I have made friends with, as silly as that sounds. I know this new job (if I really do get it) will be better for my mental health in the long run. My husband and I have been without health benefits for over a year now, so this is very big for us, and I will finally be able to get my thyroid tested to see if it is the cause of my severe anxiety. I guess I also feel guilty leaving this job so soon. I worked for my last employer over 6 years before I decided I needed to move on.

Can anyone give me advice on how to get over this guilt or if you were/have been in a similar situation? I know the answer is pretty clear cut on what I need to do, but why do I feel so guilty?

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you! I have been at my job for almost 6 years and I feel it's time for me to move along. I work at at a law office and it can be stressful. I'm slowly looking to see if there is something else out there for me because I have no room to grow at the position, I've also been caused out by clients, etc. I will feel bad if I leave because this is a small office and I have a relationship with my co workers but I know nothing will change and I can't have another mini breakdown because of the stress of the job. I would say take the job, get the benefits.

I'm in the same boat as you! I have been at my job for almost 6 years and I feel it's time for me to move along. I work at at a law office and it can be stressful. I'm slowly looking to see if there is something else out there for me because I have no room to grow at the position, I've also been caused out by clients, etc. I will feel bad if I leave because this is a small office and I have a relationship with my co workers but I know nothing will change and I can't have another mini breakdown because of the stress of the job. I would say take the job, get the benefits.

Thank you! It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one feeling like this :smile:

I agree with Sinarta. The bottom line is this: You have to do what is right for you. Trust me when I say that most companies will easily let someone go if it helps with their bottom line. If your coworkers are your friends, then they will understand the situation that you are in, and they will support you all the way. If not, then that's a (poor) reflection on them.

I feel the same! I think for me it's just my nature to feel like I'm obligated to stay and have a hard time saying no or saying that I need to move on to things that match what I studied in school. I'm interviewing tomorrow afternoon for a full time bank teller position that pays well and has benefits. My ultimate goal is financial advising, and I have been told it's much easier to move up from within the bank than to apply for a higher up job as an outsider. I currently work part time so obviously making way less money than a full time position would offer me, and I don't have benefits, so while I know this new job would be much better financially for me, it's still hard for me to leave my current job since I like who I work for and have become attached to it in some sense.

OP, best of luck

I was in somewhat similar boat, except i loved my coworkers, and while I made decent money, there were no benefits and I knew it was a place I did not want to advance in

My own regret was I didn't move out of there faster because I let the comfort as well as friendships make me stay longer

You need to take care of you

You need to take care of you

Best advice!

And, remember, the people you are calling your friends at work are probably not your real, true friends. They are more likely friendly acquaintances, not long term friends. You do not owe them any allegiance. You do owe it to yourself and to your husband. Do what is best for you.

OP, congratulations on your new job! Sounds like a great option for you and your husband!

Something I learned early in my career is always look out for # 1. You need to do what you need to do in order to be happy/take the next career step/control your commute/increase your salary, benefits, career path, etc.

It feels sad leaving a job but it's a part of the work world, and your employer and co-workers will get it. People move on, new people are hired, etc. Just think - your replacement is out there looking for his/her *perfect* job and once you leave for yours, that person will find his/hers.

And with social media, texting, etc. it's easy to keep in touch with people you like, no matter where everyone works.

Good luck!

Thank you so much everyone for the advice! You all have made me feel so much better! I had my interview and everyone was so friendly and welcoming, and it just felt right! :smile:

Congratulations.

I was in the same position and situation and my last day was so hard. But in the end, I knew I had to go. There are times in your life when you just have to know when to walk away - when it is right (or better) for you.