Got an apartment in NYC but also lost of questions (for NYC ladies).

Bee...Bee

Dizziness to myself
Mar 16, 2006
I’m happy and unhappy to say that today the last bit of the money was transferred from my account to buy an apartment on Central Park West/89th Street intersection. I am now officially BROKE :sweatdrop:. This time it is extremely serious but at least I have somewhere to stick my head in in New York, LOL.

Anyway, back to the story, I am really looking forward to moving in at the end of this year or next (have to have a baby first :upsidedown: and after they will allow me on a plane) but it would be great if you can give answers to my musings about living in New York. Essentially, they are all about settling down for the first time:

1) What extras do New York people have (such as which sport club membership, where does one go for beauty treatment and all the vain stuff, LOL)?

2) What is this thing about the place being a cooperative? The managing agent, the directors of the cooperative whom we met, our property lawyer and our estate agent assured me there is no serious trick behind it but I am holding a bit of scepticism. So it would be great if you can tell me the worst case scenario associated with a cooperative building because to be honest, the process of acquiring it was a bit fussy with these unnecessary crossholding structures and the proprietary lease instead of outright freehold.

Despite all the weird and wonderful agreements in place, I am thinking that a cooperative building is like a company so they can vote (i.e. kick) me out of the building! This question is the most important and it would be great if you can clarify because this concept of cooperative (and condominium) is very American and both my house in London and apartment in Paris are freehold.

3) Who are the best interior designers in New York? I would do it myself if I am familiar with where to get things but it is too challenging for my airy head :sweatdrop: so I will probably have to plonk money for this one-off cost. The only one that I know of through Architectural Review (and has contacted her office) is Barbara Barry but she is in Los Angeles. It is possible to have her but it would be great if you can tell me other really good people: the apartment as it is now is great but I want a ‘real’ cream Park Avenue Princess style like Charlotte York's in Sex and the City :P.

4) What do unemployed people with a baby do all day in New York, LOL?

5) Oh yes, one last question I promise. Please tell me straight whether I bought into the right location or not. I am a bit confused because New York is not as clear cut as London or Paris where you know immediately which bit is good and bad. May be it is because the streets stretch from the top to bottom and left to right of Manhattan. I am wondering slightly whether we made the right choice because we had to option to go to Park Avenue but in the end my husband chose this one because it has the reservoir view and further on to the Guggenheim and to a lesser extent the Metropolitan but then obviously the cliché is Park Avenue Princess. So I would really appreciate it if you can tell me did I go to the wrong side of the park? Or even did I go to the right square mile because my American friends whom I used to work with says you want the ones further down south in the 60s and 70s rather than 89th? You can criticise as much as you want!

Hi BeeBee, as much as I would love to be your interior designer I am no help in this post but I 'm glad to hear what you're up to, it sounds so exciting !!!
and congrats again with the baby, and the moving !
and I'm sure the ladies and gents here will be helpful with these precious infos.....
-side note : I was not asked for any cigarette last time in Paris ! lol-

Congratulations, Bee! :yes:

I wondered how you were doing with your move to NYC and I'm glad to know everything is falling into place. The area sounds great to me, but then again, I'm new to the city, too. Those are great questions and I'm excited to read the replies!

Good to hear from you, Bee!:yes:

The easiest way to describe a Co-op is that you are a shareholder. Everyone in your Co-op building has a say about what goes on within the other apartments. Kind of like a stock holder. A Condo is more like owning a house, it's yours. You can do what you please basically, i.e... you can't really get kicked out if you are having to many parties or if your neighbors don't like you for example. A co-op board can be quite strict depending on where you are moving. I know a lot do background checks like criminal checks, personal references, etc. With a Condo, you basically buy like you are buying a house and you don't need a board's approval to move in. I hope that makes sense.

As far as the other questions. Does your building have a gym on premises? If not, there is Equinox, Ballys, NY Sportsclub, etc. As far as a Spa, there are tons in Manhattan. It is trial and error until you find a place you love. I actually go down to chinatown since I found it is a quarter of the price of any place in midtown and I get better results.

I think you are in a good area that is right by the park. it sounds like you have a great view of the park.

St. Urban by any chance? I'm usually not a big fan of beaux arts, but I love that building!

;) That pseudo-French, pretentious looking building with the green copper roof just ideal for a pretentious person like me, LOL

@Hubba Wubba: thanks for all the suggestions so far. So that confirms my worry that that I am not allowed to hold a sadomasochistic orgy or I'll be kicked out! But seriously is there any other hidden agenda behind a cooperative that I should know of?

What I meant by sports club (there is a gym but no garage - not that I want a car anyway) is the open air general sports club go and play things like tennis or squash. For example, if you are in London, you want to be a member of Queen's Raquets Club which is the place holding the ATP tournament before Wimbledon.

@mellecyn: Last time I went to Paris (in early March), I still cannot bear the students in their supposed cool ragged look and their aviator sunglasses (even though it was murky) offering their crotch to me in the 5e and 6e, LOL.

I'm afraid I am still in the Paris hate club though I must be a hypocrite because I am still keeping my [SIZE=-1]Avenue Kléber place rather than selling it which would make me not as broke!

@gr8heart, I still have one hurdle to go (getting a visa) which will be a very interesting process because I am in a weird position. I have somewhere to live but I am unemployed, LOL and I wonder what the guy in the US embassy would say.

There was a very interesting situation with my former boss who was in a similar position. He was actually American by birth with an American accent but converted to British and he wanted to go back to America (his parents also converted when they moved to Europe) but he was unemployed so they invited him to a 'grilling' session. He told me that the embassy staff were really rude and they told him to come back for another interview so the next time, he came with a metal case full of $$$ and slapped it on the table and told them this is my reference, LOL.
[/SIZE]

We own a co-op apartment in Brooklyn-nothing funny about it-LOL! There are tons of co-ops and condos all over. With a co-op, you technically own shares in the building. There is a co-op board and they meet to make decisions on the building. I live in a small building, so, everyone here is on the co-op board.

As for roaches-I have lived in my present apartment for 20 years and have never, ever had a roach problem (or, any other insects).

Welcome to NY!

^^Nishi & others who know something about co-ops..in a freehold you have the right to sell to anyone you want, and also let anyone you want inherit upon your death. What happens in coop situations?

I grew up on 72nd and CPW across from the Dakota....it was cool seeing John and Yoko a lot. Now when I visit NY I only go to the Westside for Zabars, Time Warner and the Museum/planetarium....

[SIZE=-1]There was a very interesting situation with my former boss who was in a similar position. He was actually American by birth with an American accent but converted to British and he wanted to go back to America (his parents also converted when they moved to Europe) but he was unemployed so they invited him to a 'grilling' session. He told me that the embassy staff were really rude and they told him to come back for another interview so the next time, he came with a metal case full of $$$ and slapped it on the table and told them this is my reference, LOL.[/SIZE]

You shouldn't have that problem of them being rude to you. Giving up your American citizenship & then asking for it back is viewed as not such a great thing to do in U.S. immigration. Sort of, "If you hated it here so much that you decided to leave for good, then why the hell are you coming back?" attitude.

^^Nishi & others who know something about co-ops..in a freehold you have the right to sell to anyone you want, and also let anyone you want inherit upon your death. What happens in coop situations?

In a co-op, the co-op board has the right to approve or NOT approve anyone buying into the building. So-if you wanted to sell your apartment, and youa ccepted an offer, the person who made the offer must meet with the co-op board first before actually going through with the purchase. if the co-op board ok's them-then you are good to go. if they don't, then you have to look for another buyer.

Again, we are a small co-op-but, we usually meet with the prospective buyer and speak with them to get to know their character and their intentions on use of the apartment. We also look over pay stubs, tax forms, old rent receipts/checks, and various other financial info. We want to make sure that they will be able to pay their maintenance. We also ask for letters of reference from people they work with and their old landlord or neighbors to see what sort of neighbors they will be (will they throw wild screaming parties all the time, will they throw garbage on the floor of the building, etc.).

not quite sure about ineritance issues on co-ops-I mean, I don't know if a co-op board has the right to say yay or nay on who gets left your apartment in the event of yoru death.

well i live in the 60s on the west side and i agree that the lower areas are slightly better- 60s to low 80s. 89th and park ave south is probably gorgeous though.

i think hubba wubba explained the co-op thing perfectly- OOPS AND NISHI. basically you have rules of the building and if you don't follow them you can be brought before the board. you do not own your apt but shares in the bldg. it can be great since you're not responsible for repairs etc yourself as in a freehold house but on the other hand they have the right to reject future buyers of your apt etc (happened to me on my last apt and not fun- wasted about 6 months).

the most popular gym in the neighborhood is actually reebok. it's 67th and columbus. where jerry seinfeld works out etc. but there are plenty of good gyms closer to you like ny sports club and equinox i think.

spas- as someone says that depends on what you like. is bliss still popular?

i don't know who the hot designers are but i do know some designers and artitects and people who do kitchesna and baths etc. when it gets closer you can always email me.

omg across from the dakota? one of my friends lived in the building next door and i'm about 4 blocks from there. i have ALWAYS wanted to go in the dakota. i'm such a nyer. LOL

^^You are responsbile to repairs to your own apartment-you are just not responsible to repairs to the building. That is what your maintenance goes for. But, if my toilet inside my part breaks-I have to pay for it.

true. but one of the people in my building will do it as long as i give them a little something and pay for the material. sorry. you're correct.