Reissue Flap Leather Question

I'm not sure if this will help. I have a reissue WOC and a small reissue flap. They are about a year apart in age and there is a big difference in the puffiness of the leather. My flap is far more puffy. I'm not sure if it is the same between different years of flaps. As far as the distressed look, I passed on the first WOC offered to me and waited for a second to arrive. The first had some unfortunate distressing that made the front look really creased and wrinkled, almost bent. It just looked more used and old rather than edgy. Perhaps more knowledgable tpf-ers know if the quality/look of the reissue changes from year to year like the caviar.

I used to own the original reissue 226 in grey when it was first released in 2005. Back then the leather was quite distressed in all available colors (black, grey, white). I think since then they release many other colors and leather variation each season and I guess depending on the season the leather may be more or less distressed.

I just really miss that grey color on the distressed leather...and the old price...my 226 was ONLY $1995 plus tax!!!

I'm so glad I still have and use mine, but wish I'd bought the black back then instead of recently; paying $4900 + tax really hurts when you paid $1995 + tax originally.

Is there any variation to the leather?

Some pics on TPF look more distressed and flat and then the ones I saw at the boutique are less distressed and more puffy.

I just looked at mine from 2005 and the two I just bought, and I have to say they all look pretty much equally puffy and distressed.

I was looking at reissues in the boutique on Saturday and noticed how different each individual piece was.
I think it really depends on the the item in front of you, just like with caviar, and what appeals to you and doesn't.
There were a couple of Large black with 165/169 serial numbers which were smoother than 18 numbers.
One of the 16 ones was noticeably heavier and thicker than the 18 one so much so that my SA couldn't believe the difference between the two.
The flap was stiff, whereas the 18 one was quite soft when you lifted the side of it.
Ultimately I think you have to keep looking until you find one that appeals to you.
Good excuse to keep browsing in Chanel:graucho:

leather is a natural product. it is normal for it to vary. i personally like the more distressed look. i came across a made in italy reissue which leather was less distressed and not so black and then a made in france one which leather was distressed and the color was oh so black. i am referring to my own reissue here. i first had the made in italy one. i loved it but it had a quality defect and my boutique took it and gave me a new made in france one (without me even demanding for a return/exchange!). i am not sure if production location makes a difference. i think it's cool that the leather varies actually since we can get to choose and go for what we prefer which makes our bags unique to us.

leather is a natural product. it is normal for it to vary. i personally like the more distressed look. i came across a made in italy reissue which leather was less distressed and not so black and then a made in france one which leather was distressed and the color was oh so black. i am referring to my own reissue here. i first had the made in italy one. i loved it but it had a quality defect and my boutique took it and gave me a new made in france one (without me even demanding for a return/exchange!). i am not sure if production location makes a difference. i think it's cool that the leather varies actually since we can get to choose and go for what we prefer which makes our bags unique to us.

Can you share a picture?

Can you share a picture?

i have no pictures from my made in italy reissue coz my boutique took it back. i was not expecting them to do that since i was not in for a return or exchange. i wanted to look at new bags and just ask if the bubble at the side of my reissue was characteristic of the leather. sure, i can take pics of my made in france reissue if that would help. will post as soon as i can.

p.s.: wait...i do have a pic of the made in italy reissue but only the front of the bag. i did a reveal "reveal - feeling close to coco". it is not a close up though. i will take pics of the new one tomorrow.

Last edited:
I thought reissues were always flat, except for this season's caviar reissue which is a little puffy, which those I've seen are still less puffy than the classic CC flaps.

Off topic, what season is the flap in your avatar? That grey is just divine!!

I used to own the original reissue 226 in grey when it was first released in 2005. Back then the leather was quite distressed in all available colors (black, grey, white). I think since then they release many other colors and leather variation each season and I guess depending on the season the leather may be more or less distressed.
I have the original one too, I never sold mine… and I love that distressed, flat leather!