Please help! Gucci says my bag is FAKE!

Nov 14, 2007
My sister handed me down a Gucci horsebit leather bag a few months ago. It is missing a screw at the top of the bag and the inside zipper is broken so I went to a store and they sent it out for repair. The reps at the Gucci store even fell in love with my bag. After two months, I call Gucci after not hearing back and I was just told that the repair team determined that my bag is "non-gucci." I'm 1000% sure that this bag was bought from Gucci. My sister gave it to herself as a gift when she graduated Harvard law school and it was A LOT of money! She doesn't have the receipt because the bag is super old now but it's in mint condition (except for the missing screw and broken zipper). What should I do? I was in shock when I heard this? Has anyone experienced this? I am sooo upset that I want to cry. :sad:

This is the bag:

I doubt Gucci would claim that this bag is fake without being sure, since if they made a mistake, then it would mean that they can't tell the difference between their merchandise and fakes.

If your sister did indeed purchase this from Gucci, then maybe someone returned a fake to Gucci through a bait-and-switch scheme, and your sister ended up buying the fake that was returned. Since you don't have the receipt, then it's difficult to make a case with Gucci about this if this were in fact true.

It would probably feel weird to use the bag now knowing that Gucci said that it's fake.

I doubt Gucci would claim that this bag is fake without being sure, since if they made a mistake, then it would mean that they can't tell the difference between their merchandise and fakes.

If your sister did indeed purchase this from Gucci, then maybe someone returned a fake to Gucci through a bait-and-switch scheme, and your sister ended up buying the fake that was returned. Since you don't have the receipt, then it's difficult to make a case with Gucci about this if this were in fact true.

It would probably feel weird to use the bag now knowing that Gucci said that it's fake.
Exactly my thought also. To be 100% sure, I would go to several Gucci stores to hear what they have to say.

I'm sure they wouldn't say it was fake unless it was. Is there a possibility your sister doesn't want to admit where she bought it now that she's more successful? I hate to even ask that, but she might have bought it on the secondary market and thought it was definitely real. It can happen to the best of us.

If the repair centre determined that your horsebit bag is a fake then unfortunately it's a fake. They won't repair it. Were you with your sister when she purchased the bag? If not then it might not actually be from the Gucci store. Or it could be a bait and switch but that's pretty rare inside the actual boutique - this usually occurs online store that's not affiliated with Gucci (like Bluefly) or in department stores.

So is the case that they are not returning your bag now? Because some big brands store did that. If they know it's fake they are going to hold it.

I hope you can resolve it and please let us know how it goes

Firstly I would confirm the exact truth of the bag's origin. If it was truly purchased in store,I would research on the net to find all the details of the bag, pics of real ones etc and try to self authenticate. If you end up thinking a bait and switch happened...then you may wish to take your situation further up the chain at Gucci.

My sister handed me down a Gucci horsebit leather bag a few months ago. It is missing a screw at the top of the bag and the inside zipper is broken so I went to a store and they sent it out for repair. The reps at the Gucci store even fell in love with my bag. After two months, I call Gucci after not hearing back and I was just told that the repair team determined that my bag is "non-gucci." I'm 1000% sure that this bag was bought from Gucci. My sister gave it to herself as a gift when she graduated Harvard law school and it was A LOT of money! She doesn't have the receipt because the bag is super old now but it's in mint condition (except for the missing screw and broken zipper). What should I do? I was in shock when I heard this? Has anyone experienced this? I am sooo upset that I want to cry. :sad:

This is the bag:

How awful - I'm so sorry - I would try castira just to see what she says.

Does your sister have the credit card record? Maybe it be traced that way?

Good Luck!!

Most stores have client profile with purchase histories. All my SA at different boutiques and department stores have my sizes and style/designer preference. They have a list of everything I bought, so I usually don't worry about keeping up with receipts.

i doubt gucci would claim that this bag is fake without being sure, since if they made a mistake, then it would mean that they can't tell the difference between their merchandise and fakes.

If your sister did indeed purchase this from gucci, then maybe someone returned a fake to gucci through a bait-and-switch scheme, and your sister ended up buying the fake that was returned. Since you don't have the receipt, then it's difficult to make a case with gucci about this if this were in fact true.

It would probably feel weird to use the bag now knowing that gucci said that it's fake.

ITA - the horrid bait and switch ! It's happening in the stores and on *bay !