Moms, How Often Do You Use Your Chanels with the Tots?

Emily1830

O.G.
Jul 26, 2013
Hi ladies,

I have not been able to stop thinking about the beautiful black 226 reissue with gold hardware. The problem is I already have a jumbo and barely get a chance to use it. (I find it's too boxy and heavy for outings with my toddler.) I was wondering how often the moms on this forum use their reissues with their tots in tow--do you find it practical and versatile? I'm worried that it'll be kept in the box like her sister the jumbo. I'm imagining using it crossbody but am worried it's too dressy or impractical for my busy lifestyle. I really need to justify buying it since it's so expensive. Any advice here would help! Thanks.

I'm sorry to say - Chanel classic and reissues are not that practical when my little one was a toddler. I used a tote so I could carry all the wipes, food, bottle of water etc.

I do use my classic jumbo more often now that he is older (4 y.o). But mostly on work days. On weekends I still mostly use totes because of the casual look - unless I am getting dressed up for some reason and don't need to take much with me!

If your heart is set on buying a reissue, I would buy a smaller one so you could use it on evenings out / date nights etc. Then when your little ones are a little older, you will get more use out of them.

Not practical day to day right now, but you will use it at night and long after baby grows.

My baby friendly bags have been a suede seasonal flap, Hermes Evelyne, LV Speedy B, and a WOC. My classics and reissues are for baby free time.

I have only used my 226 reissues since I started having kids 3 years ago. I now have a 3 year old and 14 month old and I love my black calfskin reissue SHW and grey caviar reissue. I think they are the perfect size and hold just enough for going out and about. Plus they are super durable and can withstand being pulled off of high surfaces, dropping to the floor, and being dragged. They still look great! They are easily dressed up or down so I do not have to switch out bags as often because I no longer have the free time to do it. I have many other bags but my reissues are my everyday bags. :smile:

I'm sorry to say - Chanel classic and reissues are not that practical when my little one was a toddler. I used a tote so I could carry all the wipes, food, bottle of water etc.

I do use my classic jumbo more often now that he is older (4 y.o). But mostly on work days. On weekends I still mostly use totes because of the casual look - unless I am getting dressed up for some reason and don't need to take much with me!

If your heart is set on buying a reissue, I would buy a smaller one so you could use it on evenings out / date nights etc. Then when your little ones are a little older, you will get more use out of them.
Thanks Needlv for your input. My problem is I can't wear my Chanels to work (except for wallet and WOC) because my workplace is way too casual and my work bags show a great deal of wear very quickly (I'm hard on my work bags). Wish I could wear my Chanel bags to work.

Not practical day to day right now, but you will use it at night and long after baby grows.

My baby friendly bags have been a suede seasonal flap, Hermes Evelyne, LV Speedy B, and a WOC. My classics and reissues are for baby free time.
Thanks lafemmenikita! I have been seeing a lot of moms here in NYC with the Evelyne--do you think it's a good buy?

I have only used my 226 reissues since I started having kids 3 years ago. I now have a 3 year old and 14 month old and I love my black calfskin reissue SHW and grey caviar reissue. I think they are the perfect size and hold just enough for going out and about. Plus they are super durable and can withstand being pulled off of high surfaces, dropping to the floor, and being dragged. They still look great! They are easily dressed up or down so I do not have to switch out bags as often because I no longer have the free time to do it. I have many other bags but my reissues are my everyday bags. :smile:
Thanks ChaneLisette! I am encouraged to hear that you wear them so often. Do you wear them crossbody? Do you ever feel self-conscious wearing them with the kiddos?

With DD, I usually go with WOC when she was younger and now, some seasonal flap like Shiva or Country chic that can be worn crossbody. I find that my single flap jumbo worn crossbody are ok, too. I think I prefer anything light that can be worn crossbody. 226 is too tight and high for me to wear crossbody.

I used my chanel seasonal bags and totes more than my classics when they were babies, but by the time they were three, it was mostly classics as I did not need to carry as much. BTW.. Evelyn an Garden parties are great mom on the go bags as well.

I use my Reissues all the time with my twins who are now 5 years old and have since they were about 3 years old (before that I used WOCs a lot). Reissues are super durable, can be wiped clean with ease, and hold up great with daily wear. This is one of the reasons I love Reissues so much! I don't have to baby them and they still look great! I do not wear them crossbody, though. I find they hit me at an uncomfortable length when worn crossbody. I carry both 226s and 227s regularly.

If you want crossbody, I would recommend a WOC or a seasonal style available for Cruise called "Hamptons." It is bigger than a WOC and can fit more, but is perfect crossbody and made of durable calf. I just bought my second Hamptons in black. I had purchased the ivory last year.

Good luck with your choice!

Thanks ChaneLisette! I am encouraged to hear that you wear them so often. Do you wear them crossbody? Do you ever feel self-conscious wearing them with the kiddos?

I do not wear them crossbody as I think they would be heavy for me. I actually just started wearing my boy bag and my mini crossbody in the last month and I like those bags crossbody because they are light.

I am not sure what you mean my self-conscious but I agree with everything G&Smommy says about reissues. They are great bags and work well with kids.

I use all my Chanel's: boys, reissues, lambskin classic flaps, totes, etc. with my 1 and 4 year olds everyday and they are all fine. I love my Chanel babies too much to let them sit idle in my closet. My 4 year old has been trained to handle mommy's bags with care.

I have two WOCs and one small reissue and I use all of them crossbody constantly with my 17 month old sweetie. More so than my LV tote (neverfull?) because the straps are always falling down. It seems like some women have a problem wearing the reissue crossbody but mine hits perfectly even though I'm 5'8" with a long torso. The only minor issue I have is my toddler loves to play with the pretty chain strap when I'm holding him. And by play I mean yank.

At this point I use almost the WOCs exclusively. My girls are 4 and 20 months. I have also used my boy bag and mini on some occasions. I prefer crossbody wear and my other Chanels don't have this capability (boy sits a tad high for me). When they are older I envision being able to use the flaps more with them in tow. If I need a tote (ie not using the stroller and DH is not coming with us-I make him carry the kids' stuff in his canvas tote) I use my Celine cabas phantom because it is extremely light. I also don't get to use my flaps too much for work-I use them for evenings and days out when I'm not with the kids. I know this means the flaps don't get used everyday, but I'm totally ok with that.