quetsche a good neutral?

paruparo

Live.Laugh.Love.
O.G.
Nov 16, 2009
Hello BV lovers! I've loved seeing all the Ebano pictures on this forum and have wanted something similar to it. But I wear more blacks (hence I own Nero and Tourmaline). I like that Ebano is very dark but I don't like black and be brown together much.

I've only seen Quetsche online and in reveals here and closest BV is 200miles away. Ive seen it describers as plum. Is it a deep enough plum that is almost looks brown like ebano?

I would like to give this color a try since I think it would go with black and brown (right?). And do you ladies think it would go well with other colors (my closet is comprised of mostly red, black, blue, and gray...)

Thanks for any input!

I had a look at quetsche these days. And while the color is not good for me personally as it is a cold tone I would consider it a great neutral!
It def has greyish undertones and imo works year round.

Quetsche is an amazing color. To me it's not really plum because plum has more red in it. Quetsche definitely cool toned, and I see grey, blue-purple and brown in it depending on the light. You know how cats are sometimes described as blue? To me Quetsche is the purple equivalent of that.

I had a look at quetsche these days. And while the color is not good for me personally as it is a cold tone I would consider it a great neutral!
It def has greyish undertones and imo works year round.

Quetsche is an amazing color. To me it's not really plum because plum has more red in it. Quetsche definitely cool toned, and I see grey, blue-purple and brown in it depending on the light. You know how cats are sometimes described as blue? To me Quetsche is the purple equivalent of that.

Thank you for the feedback on the color, both of you mentioned it def has grayish tones to it and that its cool toned. So it is noticeably different from Ebano then? I saw on one of the threads where someone mentioned it kind of looked like Ebano so I assumed its a warmer color...

Can you have both colors consigned to you? Quetsche is definitely NIOT ebano. It's more muted. I personally would have a tough time wearing Quetsche in spring summer as I wear yellow and oranges and brighter colors and it would look funky with those tones.

Can you have both colors consigned to you? Quetsche is definitely NIOT ebano. It's more muted. I personally would have a tough time wearing Quetsche in spring summer as I wear yellow and oranges and brighter colors and it would look funky with those tones.

I originally want Ebano since its a classic color and everytime I see someone reveal it here, I want it more. Im hesitant because I don't know how to work with brown, you know? My go to has always been black (bags, shoes, belts, clothing). I really want something in brown though...

Oh, P.S. I live in Texas where its pretty much HOT/summer like 9-10 months out of the year. I've started thinking my black bags are too harsh and blah for warm weather. I figured brown works better year round...

Am I making sense? lol. Once I decide on a color, then its on to the style lol...

I wear a lot of black too and I LOVE LOVE LOVE brown with black. The warmness of it softens up what can be a harsher look. There was another discussion on brown with black a while back. Let me go dig it up. Hold please.

Not to hijack this thread...but this is a conversation I need to get in on!!

Almost all the bags and shoes I own (excepting LV and my ebano Campana) are black, black, and more black. I purposely bought the Campana in ebano to force myself out of this black hole (pun intended), but I don't feel like it goes with anything! I've fought that feeling and worn it anyway, with some success, but a lot of anxiety.

Can someone explain this whole cool/warm color thing to me?? And how some colors are neutrals and others aren't?? And what goes with what (I know that's broad, but maybe just some generalizations)? I love the idea of buying BV's in colors other than nero/ebano, but it's also a scary thought!

Well, shewt! I can't find it. But one of the BVEttes was commenting how she likes to wear her ebano BV with a black maxi dress and wooden jewelry. There were some other related comments.

Can someone explain this whole cool/warm color thing to me?? And how some colors are neutrals and others aren't?? And what goes with what (I know that's broad, but maybe just some generalizations)? I love the idea of buying BV's in colors other than nero/ebano, but it's also a scary thought!

India, where are you?!!! I'm no expert but here's my two cents:

If a color has a blue undertone it can be considered a cooler color. You'll see this is most blues, some reds, pinks, a lot of purples, some greys, and teal.

If a color has yellow undertones it can be considered a warm color. So this would be almost any brown, orange, burgundy.

And so think about warm and cold weather. Warm? What do you see? A bright yellow sun, a sandy beach, a fire. Now think about cold weather? A foogy day. a cloudy day. the crisp blue of a winter sun.

And so these colors give off these vibes.

Here's a bit more from Wikipedia:
"Warm colors are said to advance or appear more active in a painting, while cool colors tend to recede; used in interior design or fashion, warm colors are said to arouse or stimulate the viewer, while cool colors calm and relax. Most of these effects, to the extent they are real, can be attributed to the higher saturation and lighter value of warm pigments in contrast to cool pigments. Thus, brown is a dark, unsaturated warm color that few people think of as visually active or psychologically arousing."

Since black is neutral you put a grey bag with it or something like Quetsche it's going to promote that cool relaxed look. You put orange or brown with it, it warms or livens it up.

I can wear most cool and warm colors with the exception of oatmeal/camel. I look terrible in it. There's no harmony or contrast with my skin. I prefer stronger colors (yes a bright color and therefore probably warm. But for me, it's a color that is DEFINITELY a color). So I just bought the Brique Cervo. I really like it because it's clearly a brick-red and I wanted something to soften up a weekend look of denim and grey. I'm less inclined to buy Quetsche because I don't really see the color (even though I know there is one).

In terms of something going, it's all about harmony. The right warm accent can warm an otherwise cool look (black with brown) and vice versa. And then a cooler accent can soften a warm look (grey with yellow). At the same time, a warm accent on a warm outfit just pull it all together (think of a great red dress and then adding an orange bag. Yowza! hot hot hot!) and cool on cool looks just dreamy (imagine quetsche with a soft grey sweater).

Look at nature for what works well together.

Last edited:
Grietje, I think you've done a fabulous job of describing cool and warm!

I think I talked about the black maxi/brown bag/wooden jewelry "uniform" I wore this summer in one of our threads. I wear lots and lots of black (and white, apparently. One of my students told me yesterday that she's sure I've worn only black or black and white outfits for every class, which meets twice a week and we're in our 7th week. And I didn't do it on purpose. Yikes.), but when I do wear color I gravitate toward cool brights: cobalt rather than aqua, magenta rather than brick, clear lime or kelly green rather than sage or olive. And despite my love for black, white, and cool colors, I LOVE my Ebano bag.

Ebano just works with everything, especially the black. It softens bright colors without being pastel and adds a casual, funky, "I'm not trying too hard" edge to black. I have an original Ball in both Nero and Ebano, and I reach for the Ebano *at least* twice as often as the Nero despite the fact that I almost never wear brown clothing and almost always wear black clothing. My next bag will likely be an Ebano Maxi Veneta. Ebano just blends. I think Quetsche is a lovely color, but unlike Grietje for me it's a COLOR in a way that Ebano is not.

Hope that's helpful; I guess it's more about ebano than quetsche!

Reactions: jbags07
I'm no expert but here's my two cents

OMG, grietje, thank you...you may not think you're an expert, but you just increased my knowledge by 100%! :biggrin:

I think I probably have a long way to go before I am truly comfortable branching out with colors, but at least now I have the basics. It's funny, I know what I like and what I don't--for example, I was at my local BV boutique last weekend, and I wasn't feeling any of the current colors (with the exception of the cervo hobo in Brique, which was so saturated compared to nappa I thought it wasn't even the same color)....but when I start thinking, "now what would I wear this with?", it all falls apart...and inevitably, I end up buying black :roflmfao:

Here I am! You did very well explaining this.

I look good in royal purple royal blue, deep green, sunshine yellow, pure white, pure black; all warm colors. I look washed out in pastels (cool shade, no matter the color.)

When you see a color, PDJ, and your first thought is 'wow, how vibrant' - you're looking at a warm color. If you think 'oh, how sweet, like Spring and Easter eggs’ - that's cool.

Hope we helped.

India, where are you?!!! I'm no expert but here's my two cents:

If a color has a blue undertone it can be considered a cooler color. You'll see this is most blues, some reds, pinks, a lot of purples, some greys, and teal.

If a color has yellow undertones it can be considered a warm color. So this would be almost any brown, orange, burgundy.

And so think about warm and cold weather. Warm? What do you see? A bright yellow sun, a sandy beach, a fire. Now think about cold weather? A foogy day. a cloudy day. the crisp blue of a winter sun.

And so these colors give off these vibes.

Here's a bit more from Wikipedia:
"Warm colors are said to advance or appear more active in a painting, while cool colors tend to recede; used in interior design or fashion, warm colors are said to arouse or stimulate the viewer, while cool colors calm and relax. Most of these effects, to the extent they are real, can be attributed to the higher saturation and lighter value of warm pigments in contrast to cool pigments. Thus, brown is a dark, unsaturated warm color that few people think of as visually active or psychologically arousing."

Since black is neutral you put a grey bag with it or something like Quetsche it's going to promote that cool relaxed look. You put orange or brown with it, it warms or livens it up.

I can wear most cool and warm colors with the exception of oatmeal/camel. I look terrible in it. There's no harmony or contrast with my skin. I prefer stronger colors (yes a bright color and therefore probably warm. But for me, it's a color that is DEFINITELY a color). So I just bought the Brique Cervo. I really like it because it's clearly a brick-red and I wanted something to soften up a weekend look of denim and grey. I'm less inclined to buy Quetsche because I don't really see the color (even though I know there is one).

In terms of something going, it's all about harmony. The right warm accent can warm an otherwise cool look (black with brown) and vice versa. And then a cooler accent can soften a warm look (grey with yellow). At the same time, a warm accent on a warm outfit just pull it all together (think of a great red dress and then adding an orange bag. Yowza! hot hot hot!) and cool on cool looks just dreamy (imagine quetsche with a soft grey sweater).

Look at nature for what works well together.

I have a Quetsche bag, paruparo, and it a chameleon color. Right now sitting here under incandescent light mixed with natural lighting it looks brown. Sometimes it looks grey and others a dusky greyish purple. This is one of my favorite colors.

I agree with jburgh's description. Quetsche is a greyish purple, which can look brown depending on the lighting. But it's definitely not as bright as the "plum" of last season. I think it's more interesting than Ebano, though.