The Vintage Thread!

Lady Stardust, thank you so much for starting this thread..... my very first Chanel was just purchased 2 years ago for my 44th birthday. It is a 2 series Lambskin Black Mini and still to this day I swoon every single time I take her out or even see a picture of her. My heart was beating so much when I 'clicked to buy her!" I cannot ever think of parting with this beautiful Vintage Chanel. I wonder where she has been and the places she has seen before me, hee!

I hope to add another Vintage that is of a larger size and am researching that now.

I may be sounding a bit sentimental, but to me Vintage has an old soul and is to be cherished. I will post a picture of my Mini when I have a moment. Thank you again for beginning this thread!

Tenshix, your collection is lovely! I love the beige flap! I don't own any beige pieces yet I think that might be my next addition! As for the old bag smell, something else that helps is kitty litter, I put some in an open Ziploc bag and let it sit inside the purse (with the purse closed) for about 2 days and that usually takes away a good amount of the older scent

Lady Stardust, thank you so much for starting this thread..... my very first Chanel was just purchased 2 years ago for my 44th birthday. It is a 2 series Lambskin Black Mini and still to this day I swoon every single time I take her out or even see a picture of her. My heart was beating so much when I 'clicked to buy her!" I cannot ever think of parting with this beautiful Vintage Chanel. I wonder where she has been and the places she has seen before me, hee!

I hope to add another Vintage that is of a larger size and am researching that now.

I may be sounding a bit sentimental, but to me Vintage has an old soul and is to be cherished. I will post a picture of my Mini when I have a moment. Thank you again for beginning this thread!

I feel exactly the same about vintage, they allow your mind to create so many stories! I always wonder where mine came from originally and who was the first to bring them home

A lot of people have vintage Minis it's really interesting! The Mini was my first vintage as well, there's just something about them!

I absolutely love this bag! how much does it hold?

Hi. The dimensions are 10L x 7H x 2.7D

It can fit a long wallet, sunglasses + case, cosmetic pouch and room for keys and phone. All of these fit but the bag looks stuffed. I usually just have my wallet, lipstick, keys, phone and I use a cloth pouch for sunglasses.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1378533538.152274.jpg

I absolutely adore vintage Chanel pieces. I think they're romantic, have a lot of character, and also the leather seems to be more soft & buttery (for lambskin) and durable (especially for caviar!!) than the current ones. I don't like to say this but from looking at vintage pieces and more recent year pieces it seems like leather quality is slipping. :sad: It has a lot to do with the animals/farm they worked with to get the leather and I'm guessing for whatever reason it's not as good as it used to be...

Anyways enough pessimism, lol, I'm actually a very lucky girl since my mom had quite a few vintage pieces that she was willing to part with and hand it down to me.

May I present these lovely ladies....

photo4_zps6083a9c9.jpg

This is the first Chanel bag for me and the first one my mom was willing to let go. The caviar is soo sturdy and shiny still! I forget how old this is exactly but I'm pretty sure it's well over 10-15 years and in really good condition so yeah. Caviar was the way to go since they don't 'deflate' the way lambskin does over a long period of time.

photo2_zpsc486218f.jpg

This is the second bag bestowed upon me. It had some kind of black/pen marks on the left side and I pretty much tried to rub it off with a leather conditioner.. Did not work and I ended up rubbing too hard which is why you see the weird discoloration spot near the area. I was really sad and upset about this but I grew to love the bag over time regardless and I made my own personal 'mark' on it and it's still a lovely bag! The lambskin is also really sturdy and has not deflated or anything, I think my mom got this one in the 90s too. Sorry mom for the weird spottings :sad:

photo1_zps39e3a165.jpg

I love this backpack but I could never figure out the proper outfit or time to wear it.. It's super cute and I wish I was more stylish/hipster (I feel like it suits hipster outfits more?) so I could also wear this more often. It's also because it's a backpack that I have this paranoia that someone will reach into my bag or whatever since it's behind me if I'm not wearing it to the side that I also haven't really worn it. If anyone has advice on what to wear/how to wear this I welcome all comments and tips!! :biggrin:

photo3_zps956e01ae.jpg

Last but not least, my bebeh, my cute little mini. This bag is the very first Chanel I purchased myself from Malleries and I love this little munchkin so much. The bag arrived in great condition and the leather is so, sooo soft. It has deflated some, but for the most part it held up its shape pretty well and I managed to get the old bag smell out of it with Crabtree & Evelyn closet pillows that were just the right size (thanks mom!)! I realize now that the lighting looks a bit weird like there's some discoloration/color fading on the bag but the bag is totally black.

Apologies for the quick/not so high quality phone photos! And also for this rather long post that I didn't mean to write. :blush:

Viva la vintages! :flowers:

Wow... Great collection..

I love the practicality of the tote in cavier

I absolutely adore vintage Chanel pieces. I think they're romantic, have a lot of character, and also the leather seems to be more soft & buttery (for lambskin) and durable (especially for caviar!!) than the current ones. I don't like to say this but from looking at vintage pieces and more recent year pieces it seems like leather quality is slipping. :sad: It has a lot to do with the animals/farm they worked with to get the leather and I'm guessing for whatever reason it's not as good as it used to be...

Anyways enough pessimism, lol, I'm actually a very lucky girl since my mom had quite a few vintage pieces that she was willing to part with and hand it down to me.

May I present these lovely ladies....

photo4_zps6083a9c9.jpg

This is the first Chanel bag for me and the first one my mom was willing to let go. The caviar is soo sturdy and shiny still! I forget how old this is exactly but I'm pretty sure it's well over 10-15 years and in really good condition so yeah. Caviar was the way to go since they don't 'deflate' the way lambskin does over a long period of time.

photo2_zpsc486218f.jpg

This is the second bag bestowed upon me. It had some kind of black/pen marks on the left side and I pretty much tried to rub it off with a leather conditioner.. Did not work and I ended up rubbing too hard which is why you see the weird discoloration spot near the area. I was really sad and upset about this but I grew to love the bag over time regardless and I made my own personal 'mark' on it and it's still a lovely bag! The lambskin is also really sturdy and has not deflated or anything, I think my mom got this one in the 90s too. Sorry mom for the weird spottings :sad:

photo1_zps39e3a165.jpg

I love this backpack but I could never figure out the proper outfit or time to wear it.. It's super cute and I wish I was more stylish/hipster (I feel like it suits hipster outfits more?) so I could also wear this more often. It's also because it's a backpack that I have this paranoia that someone will reach into my bag or whatever since it's behind me if I'm not wearing it to the side that I also haven't really worn it. If anyone has advice on what to wear/how to wear this I welcome all comments and tips!! :biggrin:

photo3_zps956e01ae.jpg

Last but not least, my bebeh, my cute little mini. This bag is the very first Chanel I purchased myself from Malleries and I love this little munchkin so much. The bag arrived in great condition and the leather is so, sooo soft. It has deflated some, but for the most part it held up its shape pretty well and I managed to get the old bag smell out of it with Crabtree & Evelyn closet pillows that were just the right size (thanks mom!)! I realize now that the lighting looks a bit weird like there's some discoloration/color fading on the bag but the bag is totally black.

Apologies for the quick/not so high quality phone photos! And also for this rather long post that I didn't mean to write. :blush:

Viva la vintages! :flowers:
Great collection.

1 series Lambskin wallet. This wallet is testimony to the durability of lambskin. The CCs fell off (and I knew where, but could never find them :crybaby:) but I thrash this wallet. Just has 2 compartments inside. I see them on eBay every now & then for $100-$250.

Attachments

• chane wallet.jpg
    chane wallet.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 1,433
My newest CHANEL - 10 Series. Lambskin, red leather lined inside. It is actually a cosmetic bag (I ask, who would actually put cosmetics in a leather lined CHANEL?) I paid $350 on eBay (I think it was WAY underpriced).

Attachments

• new cosmetic.jpg
    new cosmetic.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,425
  • new back.png
    new back.png
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,404
  • new inside.png
    new inside.png
    296.2 KB · Views: 1,438
It really depends on your style and what you're looking for. If you're looking for something specific I would say new bc vintage hunting can be hit or miss, you have to pick from what's out there while new has more options (different colors available for the same style, etc). It's a tough choice! I really think it would depend on what's available on both ends for me lol

I just saw the new metallic flaps - so gorgeous - like you said "tough choice".

Tenshix -You are SO lucky that your Mom passed along such gorgeous bags! Regarding the backpack, could you carry it with both straps over one shoulder? That would give it more of a purse feel. I used to see people carry them that way a lot.
(Sorry I couldn't use the reply function to directly reply to your post, but I am doing this from my tablet using the tpf app and I kept getting an error)

Last edited:
Great collection.

Thank you dear! I also love the double stitch lambskin, and that wallet definitely shows a lot of history. The cosmetic bag is so cute too :love: I need to be more active in looking for good vintage finds, $350 is definitely a steal!

Tenshix -You are SO lucky that your Mom passed along such gorgeous bags! Regarding the backpack, could you carry it with both straps over one shoulder? That would give it more of a purse feel. I used to see people carry them that way a lot.
(Sorry I couldn't use the reply function to directly reply to your post, but I am doing this from my tablet using the tpf app and I kept getting an error)

I know I'm incredibly blessed that my mom is also a bag lover and is ok with parting with her older babies! Haha. Thanks for the tip! I've tried it that way before too but I just felt a bit awkward, even though that's how people in the 80's/90's would carry them but I don't know if I feel confident enough to pull it off. But when I do... I'll post mod pics :cool: