Dilemma

ilona73

Jan 18, 2013
Hi all.

I'm just thinking out loud here. I have a very special friend and I want to buy her a " special gift" for her birthday. We've been friends for over ten years through thick and thin , good times and bad. I really want to buy her a pochette and bandeau for her birthday in a few weeks time. Thing is she's always admiring my bags etc and I know there's no way she could buy one for herself or even allow herself to buy one if she could. If I buy her one for her birthday do you think it would upset her ? Obviously I don't want to offend her or upset her. I would just like to give her a special gift from me to her that's just completely for her. How would you feel if you know you couldn't afford a LV but a friend gifted you one ?? I'm torn. I really really want her to have what her heart desires xxx all thoughts grateful received. I just don't want her thinking I'm flash or crass x

Hi all.

I'm just thinking out loud here. I have a very special friend and I want to buy her a " special gift" for her birthday. We've been friends for over ten years through thick and thin , good times and bad. I really want to buy her a pochette and bandeau for her birthday in a few weeks time. Thing is she's always admiring my bags etc and I know there's no way she could buy one for herself or even allow herself to buy one if she could. If I buy her one for her birthday do you think it would upset her ? Obviously I don't want to offend her or upset her. I would just like to give her a special gift from me to her that's just completely for her. How would you feel if you know you couldn't afford a LV but a friend gifted you one ?? I'm torn. I really really want her to have what her heart desires xxx all thoughts grateful received. I just don't want her thinking I'm flash or crass x

Wow, you are an awesome friend! Idk why or what kind of friend would be upset or offended by receiving a gift like that, especially if you've been thru everything w/ them and they know your heart and intentions. That's a great combo. I say go for it!! Please reveal when she receives it and how much she loves it. ;)

I don't think something like a pochette is going over board with a gift... It depends though if she would use it. For example, my mom admires my bags left and right, but could never justify spending that much on one. Even when I've surprised her with a B. Makowsky (from TJ Maxx nonetheless, so we're talking about $150 maybe?) she requests I return it because she thinks over $100 for a bag is too much.

You know your friend better than we do so it's a tough call. If it were me and a friend were giving me a gift like that, I might personally feel awkward for accepting such a gift if it wasn't something that's ever happened before. Once I got past the "Wow, did she really just get me such a great gift?!" then I'd use it. I enjoy giving special gifts but only if it's for a meaningful occasion and it's something memorable. When my boss announced he was leaving our previous job (before I knew I'd be working for him again) I gave him an engraved Tiffany pen. I just saw it as a nice gesture, something he'd remember, and he taught me a lot so I wanted it to be special. I didn't know it was his first Tiffany item ever and now he uses the thing every single day... I think it's glued to his hand...

That's just a couple examples. Again, you know your friend better than any of us, so do what your heart says to do :smile: I wouldn't worry about offending her though.

My best friend is having a baby and I just bought her a bag she's more of a coach girl and she was very happy that I got her the bag. She want offended at all she absolutely loved it with a new baby on the way she wouldn't of been able to get it for herself.

Hi all.

That is a really expensive bag for such a personal choice. I think the idea is very gracious and sweet, but I suggest this: Make up a creative fun giant paper or poster board "coupon" and gift her that, good for "one fun day of shopping at Louis Vuitton" ~ your treat. That way you can go together, let her pick something out. If her comfort level is just a pochette or a wallet, GREAT. But just communicate to her you're able and willing to go up to xx such and such amount because you think she deserves it. A store gift card would be nice/ a little better too imo, than choosing her purse for her.

I think something like that might be better than just BLAM gifting a high end bag that you chose. You know what I mean? :smile:

Good luck! How sweet you are!

Last edited:
I have given friends bags, no problem, but even though they were not cheap bags, they were not on the level of LV. I think if she has an idea that you can fairly easily afford it, then it is not that big of a deal. If she is under the impression that you scrimped and saved for it, obviously it would make her feel bad.

I think we all have an idea what our good friend's basic status is, financially. In other words, if I have an idea someone is easily able to afford Louis Vuitton, and they bought me a bag, I would be thrilled. Most of my friends would have to really save to be able to afford one, so I would never suspect they would give me one, and would feel really weird if they did so. I have to really save for a LV, so it is not a gift I could easily give. I could give Coach or D and B much more easily, and I have.

That is very sweet of you. I don't think she would be offended at all. I'd be very grateful if a good friend of mine purchased me an lv, I'd be over the moon. If she has been admiring your bags but is unable to purchase one herself I am sure she will be so grateful and excited for her gift. Lets us know what you decide.

Thanks everyone !
Theres a few good points to consider. I know she would be excited whatever i chose. Shes been through so much the last year i just want to do something special for her and to remind us how important she is to me and i suppose all of us, Im fortunate in that i dont have to think too much about if i want something i can just go get it , even though i dont always and am generally sensible and am always a " considered " purchaser .

we used to live in the same rural area and now ive moved 80 miles away so i dont get to see her as much as we would like even though we still talk every day etc.. she is coming to visit us in a few weeks ( basically my birthday, her birthday and both our husbands are within 4 weeks of each other ) My husband has already booked a Ferrari track day for both him and my friends husband followed by cocktails, dinner etc ... I wanted to give Keri something just a special but obviously meaningful .
I know if i just took her to see Sebastian in Lv it might make her feel uncomfortable. i know more or less what she likes as we have looked on the lv website together. Trying to get her in store would be like asking her to chop an arm off. For some reason she feels " she isnt good enough " which is silly but i understand she feel intimidated.

My husband thinks i should just book us in for a Facial at Harvey Nicholls, then take her for cocktails while we are waiting for the men then give it to her once ive got a few drinks down her ! :yahoo:

I want an empriente speedy, but I can't afford it right now. Let's just say, if you gifted me one, I WON'T be offended ;) hope that helps you make your decision! A real friend who knows you would appreciate it :biggrin: