Painting acrylic nails

oggers86

Dec 7, 2008
I currently have a french manicure acrylic nails but id like to paint them. If i use a clear base under thd colour this should prevent staining. If i took it off using acetone free nail varnish remover, will this affect how the nail looks? Will i just need to redo them with clear polish to keep the shininess?

Now that i have nails i am desperate to paint them in all different colours. I have a feeling they are going to become a permanent fixture if i can change the colours.

Yep it won't be a problem you can even use regular acetone so long as you don't leave it on so long. I used to have acrylic on top of my nails for strength. You might consider trying shellac or gellous instead to enable you to grow out your neutral nails I've heard they can help. Acrylic if worn for a long time makes your nails very weak, I wore it for about two years and took it off last June my nails were very thin and were like paper I cut them short to grow them out.

PolishQueen said:
Yep it won't be a problem you can even use regular acetone so long as you don't leave it on so long. I used to have acrylic on top of my nails for strength. You might consider trying shellac or gellous instead to enable you to grow out your neutral nails I've heard they can help. Acrylic if worn for a long time makes your nails very weak, I wore it for about two years and took it off last June my nails were very thin and were like paper I cut them short to grow them out.

Thanks! Ive only had acrylics once before and like you said they made my natural nails stupidly soft so i ended up biting them off! Will keep these on for as long as possible and consider the other options. I need something impossible to bite through if i am going to have a chance of growing my nails.

Thanks! Ive only had acrylics once before and like you said they made my natural nails stupidly soft so i ended up biting them off! Will keep these on for as long as possible and consider the other options. I need something impossible to bite through if i am going to have a chance of growing my nails.

I used to be a nail bitter aswell, but i stopped when i started keeping a nail file on hand. My sister still bites her nails, they look terrible and she has arcrylic nails put on though she has almost no nail bed at all, she does it from boredom and stress. I take it you've tried that stuff they paint on nails that taste bad?

I used to be a nail bitter aswell, but i stopped when i started keeping a nail file on hand. My sister still bites her nails, they look terrible and she has arcrylic nails put on though she has almost no nail bed at all, she does it from boredom and stress. I take it you've tried that stuff they paint on nails that taste bad?

I have tried the stuff and it does work if I am consistent at putting it on. The trouble is it taints everything you touch!

I painted my acrylics pale green last night which was like a whole new experience, I dont remember the last time I painted my fingernails with anything but horrible tasting stuff!

Its only been a week but they are starting to grow out so not sure if I should get them taken off or get them infilled when its time. Was kind of hoping they would last more than 2 weeks but its not looking likely.

I have tried the stuff and it does work if I am consistent at putting it on. The trouble is it taints everything you touch!

I painted my acrylics pale green last night which was like a whole new experience, I dont remember the last time I painted my fingernails with anything but horrible tasting stuff!

Its only been a week but they are starting to grow out so not sure if I should get them taken off or get them infilled when its time. Was kind of hoping they would last more than 2 weeks but its not looking likely.

I used to go about three and a half weeks and a month between appointments to have them filled. What you need to do to extend the time is take off your polish and file and buff the bump of the acrylic down at the base of the nail. That extends the life of the acrylic and you don't have to get annoyed by the gap.