Slouchiness

carterazo

viendo carteras
O.G.
Dec 18, 2008
Hello Ladies,

I'm sure this is a question that is answered somewhere in the very loooong Florentine Satchel thread, but after some search I could not find it.

How well and how quickly does the Florentine Satchel slouch and become softer? Does it soften at all? For those who have the large bag, does it make the bag seem/feel a bit smaller when it slouches? For those who have both the large and "small" does one soften more than the other?

TIA!

It really all depends on how often that you carry it and what type of bag. For more structured bags such as the flap tab satchel...the leather tends to hold its shape more and while it will soften u may not notice it as much. The feed bag is a slouchy bag and has no real structure to it so it softens up nicely. The side pocket hobo is somewhat structured yet seemed to mold to me. The popular vachetta satchel softens with time and use too. Seems like after a couple weeks of solid use every day it starts to soften. In the summer months it seems the heat and sun softened my bags even more and the patina on the natural is beautiful. The leather kind of starts to become more pliable...it will never be as soft as glove leather but it does get softer with time. I haven't noticed size playing a part in softening...just the overall design and how it's made.

I have been using my new bordeaux Florentine satchel for the past two days and the leather is already softening up. Since I have the mini version, there is only so much this bag can slouch. But with the top flap getting a nice slouch, it looks better than when I first got it when it was a little stiff and now it stays folded over too.

It really all depends on how often that you carry it and what type of bag. For more structured bags such as the flap tab satchel...the leather tends to hold its shape more and while it will soften u may not notice it as much. The feed bag is a slouchy bag and has no real structure to it so it softens up nicely. The side pocket hobo is somewhat structured yet seemed to mold to me. The popular vachetta satchel softens with time and use too. Seems like after a couple weeks of solid use every day it starts to soften. In the summer months it seems the heat and sun softened my bags even more and the patina on the natural is beautiful. The leather kind of starts to become more pliable...it will never be as soft as glove leather but it does get softer with time. I haven't noticed size playing a part in softening...just the overall design and how it's made.

I see. does the bag end up forming a slight C on the bottom after a lot of wear and if you don't carry a whole lot?

I have been using my new bordeaux Florentine satchel for the past two days and the leather is already softening up. Since I have the mini version, there is only so much this bag can slouch. But with the top flap getting a nice slouch, it looks better than when I first got it when it was a little stiff and now it stays folded over too.

So does it feel like you have more room at the top at all?

So does it feel like you have more room at the top at all?
I'm not sure what you mean by having more room at the top, but when the top flap of the bag slouches, there is more room to put your arm through the handles if you want to hold the bag that way. As for the interior, I would say that when a bag slouches, you probably have less room because the height of the bag is reduced. Now when the leather of the bag softens up, the sides can expand outwards more and maybe that would give you the impression that you can fit more in there. But that may just be the repositioning of the contents outwards to accommodate the drop in height of the bag due to the slouch.

I'm not sure what you mean by having more room at the top, but when the top flap of the bag slouches, there is more room to put your arm through the handles if you want to hold the bag that way. As for the interior, I would say that when a bag slouches, you probably have less room because the height of the bag is reduced. Now when the leather of the bag softens up, the sides can expand outwards more and maybe that would give you the impression that you can fit more in there. But that may just be the repositioning of the contents outwards to accommodate the drop in height of the bag due to the slouch.
That's what I was looking for. Thanks!