Quandary

Mayfly285

Sep 19, 2012
Hi ladies!

I am still in a quandary over my Somerset satchels - oak vs choc. I rather like the oak - if only for her versatility - but am not happy that the little round disc on the zip pull has the mulberry tree on only one side, whereas the choc has it on both. It is clearly a sub that has slipped through QC - yet again. Do I keep her or is there a likelihood that a) Mulberry could locate and send me a proper disc b) Mulberry might discount her as a sub or c) I might still find one in a store and return this one? I'm in a real pickle as I don't fancy paying full sale price (if that makes sense!) of £360 (from £440) for a sub item!! :confused1:

Mayfly285 said:
Hi ladies!

I am still in a quandary over my Somerset satchels - oak vs choc. I rather like the oak - if only for her versatility - but am not happy that the little round disc on the zip pull has the mulberry tree on only one side, whereas the choc has it on both. It is clearly a sub that has slipped through QC - yet again. Do I keep her or is there a likelihood that a) Mulberry could locate and send me a proper disc b) Mulberry might discount her as a sub or c) I might still find one in a store and return this one? I'm in a real pickle as I don't fancy paying full sale price (if that makes sense!) of £360 (from £440) for a sub item!! :confused1:

Hi Mayfly. Maybe you can email mulberry with your concerns and see if you can get an exchange?

Hi Mayfly. Maybe you can email mulberry with your concerns and see if you can get an exchange?

I'm concerned that the bag is sold out, CP; only the choc was showing on the website before the sale ended. I don't know whether they stock spare discs anywhere - I'd be happy to have one sent out - or even a discount as only I'd know it was a sub ... Time is running out on this, too!! ;)

I'm concerned that the bag is sold out, CP; only the choc was showing on the website before the sale ended. I don't know whether they stock spare discs anywhere - I'd be happy to have one sent out - or even a discount as only I'd know it was a sub ... Time is running out on this, too!! ;)

I don't think they'd be any problems in getting a new disc. Mulberry keep a lot of parts and as this bag has only just be discontinued I don't think they'd be any problems in getting one.

I don't think they'd just send one to you though, as they'd probably want to fit it. Email them and see what they say, I don't think it would be an issue

I don't think they'd be any problems in getting a new disc. Mulberry keep a lot of parts and as this bag has only just be discontinued I don't think they'd be any problems in getting one.

I don't think they'd just send one to you though, as they'd probably want to fit it. Email them and see what they say, I don't think it would be an issue

Thank you! I feel daft not noticing it before, tbh but now I have, I can't ignore it! And now it always seems to swing around to the blank side when I get it out to have another look!! ;)

I think that you should phone them & see what they say they may be able to locate another bag. If not then I think you should send it back & keep the brown. They will probably turn up at the outlets eventually & maybe you could get another one then. :smile:

Hi Mayfly,

I'd ring and speak to customer services first thing tomorrow, ask them what options are open to you, replacement bag, replacement fob, partial refund, then weigh up which suits you best and take that offer.

Let us know how you get on....

:tup:

Last edited:
Hi Mayfly,

I'd ring and speak to customer services first thing tomorrow, ask them what options are open to you, replacement bag, replacement fob, partial refund, then weigh up which suits you best and take that offer.

Let us know hoe you get on....

:tup:

Thank you all for your advice. I feel so daft not even noticing it before - it's so unlike me, who is pickiness personified!! But I think I was sold on the choc and wasn't really considering the oak. Then I took my small oak Antony out, moaned about the lack of space, thought about the little oak Somerset and took her out to have a better look at her ...

She really is a sweetie and I can see myself using this style such a lot. Casual, but not as plain as the Antony, spacious, room in the zip pocket for my phone - just perfect for me!!

I hope I get somewhere with CS tomorrow - I'll keep you posted!! ;)

Hi mayfly I was very interested to read this thread as it made me look at my oak Somerset shoulder bag just bought in the sale. Mine only has the tree on one side as well so either we're both unlucky and have subs or the oak is 'meant' to be like that!? I'm very interested to hear what CS have to say about it! I also noticed the ring that holds the disc on has quite a big gap - not big enough for the disc to fall through as yet but even so I'm not sure it should be like that - is yours the same? See pic. I could try and push it together with pliers but don't want to make it worse!

image-1857569959.jpg

Hi mayfly I was very interested to read this thread as it made me look at my oak Somerset shoulder bag just bought in the sale. Mine only has the tree on one side as well so either we're both unlucky and have subs or the oak is 'meant' to be like that!? I'm very interested to hear what CS have to say about it! I also noticed the ring that holds the disc on has quite a big gap - not big enough for the disc to fall through as yet but even so I'm not sure it should be like that - is yours the same? See pic. I could try and push it together with pliers but don't want to make it worse!

View attachment 2030018

Hmm, that really is interesting gbw!! I'm sort of encouraged that yours also has only one tree!! :smile: The choc version has the tree on both sides and when I checked with a couple of ladies on the forum, who had Somerset drawstrings etc, they confirmed that theirs also had two. Whilst it's quite a minor gripe, I can't see why one bag (choc) should have two and the other (oak) only have one. The Somerset totes I looked at in Canopy also had two ...

As regards the disc that holds the ring - again, like yours, it has a large gap that I thought would need pliers to close it properly. Not really good enough! Perhaps the oaks went through on a dodgy machine or somebody with only one eye on the job!!

Very odd ...

Are you happy with yours though, despite the one tree and dodgy clip?! To be fair, I wouldn't have known about the tree thing except that I had the choc to compare it with! ;)

Tbh, the reason I'm dithering over the Somersets is that I can see a place for both of them, particularly if I decide to part with some of my lovely, criminally unused Anya Hindmarch bags that are currently languishing in dustbags and never see the light of day. If I'm honest, I use the same bags again and again, so the Somerset tote could be my "everyday" bag in choc or oak, with a couple of days where the Lexies or my beloved (choc!) Euston make an appearance instead. They suit me in terms of size, fit, weight, comfort - everything - and the classic colours won't date whilst the leather will just get more lovely. It's just this stupid one-tree issue that is annoying me because it's so silly but is bugging me now ... :cray: At least now I know that I'm not the only one with a rogue oak bag ... :confused1:

This also intrigued me so I checked my Somerset's, my choc Somerset tote from 2009 has the tree printed on both sides of the disc but my oak Somerset shoulder purchased a couple of weeks ago in the sale has the tree printed on one side!

image-2608763704.jpg

It's definitely starting to look like an oak only problem! To be honest I hadn't noticed it until reading your thread as I had nothing to compare it to. I love the bag with or without the extra tree! The gap worries me slightly in case it expands over time but the disk is quite thick and probably won't ever fall through it! Apart from that I think it's beautifully made and it's light and comfortable to carry and can be used in all weathers so definitely a keeper for me.