Help me decide? (Bags and wallets in Europe)

that_claudz

Jan 6, 2013
I am going to London and Paris this year and my mum is going to Europe (a few more countries than me) a few months before hand- could anyone suggest what are the best brands to purchase in terms of cost and originality while I am there?

Mum is only in place for a few days at a time (she's doing a tour) so I was hoping she could bring me a wallet. I like the YSL long wallets. Any other suggestions? Maybe even something in a lower price point?

I will definitely visit the LV shop in Paris. I can't decide if I should save my money and buy something there, or another brand that is cheaper in Europe.

I love the YSL Chyc and also thought of Alexander McQueen or another Burberry.

Any suggestions would be awesome, perhaps even something I haven't thought of yet! I would like to keep it to about $1000, otherwise I might not have much money left to shop for other things on my holidays! (I know that a lot of the bags I want are more than that... Suppose I'll have to save up if there's nothing cheaper that I like!)

Suggest away so I have a virtual wish list! Lol.

Prada and Gucci have good wallets and can be under 300 euro.

There's nothing like buying Chanel and LV from Paris. But they can be 300-800 euro.

Don't forget to get detax at the airport....so you can do more shopping at the duty free shops!

Love4H said:
Prada and Gucci have good wallets and can be under 300 euro.

There's nothing like buying Chanel and LV from Paris. But they can be 300-800 euro.

Don't forget to get detax at the airport....so you can do more shopping at the duty free shops!

Thanks for the tip of tax at airport! Is that going through each country or only on the way home?

I will have a look into Chanel as well then! Any suggestions for bags that are not too pricy? Would be nice to get a few! Haha.

Thanks for the tip of tax at airport! Is that going through each country or only on the way home?

I will have a look into Chanel as well then! Any suggestions for bags that are not too pricy? Would be nice to get a few! Haha.

You need to detax when you're leaving European Union. You show your passport, boarding pass, goods and receipts to the customer officer at the airport after registration for the flight. He stamps the receipts and with stamped receipts you go to the cashier to get your money. The procedure takes about 20-30 minutes depending on the line. You get cash about 10% of the purchased price or about 11% on your card 5-6 weeks later (it's your option, I always take the cash).

There are many threads on taxes on the tpf ;)

If you're interested in Chanel bags, check out the Chanel forum. There's a thread about bags under $3000. I can name few: mini flap, wallet on a chain, grand shopping tote, cerf tote. Not sure about the price for woc or mini flap but GST and cerf is about 1700 euro.

Good luck and enjoy Europe!

Thank you Love4H for your help!

There are so many bags I like that I could name but I would have no clue how much they really "are" as the prices are so inflated in Australia. I don't even bother looking here as I purchase most of my designer goods when I travel.

I will look into the tax, I have done that before leaving Australia but have never been to Europe so that will be something new for me! :smile:

10% is good to go and buy something else at duty free! Hehe.

lafemmenikita said:
If you are flying out of Heathrow don't forget the Chanel in Terminal 3, where purchases are VAT free. It has it's own thread in the Chanel forum.

Thank you! I will check out the forum!

These forums are encouraging to buy things! Haha!

We haven't booked our flights yet- but definitely will fly out of Heathrow as we will visit family in London first so I'll be booking to fly in there!

In Paris you can have a look at Jerôme Dreyfuss , Gérard Darel, and of course...Longchamp bags which you certainly already know about.
Jérôme Dreyfuss bags are gorgeous and the leather is amazing.
One of his most famous bag is the Billy which comes in all sorts of leathers and colours.
The medium size is around 500 euros.
Gérard Darel bags cost a little bit less and are excellent quality.
Have a look at their websites....

Mariapia said:
In Paris you can have a look at Jerôme Dreyfuss , Gérard Darel, and of course...Longchamp bags which you certainly already know about.
Jérôme Dreyfuss bags are gorgeous and the leather is amazing.
One of his most famous bag is the Billy which comes in all sorts of leathers and colours.
The medium size is around 500 euros.
Gérard Darel bags cost a little bit less and are excellent quality.
Have a look at their websites....

Thank you for the suggestion of the Billy- something I didn't even think of! Love the shape and size of the bag!