Maroon Sloane Arrived

Very pretty. Enjoy

wonderful colour on a great bag, congratulations to you :tup:

Congrats! Great car pix of your gorgeous BV. :smile:

It's so pretty

I would never think the Sloane would look that good in that color, but it's amazing! Nice photography! Congratulations and enjoy:smile:

Thanks LLA, papertiger, leilani, september, boxermom!! It was definitely a pleasant surprise for me too!!

Great! I finally figured out how to use the mini-quote feature. :smile:

How much heavier is the sloane than the large veneta?

Grietje, I don't find the sloane that much heavier than the veneta but for me it's not as comfortable to carry. Back when everyone lusted after the ferro sloane, my dd worked hard to track one down for me and for that reason I will never part with it, but I rarely carry it. I love the shape of the bag but it won't stay on my narrow shoulders and I have difficulty getting in and out of the bag. But that's me. Bisbee has one in moro and loves it. It's a beauty.

My answer has a lot of qualifiers in it. I used to have a nero nappa capri Sloane. I currently own a large nappa ebano Veneta. I did not own both at the same time, but weight is important to me, so I did weigh them separately (have since lost the exact weights though--sorry).

From what I remember, on the scale, the Sloane did actually weigh slightly more than the large Veneta. There is a lot of leather and lining in that Sloane, plus the Sloane has metal rings that are covered in leather. I could notice the weight of the Sloane when I held it by hand. BUT the additional weight was not very noticeable on the shoulder, probably because the wide shoulder strap distributed it so well.

These days, I think the Sloanes are made of light calf, so they might weigh slightly more than they used to when they were nappa (and in the case of ottone, goatskin). But I haven't tried them in person yet, so I don't actually know; I'm just basing this on the other vitellino lisse items that I've owned (which might differ from the current light calf, too--mine are several years old). I suspect that the Sloane is just as comfortable to carry, however.

BVmutAddict - Congrats on your Sloane! Maroon is one of the more recent BV colors where the name matches how the actual shade looks like IRL.

It's not that different:

Large Veneta = 0.5kg
Sloane (nappa umbria) = 0.6kg

The recent Sloanes made in light calf should not be far off in terms of weight.

I'm with LLANeedle though... I rarely use my Sloane because I find it a tad less comfortable when worn on my shoulder compared to the Veneta. When I do take it out for a spin, I carry it by hand. But everyone is built differently & I know a lot of people swear by the Sloane's super sexy slouch.

I love that! Your indoor picture really shows off the sheen on the leather. I am a big fan of the Sloane style, but do not carry it over my shoulder.

It's not that different:

Large Veneta = 0.5kg
Sloane (nappa umbria) = 0.6kg

I'll point out that the difference is about a quarter-pound (just over 3.5 ounces). To me, that is significant in that I can feel the difference (for knitters, it's like carrying around a full 100g skein of yarn as extra baggage)--but I admit, I'm sensitive to that sort of thing :lol:

Gorgeous!!! Congrats on this fantastic buy!

Very nice! Congratulations and thanks for sharing

Congrats! It is lovely!

Sloane is my favorite BV bag!
Congrats.
And that color just makes it POP!!

Enjoy!

Sloane is my favorite bag as well. The color is absolutely gorgeous.

It is really really beautiful!

Congrats on your maroon Sloane. It's gorgeous! I love the maroon color.

Thank you for the photo update--it's really lovely! I haven't seen maroon yet, so this is really helpful to me, too.

Enjoy!

BVmutAddict - Congrats on your Sloane! Maroon is one of the more recent BV colors where the name matches how the actual shade looks like IRL.

I love that! Your indoor picture really shows off the sheen on the leather. I am a big fan of the Sloane style, but do not carry it over my shoulder.

Thanks everyone again for the kind words!!! I can't wait to wear it out when the weather gets cooler! Maroon is definitely one of my favorite colors but it seems to be not that popular for the last couple years. I still remember I had my once favorite maroon coat from over 10 years ago but since then has not seen light. I'm really glad that I can get it in my most favorite BV style plus looks like wine red is going to be the hot color for this season!!

I'm curious about the switch from nappa to light calf. When did this happen and why, if anyone knows. It seems many of the other classic styles remain made out of nappa, so why the change for the sloane?