Putting a gucci in the washing machine.. Or other methods of cleaning

Jan 13, 2012
So I have a Gucci handbag. It's around 8 years old and is badly damaged.

I'm going to make it my project to restore it, it has some holes in the gucci fabric, so I'm considering adding some buttons or something sparkly to the front of it, and essentially designing my own bag.

Now, the fabric is pretty dirty from years of storage, but I'd like to keep the fabric (it's black with the Gs). Because the bag is badly damaged, I don't want to send it to be professionally cleaned because it would make more sense financially just to buy a new bag, so I'm looking to do something myself.

Does anyone have any advice/experience in cleaning gucci fabric? There aren't any particular stains, just general grime.

Or any ideas for disguising fabric holes!

Thanks in advance!

Its out of the washing machine, and looks AMAZING! Honestly I was so worried during the 30min cycle.

Before, you couldn't make out the G's on the top half of the bag it was so scruffy, but now I can see them perfectly. It's not dried yet, so we'll see how that turns out, but I'm amazed at the difference! It looks new! It's made one of the snags in the fabric around 1cm larger, but I'm going to disguise that anyway, just wanted a clean fabric to work with. The other snags are exactly the same as when they went in, and the leather is still shaped perfectly.

Method for anyone as brave: Wrap gucci in pillowcase, put on a hand wash cycle. 30 degrees, no spin, no turn, 25ml of my regular washing liquid (surf concentrate) & wait with fingers crossed!

I have piccys of before, so might take some once its dried to post

Reactions: SabrinaCostello86
Before the bag went in the washing machine..

(as you can see, the fabric has large tears. The main thing to point out is that the bags so scruffy that you can't even see the G's at the very top

Picture 3.png

And after the washing machine..

I've got a leather bow to go on the front which hides all of the damage to the fabric. As you can see, the fabric looks really clean, and you can see all of the G's at the top of the bag again.

I purchased this bag for less than $20 as something to experiment with so I'm most pleased with the result :smile: I've ended up liking it more than some of my much more expensive bags

What do you think?

Gucci2.jpg

Gucci3.jpg

Gucci1.jpg