products not as pictured

Hugs4LV

Jan 27, 2011
I'm not new to the internet. I have ordered quite a bit online, as DH reminds me. :smile: However, for the first time, I felt truly let down. I had my eye on a piece of clothing at Elie Tahari's online store for a whille. Gorgeous, but their stuff is made in china in not too limited quantites, hence it will go on sale eventually. And when it did, I was super excited to get what I wanted in my size and color. This was one of those things that I waited for- not something I usually do! Boy was I surprised when it came, nicely packaged, and turned out to be a watered down verision of the product pictured online.
I felt betrayed, if that is a word one can use in such a situation, but it seems appropriate. Let down was not even going to cover how I felt. Slowly this began to simmer into confusion- did I just imagine something else? So I ran back online, pulled up the page, and felt vindicated that my memory is indeed still supurb. Then the anger came. I called customer service and got a bs reply- oh well, we changed the product in mid production and didn't bother to change the website picture nor state it anywhere in the description, opps. Not even an apology! Returned it was and I thought that was it, the end.
Weeks go by, no refund. I contacted cs, got the runaround and no answer. Needless to say, my credit card co. is now having to take up the matter. I did not expect such crappy service from a company that, let's face it, does not sell at cheap prices. Even worse, this situation has made me question products as shown online vs what will actually be shipped. Has anyone else ran into a similar problem? Or was I just special enough to win the craptastic award?

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that you are having this trouble! I haven't dealt with this particular designer via the direct website, but I can tell you that I've had several issues in the past with items not matching website descriptions.

Having learned that lesson, I now prefer to shop online at places like zappos where they show you a video of the product so you see exactly what the item is, and if you are not satisfied, you have easy and hassle-free returns. As others have also mentioned, Nordstrom has a great returns policy that would also cover situations like this (and they offer free returns as well, with no time limit).

Thanks for the tip on Zappos. I didn't know they actually did videos. I saw a few vids at shopbop.com, but it's been a while since I checked into zappos.
The rub of the matter with elie tahari is that I did everything to the dot in terms of their return policy- I know now which designer I will avoid!!

Thanks for the tip on Zappos. I didn't know they actually did videos. I saw a few vids at shopbop.com, but it's been a while since I checked into zappos.
The rub of the matter with elie tahari is that I did everything to the dot in terms of their return policy- I know now which designer I will avoid!!

Zappos also has this neat thing where they give you the stats on their models so you can get a better idea of how clothes might fit on you. http://www.zappos.com/c/measurements

Zappos also has this neat thing where they give you the stats on their models so you can get a better idea of how clothes might fit on you. http://www.zappos.com/c/measurements

Neat idea...but looking at that, I can see some serious disparities between the models' given measurements, their listed sizes, and (in many cases) their pictures...I saw multiple girls with 39" hips say they can fit in a 28, and speaking from experience, that only happens with seriously vanity-sized AND stretchy pairs (28 = 37" hips, 29 = 38" hips, 30 = 40" hips, so 39 is right between a 29 and 30). Most of the inseams seem really off compared to the girls' heights as well (I wonder if 5'9 30-inseam girl is measuring her inseam with skinny jeans that don't actually have to come close to touching the floor. I'm the top-tallest person I know and not even I'm THAT top-tall)

Neat idea...but looking at that, I can see some serious disparities between the models' given measurements, their listed sizes, and (in many cases) their pictures...I saw multiple girls with 39" hips say they can fit in a 28, and speaking from experience, that only happens with seriously vanity-sized AND stretchy pairs (28 = 37" hips, 29 = 38" hips, 30 = 40" hips, so 39 is right between a 29 and 30). Most of the inseams seem really off compared to the girls' heights as well (I wonder if 5'9 30-inseam girl is measuring her inseam with skinny jeans that don't actually have to come close to touching the floor. I'm the top-tallest person I know and not even I'm THAT top-tall)

I'm sure there's some discrepancies in the measurements, but I think the general idea is that between the videos and those measurements, you'd get a much better idea of how something would fit your own frame rather than just by looking at a shapeless piece of fabric or something. But yeah, the 30" inseam seems odd, unless for some reason the 5'9" person is wearing super baggy pants where the crotch is mid-thigh or something....:lol: